Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NOS Tires- are they safe to use? (Read 209 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: NOS Tires- are they safe to use?
Reply #15 - 06/28/12 at 19:53:52

The 1949 truck with the pre-1974 tires was driven for a couple months on them back in 1999. The pre-1999 tires were on the1969  truck last year when I drove it from the Seattle area to Memphis.

From experience, the biggest problem I've had with NOS mc tires is distorted beads. The wire takes a set and they never quite seat right.

Used tires? If they haven't been sitting long and you can't hang your thumbnail in the cracks... your choice. If they are pliable and aren't cracked they are usually fine.

Bess, I wouldn't worry too much with your tires. My bike is currently sporting a 1999 vintage Cheng Shin rear and a 2003 vintage IRC front off a former forum member's bike. If the Cheng Shin hadn't sidewall cracked hard enough to stick a finger in, I'd probably keep it on there. But since I scored some Intruder spec Dunlop Qualifiers for $36 each on close out...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #16 - 06/29/12 at 06:30:09

Cavi Mike wrote on 06/28/12 at 12:25:24:
Badass94Cad wrote on 06/28/12 at 04:58:42:
Wow, I'm scared to know you are sharing roads close to me.

And it's good to know you buy new tires prematurely - it keeps the stock piles of cheap used rubber stacked up waiting for me to buy.

Blow outs don't just "happen." The factors involved don't even necessarily come from defects let alone age, they come from under-inflation. When you run a tire under-inflated at highway speeds, they generate enormous amounts of heat. Coupled with, say, a 40ton load, now the heat is too much for the glue holding the tire together. (yes, ALL tires are just glued together by the way, not just retreads). Once that happens, the tread rips off. Since the radial-belts are contained in the tread, all that's left are the bias belts so the tire balloons way out of proportion and explodes.

This is exactly what happened with the whole Firestone saga a few years back as well. Under-inflation.

If you refuse to use a tire that's a few years old, by all means go right ahead and replace them, but don't talk to me like I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about underinflation.  You're comparing apples and oranges.

Running tires down to the cords is IN NO WAY a good idea.  Perhaps that's why they have laws about tread depth.  Shocked

And don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about.  Roll Eyes

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 06/29/12 at 08:40:27

I've ridden on tires that were on the bike 15 years,I don't say its a good idea but I have.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 06/29/12 at 10:54:49

Badass94Cad wrote on 06/29/12 at 06:30:09:
I'm not talking about underinflation.  You're comparing apples and oranges.

Running tires down to the cords is IN NO WAY a good idea.  Perhaps that's why they have laws about tread depth.  Shocked

And don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about.  Roll Eyes

I didn't say I run them or even drive them, I said I BURN them.

Gimme your sidewall-plugged, your dry-rotted, your off-balanced and your "old" I'll fill them to 60psi and prove to you that tires just don't blow out. I can also tell you've never had a "blow-out" because when you run a tire down to its core, it just simply releases its air and goes flat. It's very uneventful. Trying to insult me with your sarcastic comment only proved your ignorance, not mine.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #19 - 06/29/12 at 11:01:20

Good deal man, but I still never said anything about blow outs.

I'm glad to see you burn them up on the track.  That's fun.  My impression was that you were running tires down to the cords on a daily vehicle, which just isn't safe in inclement weather.

Tires will most certainly hold way more PSI AND GVW than recommended on the sidewall.  Hell, I have a 4,500 pound Cadillac with a trunk full of batteries running on 155/80R13 tires at 55-60psi.  Grin  How's that for ignorant?  Wink

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 06/29/12 at 13:53:25

Tim37 wrote on 06/28/12 at 08:52:58:
i asked a good friend of mine about a "new" tire i had put up in my shed for a bike.  he paciently explained to me.  "if you have a blow out on a car your probably gonna be late for work,  if you have a blow out on a bike your probably gonna get to ride in a ambulance.  now is saving a 100 bucks worth it?"

I've never mounted "old tires", but I've had tires that were already 3 to 5 years old on certain bikes I rarely rode.   These tires worked fine and I didn't have a problem with them.  However, I have had three blowouts all due to road hazards; two on the back and one on the front.   The back blowouts were bad as the bike becomes VERY unstable and "squirrelly",  but I did manage to slow, recover control, and stop.   The front tire is another story, and I ended up dumping the bike after I had slowed to about 25mph.  Unfortunately, that time my wife was riding behind, but we both were OK, with only some minor bruises and scrapes.

The problem is the flat tire loses tracking ability and will try to roll off the rim due to side forces created by you attempting to steer.   In fact, to say you even have steering, is somewhat of an exaggeration.   Try to imagine hitting a foot deep slippery mud hole (mud, not muddy water), and you have some idea.   The key thing is, like so many other situations, CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM is the key!   DO NOT try the normal procedures you would try when attempting to stop.   This means no heavy braking (if any at all), keeping the bike in as straight a line as possible, and shifting your weight back-n-forth to try and stay upright.   If you're lucky, you will still be sitting on the seat when the bike finally stops.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:10:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NOS Tires- are they safe to use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.