Painting & Paint Guns (Read 147 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Painting & Paint Guns
06/29/12 at 15:25:55

Anybody know of any paint guns that work fairly well with the smaller air compressors??  All I have access to right now is one of the smaller 2 tank ones that put out maybe 3.5 cfm I think.

Or would I be better off trying to do it rattle can style since I can't afford to upgrade my compressor.  I just can't grow into the Suzuki yellow. Tongue

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Painting & Paint Guns
Reply #1 - 06/29/12 at 15:38:10

I have one of those compressors, and paint fairly well with a low pressure paint gun (the paint gun and compressor work OK it is just my lack of skills)

mine is just like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVLP-SPRAY-GUN-High-Volume-Low-Pressure-PAINT-paintin...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 06/29/12 at 15:47:07

Thanks for the info Ich,  Glad to know they work O.K. with the smaller compressors.  Will have to pick me up one of those and give a a shot.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/29/12 at 15:50:16

and give a a shot.

Ohhh No you Didnt!

& Ive seen paint done with rattle cans that was simply gorgeous.

No matter the equipment, I am in no danger of creating a nice paint job,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 06/29/12 at 15:52:31

It's been awhile for me so I don't know how well I'm gonna do.  I figure I'll practice first on a few of my computer cases, before I move onto the Savage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/29/12 at 16:00:24

That computes,, even for me

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 06/29/12 at 16:25:36

I've got enough of them to practice on.   I have 1 server and 3 other towers in the house I can use for practice.  Plus 2 laptops if I need more practice. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/29/12 at 17:52:58

Get what is called a trim gun and practice with it. You don't really need much bigger for a Savage anyway, when the cup is empty you're ready for the next panel (s) or a beer anyway. Or for the same price as a good trim gun, get a cheap imported HVLP, you can spray the whole bike with one or two full cups of paint.

Have fun with it. Worst case you have to sand off some funky spots.

Painted cars, trucks and bikes for years. If you want a fairly cheap really durable only kinda toxic paint job, buy some Interlux Brightside Marine paint. Good stuff and less than 1/3 the price of automotive paints.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 06/29/12 at 18:00:28

WD wrote on 06/29/12 at 17:52:58:
Get what is called a trim gun and practice with it. You don't really need much bigger for a Savage anyway, when the cup is empty you're ready for the next panel (s) or a beer anyway. Or for the same price as a good trim gun, get a cheap imported HVLP, you can spray the whole bike with one or two full cups of paint.

Have fun with it. Worst case you have to sand off some funky spots.

Painted cars, trucks and bikes for years. If you want a fairly cheap really durable only kinda toxic paint job, buy some Interlux Brightside Marine paint. Good stuff and less than 1/3 the price of automotive paints.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines myself.  Either of those 2 would work for me as the biggest paint job I have in the foreseeable future is my computer towers.

R.F.

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/30/12 at 09:25:51

I've been using one of those side feed Harbor Freight "touch up" guns (got it on sale for $7.99) for around 10 years now for doing touch and detail work on $1 million + luxury motor coaches. I HAVE painted parts (up to about the same size as a rear fender on the Savage) and had satisfactory results. Would I paint my bike with it? No, I have way better guns and access to a huge compressor that can power anything that runs on air. It all comes down to what results you find acceptable -vs- how much (time or money) you want to spend. I say"time" because you can paint your bike with a brush (or a Wagner airless sprayer), and if you spend enough time polishing you can end up with a very nice looking paint job. Would I recommend going this route? No, it's way easier to just use the proper paint gun and compressor in the first place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/30/12 at 10:10:44

Yea, you can do it Sarges way, or you can do it my way. My way takes less time, but costs more,, cuz I SUKK at painting, so, Id have to pay someone,

Good luck & please post pics of the project & end result.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 06/30/12 at 15:24:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/30/12 at 10:10:44:
Yea, you can do it Sarges way, or you can do it my way. My way takes less time, but costs more,, cuz I SUKK at painting, so, Id have to pay someone,

Good luck & please post pics of the project & end result.

I will post pics when done.  Will probably be more of a Fall/Winter project when I try it on the savage though.  Want to get some practice in before I try it on the bike.  It's been along time since I've done any painting, and I want to do a fairly decent job on it.  

Yes I know it takes alot of work to get it done right Sarge.  Lots of sanding, buffing and polishing.  Plus lots of prep work is the key to a good finish as well.

R.F.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/30/12 at 16:16:31

You should also look at getting an inline air filter for the compressor. They can build up condensation, and end up spraying water and oil out along with the air, and that will mix right into your paint...   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 06/30/12 at 16:19:09

Already have one for my compressor.  I've always used the water filters on them. Didn't like the milky stuff on my hands when using my air tools. Smiley

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/30/12 at 16:21:18

rfw2003 wrote on 06/30/12 at 16:19:09:
Already have one for my compressor.  I've always used the water filters on them. Didn't like the milky stuff on my hands when using my air tools. Smiley

SMARTY-PANTS!!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:16:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting & Paint Guns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.