Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Washing my jacket
06/27/12 at 06:52:40

I have a Firstgear Mesh Tex 3.0 jacket.

It needs washing, but the tag says hand wash only.  I guess that is what I will do, but my thoughts are this.  If this thing is supposed to protect me while I am sliding down the asphalt at 50mph, why can't it stand a round in the washing machine?

Anyone have any thoughts?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Washing my jacket
Reply #1 - 06/27/12 at 06:57:29

Could be shrinkage, color bleeding?  Is there armor in it?  Wouldn't want a piece of armor getting wedged on your machine's agitator.  Or maybe rip through the mesh.

On the other hand, I wash alot of stuff that labels say not to.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #2 - 06/27/12 at 07:06:59

Wash it in cold water, with Woolite, on the gentle cycle.  Air dry it.  Do not put it in the dryer.  All will be well.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 06/27/12 at 07:10:14

Yep, it's probably to do with the armor possibly getting wedged somewhere in the machine.  

Mine is similar, a Shift Aero.  I just spray it out with the hose, pads and all.  Cheesy  If it ever starts stinking I'll give it a good hand washing with detergent.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 06/27/12 at 07:36:47

I should have said the pads come out and I would not run them through the machine.  The inside is a softer material, but not unlike other things that get washed.  'Tard, I thought about the hose thing and Piglet, I often disregard the instructions on things like this.  Thanks for the input, you are all confirming what I suspected.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/27/12 at 07:53:09

On any of my mesh, I just use Simple Green, a garden hose and a brush to clean the armor and the jacket, though I remove any removable armor inserts and wipe them down separately.  I just let everything drip dry.  Speaking specifically of FirstGear, I have a mesh jacket (don't remember the specific model) and a couple of different sets of mesh overpants.  I've done all of them this way.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #6 - 06/27/12 at 10:10:54

I have a FirstGear Mesh Tex that is almost 3 years old.  To wash it, I take the armor out and run it in the machine on the "Extra Delicate" cycle in cold water using Simple Green for soap.  So far, it looks as good as it did when I got it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 06/27/12 at 14:34:31

I had a leather jacket dry cleaned once. I'll never do that again. They shrunk it down about 2 sizes.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 06/27/12 at 23:07:40

I never wash  my riding jacket or vest. Just would not be right.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 06/28/12 at 02:50:51

Many items have the recommended "hand wash only" not because of soaps or the spin cycle...
...but because the synthetic fabric with which they are made suffer heat.

If I wash something by hand, the temperature of the water will be anything from lukewarm to mildly hot - never more than 50°C.

So I can put the item in the washer and use the "wool" cycle, which will ensure 40°C max and a very gentle spin, no problems.

But to wash anything synthetic at 60°C... calls for disaster... Lips Sealed

PS Midnight Rider, if your jacket shrunk after "dry cleaning", it wasn't dry cleaned, it was shoved into a washing machine by mistake and washed in water.

Dry cleaninig means they use a solution of specific acids in replacement of water.

You can smell the difference, dry cleaning smells acidy, like battery fluid.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 06/28/12 at 03:46:58

Mike, I washed my Joe Rocket Phoenix V mesh with armor in place. I put it in the bath tub with Dawn dishwashing liquid, wiggled it around, rinsed it thoroughly outside with a water hose and hung it up to dry. Maybe right maybe wrong. Just how I do it.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 06/28/12 at 13:48:57

mpescatori wrote on 06/28/12 at 02:50:51:
Many items have the recommended "hand wash only" not because of soaps or the spin cycle...
...but because the synthetic fabric with which they are made suffer heat.

If I wash something by hand, the temperature of the water will be anything from lukewarm to mildly hot - never more than 50°C.

So I can put the item in the washer and use the "wool" cycle, which will ensure 40°C max and a very gentle spin, no problems.

But to wash anything synthetic at 60°C... calls for disaster... Lips Sealed

PS Midnight Rider, if your jacket shrunk after "dry cleaning", it wasn't dry cleaned, it was shoved into a washing machine by mistake and washed in water.

Dry cleaninig means they use a solution of specific acids in replacement of water.

You can smell the difference, dry cleaning smells acidy, like battery fluid.

My father owned a dry cleaning business when I was little.  I still love that smell!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 06/28/12 at 20:15:21

bh, you're still little!  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 06/29/12 at 03:35:05

Boofer wrote on 06/28/12 at 20:15:21:
bh, you're still little!  Grin

BWAHHH!

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:31:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Washing my jacket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.