In praise of the Lemon (Read 130 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
In praise of the Lemon
06/26/12 at 13:01:39

To the north of Tucson are the Santa Catalina mountains.  The highest peak in this range is Mt. Lemmon at 9167 ft.  Most of the Tucson old timers just call it "The Lemon'".

From the National Forest Service sign at the base of the mountain, to the parking lot of the general store in Winterhaven at the top is 25.9 miles.  In the course of that 25.9 miles of curvy, twisty, up and down, bending road, it rises a little over 6000 feet.

The road will test the skills of any rider, especially if they happen to be riding above the posted speed.  Along the way, there are numerous panoramas that extend out sixty or more miles.  The vistas are spectacular.  I really do not like to ride the road with friends from out of town, because they always want to stop at all of the lookout points and take pictures.  Of course, I guess that it is better to stop and take pictures, than to ride off the side of the mountain because you were busy looking at the scenery.

Unlike the Dragon, which only happens once a year, the Lemon is a weekly ride for me (except for a couple of months in the winter when there is snow on the road.)  It is only 30 minutes from my front door to the Forest Service sign.  It is the only ride that I am usually sure that Serowbot will want to go on.  It is that good. I just wish that the Bot would make a video of the entire route.  It would be long, but I think that everyone would enjoy it.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: In praise of the Lemon
Reply #1 - 06/26/12 at 13:12:41

A little too far for a drive for me to see when I come visit my mother, but you sure do make it sound beautiful and fun.  Bot should definitely make a video... yea, yea... c'mon Bot, make the video already!  Smiley 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/26/12 at 15:12:06

I can take the ride,... but if I shoot video, I'll have to wash my bike...
It's too HOT!... Grin...
Maybe in the fall... Huh...

Where's your mum, Piglet?... How long will you be staying?...
Hope she's doing well...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/26/12 at 16:59:37

A couple of years ago I was riding thru the area and hunkered down in a Tucson motel for several days.   I wish I had known about The Lemmon.   I did take in a Davis Mothan tour, Titan II ICBM tour, and rode up to Kitt Peak Observatory one day.   I also cruised over to Tombstone and Bisbee, even tho I had been there before.   Fun stuff, great history, but much cooler than now.    Tongue

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/26/12 at 17:18:54

Here's about 5 miles of it...  Huh...

...and another... Undecided...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/26/12 at 19:17:56

Serowbot wrote on 06/26/12 at 15:12:06:
I can take the ride,... but if I shoot video, I'll have to wash my bike...
It's too HOT!... Grin...
Maybe in the fall... Huh...

Where's your mum, Piglet?... How long will you be staying?...
Hope she's doing well...  

She is in Sun City, and is doing better after the surgery.  I'm probably going to come for a long weekend, maybe 4-5 days around the end of July.  Will get a more accurate date when they schedule her chemo treatments.  I was originally planning a fall visit so it wouldn't be so dang hot but I'll brave the heat for her.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 06/26/12 at 19:57:23

If you had time, Bot and I could drive up to the valley, and we could meet and have lunch.  Totally understand if your time is spoken for. I know that you are there to be with your mother.  In any case, our thoughts, and my prayers are with you and your family.

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #7 - 06/26/12 at 20:51:27

I'm in Sierra Vista If your ever out this way lets ride.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 06/27/12 at 06:53:49

gerald.hughes wrote on 06/26/12 at 19:57:23:
If you had time, Bot and I could drive up to the valley, and we could meet and have lunch.  Totally understand if your time is spoken for. I know that you are there to be with your mother.  In any case, our thoughts, and my prayers are with you and your family.

Thanks Gerry, that would actually be very cool, if we can work it out.  I'd love to meet you guys.  Will keep in touch as soon as I make some definite arrangements to come.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #9 - 06/27/12 at 07:04:04

elitemunkeycrew wrote on 06/26/12 at 20:51:27:
I'm in Sierra Vista If your ever out this way lets ride.

Would love to.  As soon as it gets cooler, we can ride over and have lunch at the Taco Bell.  Alternately, we can meet you in Sonoita, about halfway for each, and we can ride to Patagonia, and have lunch at the Velvet Elvis.

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #10 - 06/27/12 at 08:21:16

I like the Steak Restaraunt at the gas station there in Sonoita. I haven't heard of Velvet Elvis what kind of food?

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 06/27/12 at 08:38:05

Pizza, sandwiches, etc.  Also, the First Base in the hotel in Patagonia makes the best cheeseburger in Arizona.

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #12 - 06/27/12 at 09:41:00

gerald.hughes wrote on 06/27/12 at 08:38:05:
Pizza, sandwiches, etc.  Also, the First Base in the hotel in Patagonia makes the best cheeseburger in Arizona.

Sounds good Tongue I'm getting hungry thinking about it. How many people on this forum that are from AZ have you found? I looking for someone close to Sierra Vista that could guide me through my bike build. I want to do all the work myself but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/27/12 at 09:56:43

As far as I know,.. you're alone, south of Tucson...
Too far of a commute for helping with an ongoing build,.. but we're happy to give advice from here in the R'side, or through PM's...
If you get truly stuck on some specific aspect,.. I might be able to make my way down to lend a hand.  But, I suspect you'll do fine...
Just start a thread in the R'side and show us progress... helps others here, too...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:31:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › In praise of the Lemon

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.