Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike test, please help!!! (Read 190 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
bike test, please help!!!
06/25/12 at 18:44:54

I have my safety test coming up and have already failed about a week ago because they wanted me to get up to 25/30 kmh then emergency stop then tight right and do it again ( MAYBE 30/35 feet inbetween ) any thoughts of how to get up to speed in this time with enought room to stop?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: bike test, please help!!!
Reply #1 - 06/25/12 at 19:15:58

I haven't had a test in 30 years, and even then, it was only because I changed states (er, not me personally, my state of residence).   Sounds like they're getting a lot harder, which is probably a good thing.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 06/25/12 at 19:23:55

Accelerate alittle harder and don't be afraid of that front brake.  It provides the majority of your stopping power.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 06/25/12 at 19:35:20

rfw2003 wrote on 06/25/12 at 19:23:55:
Accelerate alittle harder and don't be afraid of that front brake.  It provides the majority of your stopping power.

RF has the key!  I did the MSF Basic Rider Course a year ago( to make a long story even longer  Wink ) after riding off and on since 1972. I'd never used the front brake much(some scoots I've owned didn't even have a front brake!) and that was the biggest thing I learned!  

Anyway,get on the throttle quick and get your speed,then get down on the brakes. I ended up braking so hard the rear tire was almost lifting off the ground but still had complete control. Let the bike tell you how much brake you need and when to ease off before locking up. It really is easy after you do it a few times.

Good Luck Bro!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/25/12 at 19:47:13

25/30 kmh... that's only 15 mph  that'd be winding it out in 1st shift up into 2nd and give it a good twist.

don't bother with the rear brake, let engine braking do it.
get a handful of front brake and don't launch yourself   Roll Eyes
grab the clutch before she stalls and drop her into 1st and go.

practice, practice, practice.

WWW   IP Logged
1999savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/25/12 at 19:54:56

renegade1 wrote on 06/25/12 at 18:44:54:
I have my safety test coming up and have already failed about a week ago because they wanted me to get up to 25/30 kmh then emergency stop then tight right and do it again ( MAYBE 30/35 feet inbetween ) any thoughts of how to get up to speed in this time with enought room to stop?

Hey i did that test a while ago my budddy is doing it next week.
Dont know where your located but in Ontario you start off with the serpentine test in and out of the cones. then a u turn then increase speed to 30 km and emergency stop.  keep practicing remember you need to switch to second gear they look for that then use both breaks Front 70% rear 30% they want to see the bike tilt forward and please dont stall the bike or lock up the breaks that is an automatic fail. keep practicing and have fun and most of all be safe.  Smiley

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 21:30:38

Thanks guys a main problem though is that it does not accelerate that fast hahahha hits a dead spot then goes hard at 20 my main problem is that i can't get to that speed in the small distance given. You guys know of anything that can increase throttle response? And 360 good thing you didn't change your "state" and if so there's medication for that haha

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 21:49:47

add some seafoam to the tank
1 ounce per gal  you got a sticky slide

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 21:50:23

Sounds like ya need to do a little maintenance on your bike then, or is this a provided bike that you are being tested on?

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 22:00:45

no man its my bike i just had it in the shop to get the head heli-coiled and mech. said it all looked good did a adjustment on the clutch and passed it. You know if there is anything i can do to pick up the response? i dont know if it could have to do with the carb or air supply?

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #10 - 06/26/12 at 00:00:00

BUT, not saying your wrong sorry if that was disrespectful. vers. said sea foam and do i just run a whole tank through??? What do you think about this information i found.                                                     Getting back to your Savage 650,  here's how we can specifically cure its problem. We need to richen those two areas of the curburetion curve that are factory set on the ridiculous side of leanness. Remove the diaphragm slide from the carburetor and look down inside its bore. Two small screws hold a plate over the slide needle.
Removing the plate, you'll see a small, white plastic spacer with a hole through it sitting on top of the needle. Throw that spacer away and reinstall the plate. A spring under the needle clip will now push the needle up to the plate occupying the space vacated by the white spacer. The distance that the needle has been 'lifted' is the thickness of the discarded spacer - and that's ideal. With the needle raised, more fuel will flow by it, meeting the actual needs of midrange running.
We can also fatten up the low end of your bike's carburetor by turning out the low-speed mixture screw. To gain access to this screw, you'll need to drill out the brass plug pressed in over it and yank it out with a sheet-metal screw attached to a slide hammer. You'll find that plug up high on the right side of the carb about where the mouth enters the carburetor. Usually Suzuki applies a splash of white paint over the brass plug so that it's immediately noticeable. With the engine warmed up and idling, turn the mixture screw out incrementally until you achieve the highest idle. There will be no doubt in your mind that you're making progress because the idle will come up and sound stronger. At this point, turn the idle adjuster knob out and bring the idle back down to a leisurely gait.
Just these two, relatively simple adjustments will not only eliminate the backfire, they will make an amazing improvement in throttle response and driveability.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/26/12 at 00:02:41

It's most likely a fuel supply issue. If your muffler or pipe has turned gold or purple, you need to increase your fuel flow. And it takes a little time to get the carb dialed in. Try running some Seafoam through it, look up the white spacer mod on the tech board, and be ready to change your jets (last resort).

I upsized both jets in mine 2 steps, smokes like an old VW Rabbit, pulls like a locomotive.

And the biggest thing? Don't sweat the test, I bombed mine 3 times taking it on an old Harley, got smart and took it on an old CB350F. Better handling, brakes and acceleration. So... CHEAT, borrow a buddies 500 Ninja.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #12 - 06/26/12 at 01:31:20

yeah i have a couple buddys with rockets but never took the time to even mess around on em' so maybe that'll help good call problem is. im gunna try the "seafoam" not to sure procedure on how to do it, basically injector cleaner for FI vehicles right?

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #13 - 06/27/12 at 00:13:07

ya'll think rebuilding the carb would do a promising advance? and with sea foam how do you figure i should go about this, just put it in the tank, and should i run the tank dry before refill?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 06/27/12 at 08:29:10

Seafoam not rocket science, just run the specified amount (or more) thru it and hope for the best.Did you try pulling the choke 1 notch,.....give yo  somewhat of an idea if its running lean for sure.
Whatever, don't go modding the carb for a problem that wasn't always there. If there is a prob w/ the carb that wasn't there before,, it needs cleaning, not modifying !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:25:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike test, please help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.