Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie here/ 87 bobber build (Read 569 times)
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Re: Newbie here/ 87 bobber build
Reply #15 - 06/27/12 at 08:56:28

Lol yeah it gets hot down here. Im in edinburg, Tx. I live about 4hrs south west of big bend. All this last couple of weeks my cars outside temp gauge has been reading between 100-117. It is crazy... And we are only gona get hotter. The humidity it what makes it suck even more.

IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #16 - 06/29/12 at 11:35:01

Here is some recent updates. Got my fender back, from my friend, and installed it. Almost done. Just waiting on carb kit from lancer and waiting to make a longer clutch cable.

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/29/12 at 11:40:54

Looking good, I dig the black paint on the engine covers, starter, etc

Congrats

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #18 - 06/29/12 at 11:42:40

Hotrodchriz wrote on 06/27/12 at 08:56:28:
Lol yeah it gets hot down here. Im in edinburg, Tx. I live about 4hrs south west of big bend. All this last couple of weeks my cars outside temp gauge has been reading between 100-117. It is crazy... And we are only gona get hotter. The humidity it what makes it suck even more.

I'm in AZ right now but my family lives Rio Grande Valley. I go to Harlingen and Primera for XMAS maybe I can come by and check out the bike in person one day. The bike looks really nice I can't wait to get mine finished.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #19 - 06/29/12 at 12:02:00

that bike looks.............................................................AWESOME!!!!!!!
!!!!

IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #20 - 06/29/12 at 13:28:57

elitemunkeycrew wrote on 06/29/12 at 11:42:40:

I'm in AZ right now but my family lives Rio Grande Valley. I go to Harlingen and Primera for XMAS maybe I can come by and check out the bike in person one day. The bike looks really nice I can't wait to get mine finished.

Thanks every one. I cant wait to cruise it, yeah man, definetly Im down.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #21 - 06/29/12 at 13:37:55

I'm not much of one for bobber builds, but I'm really diggin yours.  That looks great.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #22 - 06/29/12 at 13:40:29

When I got the bike it had loss power, and wouldnt go over 30mph and it had a slight tick to it. I opened it up to check the infamous timing chain tensioner. I noticed that the cover had been opened before so I was kind of worried. I opened it up and saw that the chain and tension were good and looked like they had been replaced before. But as I looked on the inside of the side cover I noticed it had some gouges in it. And as I looked behind the chain it look the same as well.. I cranked it over in quick cranks,(not turning it on) and the chain doesnt seem to have any play in it.. I guess I am gona check valve adjustment to see if anything is going on up there... Embarrassed

Do you all see anything wrong, anything im missing?...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/29/12 at 14:58:18

The plunger is pretty well extended for a new chain.
maybe they kept the old guides, if you replace the rear one, the plunger will go in at least 3mm.  The one I replaced had moderate wear, if that one is worse, then you'll get more.

check the cam timing if you got no power, a newb can easily mis-time it.

Set it on exactly TDC on the case marks and look where the cam timing marks are.  If they line up with the head exactly, it's a new chain.  slightly up, used chain.  anywhere else and it's mis-timed.

WWW   IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #24 - 06/29/12 at 15:09:38

verslagen1 wrote on 06/29/12 at 14:58:18:
maybe they kept the old guides, if you replace the rear one, the plunger will go in at least 3mm.  The one I replaced had moderate wear, if that one is worse, then you'll get more.

Set it on exactly TDC on the case marks and look where the cam timing marks are.  If they line up with the head exactly, it's a new chain.  slightly up, used chain.  anywhere else and it's mis-timed.

Any links on how to check this

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 06/29/12 at 15:18:34

Hotrodchriz wrote on 06/29/12 at 15:09:38:
verslagen1 wrote on 06/29/12 at 14:58:18:

Any links on how to check this

That would be in the Tech section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/29/12 at 15:51:45

YOuve checked the vales, right? If someone did them at TDC exhaust, it wont run right at all..IF at all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #27 - 06/29/12 at 15:52:35

Well.... I measured the plunger and its at exactly .75... Time to order new chain, guides, and oil plug while im at it...  Embarrassed

It does have a little over 17k miles on it

IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #28 - 06/29/12 at 15:58:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/29/12 at 15:51:45:
YOuve checked the vales, right? If someone did them at TDC exhaust, it wont run right at all..IF at all..

No not yet. Need to check that.  I am leanibg twords timing chain because it would turn on, & idle good,  but if you would rev WOT it wouldnt rev much and it had a funky rattle inside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 06/29/12 at 16:20:55

We carried water in spray bottles & took turns spritsing each other,,woulda melted right into the canyon floor w/o that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:09:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie here/ 87 bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.