Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage redline shift points... (Read 147 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Savage redline shift points...
06/30/12 at 16:20:34

Note: Please post questions in the Rubberside or PM me...

NOTE... Due to speedo error with stock tire,.. the speeds shown on the second chart will show the shift points as your speedometer indicates...
... but,.. with the stock rear tire,.. you real speed will be shown on the first chart...
Hope that makes sense... Huh...

Stock rear tire...(these are actual shift points, not relative to speedo)(...for speedo shift points, use the 2nd chart, below this one)...

With a 140/90-15 rear tire... (actual... speedo shift points and actual match...)(this tire size corrects speedo error)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Savage redline shift points...
Reply #1 - 06/30/12 at 16:23:59

I goofed...  Adding a speed chart shortly... Wink...

« Last Edit: 07/01/12 at 10:03:56 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage redline shift points...
Reply #2 - 06/30/12 at 16:29:30

how did you do your calculations?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/30/12 at 16:31:33

Gearing Commander...
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/30/12 at 17:12:32

If one is trying to accelerate as quickly as possible on an engine that's clearly not built to rev high, shift points are really easy to figure out. As soon as the bike feels like it's not accelerating as hard as it was, you're out of its power-band. It's now time to shift. There's no need to focus on any of your gauging.

You should never be focused on your gauging in the first place. This is why race cars have shift lights. Even on engines that will rev past their limits, you still should never be focused on your gauging - the light will tell you when you need to shift.
Keep your eyes on the road.

There is a reason why these bikes don't have tachometers - they don't need one. Learn your bike and it will tell you what you need to know.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/30/12 at 17:50:53

Yup,.. Cavi's right... and these aren't recommended shift points... these are maximum redline shift points...
Your bike will go faster if you get out of that gear before you redline...

These are top speeds in each gear...  

Max torque is somewhere between 3000rpm and 5500rpm...
To get good acceleration you want to cross that point in each gear and re-enter it in the next...
... and learn to feel it in yer' pants... Tongue...

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 06/30/12 at 18:36:38

See now my question is ...just how low can you shift? cause I tend bog a good bit. The torque monster dont seem to mind.  I generally hit 5th by 40 or so.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/30/12 at 18:44:04

I know these bikes don't really need a tach, but I find it so much cooler to have one. I look more at the tach then the speedo. I got so used to it, that I know how fast I am going going by the rpm and what gear I'm in.

Anyway, from my experience it seems it is best to shift at around 6,000 rpm the latest, when best acceleration is demanded. Everything beyond will work, but with less pull. Going to 6,500 is pointless on a stock motor, although with a modified exhaust, reset and air intake modifications it is not as useless anymore. On my bike it revs to 6,500 effortless, but still best acceleration is achieved when shifting at 6,000. That means 2nd gear around 50mph, 3rd gear around 70mph and 4th gear a little over 80mph.

I still wonder if the bike had enough power to reach 95mph with a longer 5th gear to reduce rpm's at all speeds.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/30/12 at 18:49:11

Pine wrote on 06/30/12 at 18:36:38:
See now my question is ...just how low can you shift? cause I tend bog a good bit. The torque monster dont seem to mind.  I generally hit 5th by 40 or so.

That's kinda how I ride it myself. 35mph in 4th gear around town is pretty relaxed riding, and it still pulls hard when cracking it open without having to shift in most cases. This equals to around 2,500rpm. However dropping down to less than that and trying to accelerate still does it, but the motor doesn't seem to like that very much. That's when it starts to "hammer".

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/30/12 at 22:27:57

116.8 mph? 122.something mph? Has my brian cell fallen out?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 06/30/12 at 22:37:30

J C Stokes wrote on 06/30/12 at 22:27:57:

Ya beat me to it JC  Grin. I was thinking the same thing...I mean...I've had mine to 90mph on the interstate when passing a line of trucks and had power to spare but those speeds???? Must just be the computer models numbers.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/30/12 at 23:02:07

ZAR wrote on 06/30/12 at 22:37:30:

Ya beat me to it JC  Grin. I was thinking the same thing...I mean...I've had mine to 90mph on the interstate when passing a line of trucks and had power to spare but those speeds???? Must just be the computer models numbers.

I'll tell you right now that ain't no average savage, that's a super savage.
The kind that Oldfeller built, the kind that Lancer has built.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/01/12 at 01:36:12

If you read the chart,.. those speeds are at 7800rpm...  You ain't gettin' there with a Savage...

Redline is 97 and 101... ... if you can get there...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 07/01/12 at 03:09:58

verslagen1 wrote on 06/30/12 at 23:02:07:
ZAR wrote on 06/30/12 at 22:37:30:

I'll tell you right now that ain't no average savage, that's a super savage.
The kind that Oldfeller built, the kind that Lancer has built.

Terrible truth time -- my bike won't break 100 unless it has a big long flat or down hill straight away.   My air resistance "sail" is simply too big, I need more hp to quickly hit higher speeds than that.   I would need 60+ hp to run up over 100 mph quickly,  as I already have the RPM band to do 90 mph worth of it in 4th gear, finishing it in 5th gear.

Next terrible truth, my bike is fast on the Dragon simply because I have just a little more acceleration and I am willing to use it.    I don't ride better than BigZuk or Lancer or MMRanch or even Dave, the new guy on the Dragon -- all of them keep cleaner lines and actually clear a turn quicker.

Truth be told, I love following behind Zuk so I can watch to see how he does it.  He smokes his rear and front brakes he hits them so hard deep in the first part of a turn (his rotor is deep purple by the time he finishes a hard run).   He has the experience and guts to do stuff like that.   I make up the difference by greater accel in the straight added to  some double line cheating when I have an insider with a sight line to see nobody is coming at me.   Otherwise Zuk would run away from me.  Zuk is the fastest man on the Dragon out of the lot of us guys.

Lancer's Rex is clearly the most powerful bike of the lot of us -- but he is prone to breakage so he never gets ridden long enough for Lancer to get fully up to speed on his current configuration.   If Lancer ever got up to speed on a Rex (Rex is slightly different pieces every time you see him) all we would see is brake lights fading in the distance.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/01/12 at 07:18:44

Truth be told, I love following behind Zuk so I can watch to see how he does it.  He smokes his rear and front brakes he hits them so hard deep in the first part of a turn (his rotor is deep purple by the time he finishes a hard run).

Id better be a real fast learner, cuz IM only gonna get one lesson, cuz if hes doin that, hes gonna be leavin me so far behind Ill never see him enter the 2nd corner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage redline shift points...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.