Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first saying hi, second asking about wieght. (Read 153 times)
Tim37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

first saying hi, second asking about wieght.
06/28/12 at 08:47:57

Hi new guy kinda obvious i guess.  any way i was raised on old jap bikes and brit bikes the last few years i moved to sport bikes.  currently i have a old gsxr 600 and a R1.  im about 250 and 6'2" the sport bikes carry me around no problem no big suprise there but i have been considering a cruiser i want something i can slowly build a bobber out of but also good on fuel to get me back and forth to work.  so my quesiton is.  how well does the savage respont to a tall fat kid riding it?  i like the little bikes i have rode one about 12 years and 50lbs ago but it was just around the block.  i really dont remember too much about the bike.  im not looking to go supper fast just get me around town.  

thanks
Tim

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: first saying hi, second asking about wieght.
Reply #1 - 06/28/12 at 08:53:24

I wouldn't worry about the weight too much, these bikes can handle it. i ride two up sometimes and that is closer to 350 pounds of rider with no problem. I would be more concerned with comfort, at 6'2" you may feel cramped but there are lots of options to assist with this problem and many here have come up with some great ideas and products to accommodate a taller rider. Just do a little search or check the tech section.

examples:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

and

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1115652141

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 06/28/12 at 08:59:36

Tim the LS650/Savage/S40 is a fantastic bike. Plenty of power for most of us but you may find it a little uncomfortable in it's stock configuration.

The reason I say that is simply legroom. The bike is fine for most people up to about 5'10". Taller than that your legs may get cramped after several miles. The main reason is the low seat hiegth. BUT.....there are a couple of mods that help a lot. One is to raise the front of the seat with spacers(about a 15 minute job and less than $5). The other is more involved and costly and that is to add longer forward controls. That's a Saturday afternoon and a few hundred$$.

As for power....I'm 5'10" and weigh 160# and my '96 takes me down the interstate at 75mph just fine with power left for passing. The only power mods I have are more open exhaust and carb rejetting.

So.....try one and see what ya think. With some saddle time and a few mods I think you'll love it.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 06/28/12 at 09:02:14

The others have addressed the forward controls. You may wish to explore that option. As far as weight goes, I am 300+ and my Savage moves me around with no issues or complaints. Light to light, my buddy's HD 1200 can't lose me. We never did more than that, but I do maintain speeds of 65-70mph just fine.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #4 - 06/28/12 at 09:18:44

Tim

Welcome. You and I are about the same size, and i have an 07 with Routy's FC's on it and the legroom is not an issue.

The bike is plenty "torquey" to really enjoy for a daily commuter. That is what I use mine for.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Tim37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/28/12 at 21:54:26

thanks guys but i got a lets just call it interesting phone call from a friend of mine earlier.  about a year and a half a go i traded him a triumph for some work.  well life got in his way and mine on that project so i wasnt in a hurry and he wasnt able.  well his landlord just told him that he wasnt gonna renew his lease at the end of july so he asked me if i wanted the bike back.  so well i guess i got the bike back. that puts finding a savage way back on my list of wants.  i still think they are cool bikes

thanks agian
Tim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/28/12 at 22:02:27

Ohhhh, IM sure you could con some dumb savage owner into a trade,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/28/12 at 22:17:47

hey... who you callin' dumb?   Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Tim37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/29/12 at 09:29:41

actualy the plan was to trade a old 2000 gsxr 600 for a savage but now i think that bike is gonna get sold to finance the triumph i am looking at a bolt on hardtail kit i think i can build a pretty cool bobber fairly cheap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/29/12 at 09:54:46

Well, have fun with that. Just because you dont have a Savage doesnt mean you wont be welcome here,
Id like to see your project as it progresses.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tim37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/29/12 at 11:59:37

i will try to get back and post pics as i can but who knows how long it will take me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/29/12 at 12:28:14

Okay, dude,, see ya when we see ya/Stay safe, have fun,

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 06/29/12 at 13:07:25

Tim I think there are a lot of guys, me not excluded, who would love to see a Triumph project under way. Hope you will stick around.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/29/12 at 13:24:35

Yea, no kidding,, besides that, every single TIME you have a problem with that TRumpet, we will all point out that you Shoulda Got the Savage!
You gotta stick around,,

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 06/29/12 at 17:58:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/28/12 at 22:02:27:
...some dumb savage owner...

Flattery will get you absolutely nowhere.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first saying hi, second asking about wieght.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.