Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Petcock issues or am I just looking for trouble? (Read 188 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Petcock issues or am I just looking for trouble?
06/25/12 at 07:42:14

I am wondering if I have petcock issues. Can they be intermittent? Intermittently my idle is low and it stumbles slightly. Intermittently I smell gas. Today I was adding washers to my footpegs. The bike hadn't been run since Saturday. The right side smelled of gasoline pretty bad. Does this sound like a petcock or a leak or is it normal? Since it is intermittent, I didn't think the test in the technical section would be valid.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Petcock issues or am I just looking for troubl
Reply #1 - 06/25/12 at 07:49:24

Probably not related,... but, the test is valid, and easy... No harm in checking.   Do the test
Then,.. you'll know... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/25/12 at 09:27:07

& make sure the oil is still oil.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 06/25/12 at 09:43:49

Hi guys! If you had a conversation about the petcockl , here's a question.
I am sometimes at a speed of 70-80 mph on the move stalls the engine. in other modes, this is not happening. When you try to start it I through the transparent fuel filter see that fuel was flowing to the carburetor. so until there was no fuel. This happens periodically. What could be wrong?
p.s. in the petcock I installed a new membrane from the repair kit. the carburetor is clean. the needle valve is in good condition. vacuum line it seems normal.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/25/12 at 09:54:47

Wambr,... This part in not understood...
wambr wrote on 06/25/12 at 09:43:49:
When you try to start it I through the transparent fuel filter see that fuel was flowing to the carburetor. so until there was no fuel.

I think you are saying petcock is good...  but, the symptom does sound like petcock...
Here is the test...
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/25/12 at 10:00:37

Vacuum drops as throttle approaches Wide Open, A stiff diaphragm may not allow full fuel delivery when it is most needed.
If youll run it till it starts to falter & kill it while youre rolling, you can pull over & open the carb bowl drain , catch it, & see whats in the bowl,
Close it off,, put it on prime, give it some time to fill up, put it back on "On", then drain & catch it again & see if theres a difference..

& certainly, do what the Rowboat says,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 10:01:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/12 at 09:27:07:
& make sure the oil is still oil.,

Aside from tasting it or tossing a match, is there an easy way? I made the comment the other day that it appeared that my oil level increased. I just figured it was from a long ride and it was showing in the window a bit more. Maybe not...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 10:05:36

The cost of oil versus the cost of an engine? Id drain it,,& then Id take a rag & dip in it & try to light it, If the rag lites right up.,.theres gas in it,
& DO be careful..

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 10:20:05

I will get some oil and see what I can see. Is it safe to assume that if there is fuel going into the crankcase that there will be fuel in the airbox?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 10:22:32

I have does not work when. Yes, I suppose so: fuel thingy does not supply enough fuel into the carburetor at full throttle. diaphragm and o-rings in the valve is new. at that time I still can do?
p.s. even noticed that this happens when the fuel in the tank about half or less.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 10:28:29

Greg wrote on 06/25/12 at 10:20:05:
I will get some oil and see what I can see. Is it safe to assume that if there is fuel going into the crankcase that there will be fuel in the airbox?

Its a distinct possibility. NOt necessarily so, depends on how the bike gets parked,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 10:56:13

wambr wrote on 06/25/12 at 10:22:32:
I have does not work when. Yes, I suppose so: fuel thingy does not supply enough fuel into the carburetor at full throttle. diaphragm and o-rings in the valve is new. at that time I still can do?
p.s. even noticed that this happens when the fuel in the tank about half or less.

Making sure there are no vacuum leaks in the vacuum tubing would be easy,, slap a new piece of vacuum tubing on it.
Do what Serowbot says, he has a complete test for the petcock,

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 06/25/12 at 11:13:19

THX guys! i do it some later. now i want to ride. summer is short and  need to hurry Smiley

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 06/25/12 at 11:17:12

You can do all the tests,  and every now and then keep doing them.  Or just change it out to a Raptor petcock.  It's simple to do flows alittle better and you will never have the vacuum issues with it. Plus you will have a true off/on petcock.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 06/25/12 at 11:18:28

You can do all the tests,  and every now and then keep doing them.  Or just change it out to a Raptor petcock.  It's simple to do flows alittle better and you will never have the vacuum issues with it. Plus you will have a true off/on petcock.

Another benefit you can actually remove the tank without the petcock getting in the way.  Cool

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:28:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock issues or am I just looking for trouble?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.