Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Do you carry?
Reply #15 - 06/29/12 at 15:30:10

PS...   pepper spray is not a bad option,.. at closer than 15ft it can be more effective than a non-lethal gunshot...
... and it doesn't carry the stigma of a sidearm...

I tested a tiny bit once... Man!, that stuff burns!...
I keep that memory in my "huge mistake" box... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/29/12 at 15:45:00

pepper spray is not a bad option

True, I have some around. Im not excited about the idea of shooting someone.Id much rather get someone to realize they shouldnt be here w/o hurting them, Im also not willing to let some big dog chew me up, & some come traipsing thru & I have small, yappy dogs. So far, theres never been a Big Ugly moment,,but some of the dogs that cruise thru here are Pitts & others are just BIG,, so, I keep that stuff in the shop & in the house, handy. I also have some special wipes to neutralize it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 06/29/12 at 15:50:44

Now stray animals that rome into my yard I shoot on site. Stray people I don't fancy shooting unless there is a real reason to do so.  So far I've never had to.  I've only drawn one of my weapons once on someone at that has only been at my residence but I didn't have to fire it. Drawing the weapon was enough to get them to leave.  That shook me up plenty enough after the situation just having to draw it on a person.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/29/12 at 15:54:34

If I have time, I have a pellet rifle & can run the dogs off.. Im not about to pop a dog with a gun,, we are oput in the country & there are loads of people whose dogs run free. As long as its not doing damage Ill let it pass freely. Ive had one show up on cold wet nights a few times & Ive given it a place to get warm & dry,,dang, thats an ugly dog, but, I expect someone loves it., so,, Im cool to it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 06/29/12 at 15:56:57

I'm out in the country myself,  that is why my first 2 rounds in the Shotty are rock salt rounds.  I do give the dogs a chance now that one of my neighbors has moved and taken their mean dogs with them, that tended to try and attack in a pack fashion. Most of the animals that tend to come onto my land, do create damage that's why I do shoot at them. I don't do it just for sport.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 06/29/12 at 16:02:02

Hey,, different situations require different ways of dealing,, rock salt is a Great Deterrent!
What gauge Shotty you using?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #21 - 06/29/12 at 16:04:18

I've always found it interesting that some folks think guns are the problem, and others who think they are the solution.   For those who think the latter...   since you feel safer with a gun, how would you feel if everyone was packing?  Doesn't the same thinking extend to everyone?  In fact, let's extend the philosophy and give every nation a nuke - same idea; just a matter of scale.   If you don't agree with that, just reduce the concept back down to one person and I think you see my point.

I have guns and enjoy plinking at tin cans, but I don't and wouldn't carry one for the reasons that Serow and some others have stated.   However, that said, there were two times in my riding experiences where I actually found myself reconsidering...

Once was on the Lakota Sioux reservation in South Dakota.   I had made a side trip to the Wounded Knee cemetery to visit and pay my respects.  When I exited my bike was surrounded by 3 big drunk Lakota Sioux Indians who demanded a "tour fee" of $50.   I was riding solo on their reservation, and there was no one else around for as far as you could see.   I only had about $35 in my wallet, which they graciously accepted and drove away.  If I had been packing and pulled the gun, I'm sure things would have turned out differently, and I may not be writing this today.

The only other time was riding across the Yukon Territory and Alaska.   Up there, you have to rethink trip planning and safety because something as simple as a flat tire or running out of fuel can kill you in any number of ways.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #22 - 06/29/12 at 16:22:08

360k+ wrote on 06/29/12 at 16:04:18:
I've always found it interesting that some folks think guns are the problem, and others who think they are the solution.   For those who think the latter...   since you feel safer with a gun, how would you feel if everyone was packing?  Doesn't the same thinking extend to everyone?  In fact, let's extend the philosophy and give every nation a nuke - same idea; just a matter of scale.   If you don't agree with that, just reduce the concept back down to one person and I think you see my point.

I have guns and enjoy plinking at tin cans, but I don't and wouldn't carry one for the reasons that Serow and some others have stated.   However, that said, there were two times in my riding experiences where I actually found myself reconsidering...

Once was on the Lakota Sioux reservation in South Dakota.   I had made a side trip to the Wounded Knee cemetery to visit and pay my respects.  When I exited my bike was surrounded by 3 big drunk Lakota Sioux Indians who demanded a "tour fee" of $50.   I was riding solo on their reservation, and there was no one else around for as far as you could see.   I only had about $35 in my wallet, which they graciously accepted and drove away.  If I had been packing and pulled the gun, I'm sure things would have turned out differently, and I may not be writing this today.

The only other time was riding across the Yukon Territory and Alaska.   Up there, you have to rethink trip planning and safety because something as simple as a flat tire or running out of fuel can kill you in any number of ways.

Myself I don't think Guns are the Problem Nor are they the Answer. The people themselves are the problem.  It's not the guns that kill it's the people using them that kill.  Same with the nukes. The bomb itself doesn't decide when and where to blowup it's the people controlling it, that does.

Mostly I have guns just to do target shooting. Yes I have them around for protection as well, and hope they never have to be used for that. I don't go around looking for trouble, because if you do that's exactly what you will find. One day I will get me a Remington 700 style rifle in .338 Lapua so I can start learning long range target shooting like I've always wanted to.  The 10/22 is fun for backyard plinking but I really want to get into the long range stuff and see if I can master that.

R.F.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/29/12 at 16:29:34

Just because someone is a black belt, that doesnt mean they should go Bruce Lee every time someone does them wrong. Being armed & pulling a gun when its possible to walk away with a loss but no huge drama & trauma is wiser. Just HAVING a gun doesnt demand its use. WISDOM & Self control are important. Nukes kill across an area,indiscriminately, a gun kills its target, No Comparison, thats a game people play,, weak, very weak,

As long as criminals KNOW they are operating in an armed society, they never know if their intended victim is armed. Its not important that everyone carry to put a crimp in their style.,

I remember when car jackings were all the rage. Louisiana was very hard hit. Finally, they said "If you want to carry a gun in your car to protect yourself, Okay". In a few short weeks, there had been a few successful jackings & a few Not so successful, where the car jacker was left kicking, screaming, bleeding & dying in the street with Gut Shot wound,,
Car jacking fell out of favor Very quickly,..,
Guns are a tremendous asset in stopping crime, just the fact that someone May be armed is a deterrent. Make guns illegal? Well,, you go hang out in Chicago a while & report back on how that works.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 06/29/12 at 18:13:12

Depends. If my trip involves going to the city, most of the time I'm packing. .22WMR, fits in my pants pocket and is carried on an empty cylinder. At home or in the pick up, either of 2 .380s (one hollow point, one mil-spec round nose FMJ). Or either of the .44s (one cap and ball, one Police Special aka long Colt).

If the pecans are in season, I carry, Lisa carries, Doug carries. And keep a scatter gun loaded with slugs (16g) or squirrel shot handy (12g or 20g).

If I'm going to my pond... .22LR with hollowpoints and a .410 pistol. We have snakes (cottonmouths, copperheads, timber rattlers). And poachers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 06/29/12 at 18:54:19

If theyre poachin snakes, Id leave 'em alone,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 06/29/12 at 19:07:12

I carry one of these...

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 06/29/12 at 19:27:02

That's diabolical clever!... Huh...

So funny I saved it to my 'puter...  Grin Grin Grin...

Thanks Verse... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 06/29/12 at 20:36:25

Thats a great tool,, or toy, or whatever, I LIKE it.,

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #29 - 06/29/12 at 20:44:58

It is a cinch that you can use it to wipe somebody out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Do you carry?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.