Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lowering a RYCA additionally (Read 120 times)
sean1479
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

lowering a RYCA additionally
06/30/12 at 07:33:03

Hi, I have a Ryca bike and am looking into the possibility of lowering it an inch or two.  The reason is because I am 5'7" and with the 31 inch inseam on the bike, it is slightly too tall. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. My ideas are too-
1)possibly find a new front fork that is slightly shorter to install on the front end of the ryca, and then correspondingly go to a 12 or 11 inch progressive rear shock set to balance it out
2)lower the battery box, lower the seat pan, cut the frame even lower in the back where the seat attaches to, and install an aftermarker seat on there that will fit and be horizontal.
3) lower the front shock even further on the savage fork, leaving only 1.5 inches of travel, then swapping out the rear shock accordingly to match.

I won't be doing extremely hardcore riding on this bike, so tight corners and leans won't be an issue, i.e. scraping the bike on turns.  It is more important to me to be on a bike where both feet are on the ground when I come to a stop.  Additionally, on a bike this light, a lower center of gravity will be nice to have at higher speeds, leaving one feeling less like a leaf about to blown around at highway speeds.  

I am have limited mechanical experience and was hoping that someone might reply to this topic with some know-how on the subject, I appreciate any and all input.  Thank you.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: lowering a RYCA additionally
Reply #1 - 06/30/12 at 07:38:31

That should be easy enough to do.
Replacement rear shocks can be had in almost any length, and the way the RYCA guys did the fork lowering, you can lower it to any length that you want. The only trade-off is that you will lose suspension travel, and if you lose to much of that you'll either need to set the bike up for a REALLY stiff ride, or you will be bottoming out the suspension a lot.

Still, I don't think what you are looking to do is too radical or too crazy...

The guys here at Chop-Cult lowered their forks by almost 4" I think, or something crazy like that for their bobber build. I think that's pretty extreme, but their "HOW-TO" blog shows everything step by step. It's exactly what the RYCA guys did, except that they installed longer spacers in the bottom.

Check it out here...
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7129

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/30/12 at 07:38:40

1.5" of travel won't be nearly enough on the front.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/30/12 at 07:51:41

arteacher wrote on 06/30/12 at 07:38:40:
1.5" of travel won't be nearly enough on the front.

I agree! The lower you go, the sharper the ride will get. I think the Chop-cult guys went too far. Looks Wicked; bet it rides like crap.

I posted the thread because the job is the same, no matter how low you choose to go. The RYCA guys dropped by 2". I might go 2&1/2, maybe 3" tops, but even that will probably be pushing your luck.

The cool thing about this mod though is that it's just a matter of the size of your spacers. If you lower it 3" and it's way too harsh, you can un-do it pretty easily and adjust until you get the right compromise between your height and ride quality.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/30/12 at 07:59:03

If you only need a little,.. an 11" rear shock should do it... (Watch for tire clearance)...
Any more lowering will hurt handling... front is already suffering from lack of travel...
...Or,.. some taller boots...
... even setting the 12"s you have on a softer setting might give you an inch, for free...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sean1479
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/30/12 at 08:29:28

Simply lowering the rear shock will change the angle overall of the bike I'm assuming.  It will lower the bike, but at the expense of the bike being taller in the front overall.  I would have to do the math to figure out exactly how much lower it will make the bike overall for each inch lost on one side of a triangle, the triangle being formed by the shock, distance from top of shock to rear swing arm, and length of swingarm.  When that is figured out, doing similar math on the front will give the exact amount you should lower the front by and adjust accordingly.

Lowering the front shock seems do-able but is a last resort to deal with the issue, due to the loss of travel involved.  Has anyone tried the other option, to find a fork from another bike that is slightly shorter anyways, that fits the savage and thus does not have to compromise front shock travel?   Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/30/12 at 09:00:01

Nope... lower forks will have less travel.. regardless of brand... It's just a matter of distance from tree to tire...

Real extreme... but good solution...  lace up to a 18" or 17" front wheel... then drop to a 11" rear shock...

This is way more pricey than taller boots... Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/30/12 at 09:14:16

YOu mite get where ya wanna be with a seat that is narrow enough to not spread those little stubby legs too much, Small built people sitting on a wide sadlle cant point their legs down,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/30/12 at 10:09:12

Serowbot wrote on 06/30/12 at 09:00:01:
Nope... lower forks will have less travel.. regardless of brand... It's just a matter of distance from tree to tire...

Real extreme... but good solution...  lace up to a 18" or 17" front wheel... then drop to a 11" rear shock...

This is way more pricey than taller boots... Grin...

Actually, it's not too too bad.
It is a bit of a pain in the butt, but I found a used 18" rim on Fleabay for about $65 I think, and it's a fancy, vintage Akront high shoulder rim. A brand new rim can be had for around $100 I think...
Buchannan's knows what spokes to get; those were $125 or so I think?
I'm fortunate that I know someone locally who knows how to lace a new rim who is going to help me with that next week. It is tricky, and not something I would tackle myself, but it's possible. There are lots of tutorials online if you want to learn how to do it yourself.
It's a pretty common thing to do among the Cafe Racer crowd...

It'll lower your front by 1/2"
Remember to take into account your tire height as well: a 100/90/18 tire is going to be taller than a 100/80/18 or 100/70/18, etc. Do some searching around to see what sizes might be available for your bike...

IP Logged
sean1479
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/30/12 at 12:58:25

I guess changing the size of the front rim is another way to drop the front end.  I believe the size on there currently is a 19".  If you are dropping the size of the wheel in front I am going to assume the bike will have better turning ability correct?  Other threads I have read concerning this state that you will have better turning ability at lower speeds, less so at higher speeds. I guess that is perfectly acceptable for a bike such as a cafe racer if you are keeping the speed under 75 mph most of the time.   If you go too small of a tire, you will move the center of gravity forward and be more apt to spin out with the rear.  BUT if you are lowering the back as well, I guess that would mitigate it somewhat.  As far as changing the seat diameter, that's kind of tough to do since you are limited by the width of the frame.  One thing I have learned from all this is that once you start modifying stuff on a bike it affects everything else, from weight distribution to handling to fit of individual parts.  It's pretty nuts.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/30/12 at 15:42:17

A smaller front wheel will give you a quicker turning response. It's neither better or worse; it's just different, and really depends on the rider to decide if you like it. Although the bike might seem quicker and more "flickable" in twisty road conditions, it might also seem twitchy and less stable in other conditions...

Most sport bikes use a 17" front wheel as standard, and the old 1980's Nighthawk S and Interceptor models, among others, even used a 16" front wheel. A 16" rim on the Savage would lower the front end by almost and inch and a half... without messing with the forks at all...

The stock Savage/S40 has a 19", so dropping to 18" isn't a drastic change, and the effect would be softened if the rear suspension were lowered at the same time as well. (If you only lowered the front, not only would it be shorter, but the fork angle would be steeper, which also makes for quicker steering.

And yes, a narrower seat would help get your feet closer to the ground, but the RYCA seat is very narrow already....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/30/12 at 19:18:43

Not long after I got my bike I was runnin down the road & saw a guy on an M50. He was so short he had to hop almost off the bike to put one leg down. His right leg was up & on the seat. Dude couldnt have been 4 feet tall, but he was ridin a bigger bike than I was,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/02/12 at 09:58:37

Serowbot stated the best option for you.

The stock shocks are about 10 inches or so long. The ones Ryca puts on there are 13 inches.  

If you lower the shocks without changing the rear tire/wheel size you will likely hit the light on bumps. I think Ryca says you need 2.5 inches of free space for suspension travel and they are right in that area already.

To keep a cafe look you could go to a 17 on the back and either a 17 or 18 on the front and lose some height.  It sounds like you would have to find someone to do the work, so you are looking at about $300 bucks per wheel. And another $100 for shocks. I would start asking myself if I like the bike so much that I want to dump another $700 bucks or more into it.

There are lots of options out there and this change will end up changing the look of the bike, it may not be as cool looking when done, hopefully , but maybe not.

Then again, you can sell of the parts you remove and re-coup a lot of the cost. I know those wheels would sell pretty easy if you left them intact.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/02/12 at 10:14:03

Spamy wrote on 07/02/12 at 09:58:37:
Serowbot stated the best option for you.

I thought my "taller shoes" idea was a winner... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/02/12 at 10:37:07

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lowering a RYCA additionally

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.