Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Painting & Paint Guns
Reply #15 - 07/01/12 at 12:30:43

I bought one of the Harbor Freight HVLP guns.  I was going to buy the small one that was on sale for $ 8.00.....but bought a bigger one for about $ 20.  It works well, and just takes a little bit of learning.  In the past I have used a Binks #7. and it puts out a lot of paint and makes a very fine mist.  The HVLP blows out much larger paint droplets with very little mist.  The Binks #7 does a smoother job - but fills the air with the paint mist.  The HVLP makes for more orange peel - but you can put most of the paint on the surface.  When I am painting an old piece of farm equipment outdoors the HVLP works very well as the wind does not blow the paint mist away like it would if I used the #7.

If you are using a lacquer, epoxy or catalyzed paint that you can sand out the orange peel - the HVLP gun can do a great job.

The only problem I had with the HVLP gun was that there is a little adjustment for air flow at the bottom of the handle that is very easy to bump - and the first time I used it the thing worked great - then suddenly the flow was really crappy and it would not paint well.  Finally I found that valve and opened it up again.....and then it worked fine.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/01/12 at 12:47:12

Dave, you should always use a regulator on the paint gun, specially on an HVLP, where VOLUME is king. The "cheater valve" on the bottom of the gun reduces the volume of air to reduce the pressure and should always be run wide open.

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/01/12 at 12:59:23

One piece of advice I always tell anyone thinking about painting their own stuff. Follow the manufacturers mixing instructions to a "t". I've seen way too many new painters think they know more than the maker of the paint and over reduce, under reduce, "doctor" the hardener, etc, that can REALLY mess up your results. I worked with a guy (great airbrush artist, NEWB painter) that was trying to rush a clear job on a pick-up that he'd spent around 50 hours airbrushing (not cheap). The problem was that he only had hardener for HOT temps, so he added extra hardener, when this didn't work he added MORE hardener on the next coat, and then even more on the final coat. What he ended up with was a cottage cheese like finish that never dried, and he ended up having to strip the paint off. Then he rushed the airbrushing the second time because he was already "upside down" on the profit and the customer was NOT happy with the results.

Long story short, if you have any questions always get professional help, guessing will almost never work out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/02/12 at 05:05:54

cyclesarge wrote on 07/01/12 at 12:47:12:
Dave, you should always use a regulator on the paint gun, specially on an HVLP, where VOLUME is king. The "cheater valve" on the bottom of the gun reduces the volume of air to reduce the pressure and should always be run wide open.

I have a regulator at the gun, and also a regulator and water seperator at the wall where the metal plumbing stops and the hose starts.  The little valve at the bottom of the handle caught me by surprise the first time I used it.  I was spraying and all was well with the world....then suddenly the gun just stopped spraying and started drooling paint.  It took me a little while to find the valve at the bottom of the handle as the cause......it just wasn't a place I was used to making any adjustments on a spray gun.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting & Paint Guns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.