Handi-Capped Parking (Read 131 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Handi-Capped Parking
06/24/12 at 21:30:11

We've all seen bikes parked in the marked areas next to the handi-capped spaces, but did you know it's illegal to park there? I did, looked it up a couple of years ago. I normally park in the lined off areas at the end of the rows that aren't HCP spaces, but last week I wasn't paying close enough attention when I went to one of the newest Wal-Mart stores in our area. I parked over near the garden center entrance without thinking, because at all the other W-Ms around here the HCP spaces are right in front of the store. When I came out I found this warning on my w/s for parking in the "access aisle" for the HCP spaces. I thought "what the #*$@" until I looked up & saw THIS store has HCP in front of the garden center too. Well, I was glad it was just a warning because like I said, I normally don't park anywhere near those HCP areas. I thought I might pass this info on in case some of you didn't know. I did it for years & never got a ticket or warning before, but I guess I was just lucky. Cool

Anyway, if you are in the habit of parking in those areas, be aware it is illegal & the ticket isn't cheap. I see bikes parked in those araes everytime I go to the store so I'm thinking it isn't a well known law. Undecided

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Handi-Capped Parking
Reply #1 - 06/24/12 at 21:41:38

I didn't know that people didn't know that was illegal.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 21:50:45

Judging from the number of bikes I see parked there at every big box store I go to, I bet a lot think if they aren't in an actual parking space they're OK. I'd like to think they wouldn't park there if they knew they could get a ticket for it, but I could be wrong. Most people I know don't deliberately park illegaly. Cool

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 22:29:18

Nice that you only got a warning... Very civil...
I often park in the hashmarked slots at the end of diagonal parking rows,.. to save full parking spaces for cars...
Just a few times, I've been told not to... but most places encourage it... They don't want you want  wasting a full space either..,  
Just depends on the a-hole in charge... Grin...
We bikers are "special needs"... in that we don't need much, as far as parking is concerned...  
Don't you love places that have motorcycle parking?... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/25/12 at 05:37:40

The other day I saw and up close to store parking that said 65 and older,First time i ever saw one like that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/25/12 at 07:00:51

Serowbot wrote on 06/24/12 at 22:29:18:
Nice that you only got a warning... Very civil...
I often park in the hashmarked slots at the end of diagonal parking rows,.. to save full parking spaces for cars...
Just a few times, I've been told not to... but most places encourage it... They don't want you want  wasting a full space either..,  
Just depends on the a-hole in charge... Grin...
We bikers are "special needs"... in that we don't need much, as far as parking is concerned...  
Don't you love places that have motorcycle parking?... Wink...

I think I got the warning because it was an area not normally used for HCP, & it was obvious I made some effort. I was also pulling my trailer at the time, & that always draws attention to my bike. There were 2 bikes parked in the spots right in front of the store when I left, but I didn't look to see if they got tickets. I think if I had parked in a HCP spot I definitely would have gottten a ticket, as I should. Cool

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 16:12:30

I got a ticket for this in San Jose about 20 years ago and actually had to go to court.   I explained to the judge that I didn't know, and he let me off with a warning.   If the stores were smart they would put bike parking places in the lot to encourage riding to the store.   Saves space, gas, environment, etc.

I also believe there should be special parking spaces provided for the blind.

« Last Edit: 06/26/12 at 07:02:23 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 16:15:53

360k+ wrote on 06/25/12 at 16:12:30:
I also believe there should be special parking spaces provided for the blind.

Are you suggesting they drive?   Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 16:32:51

... and zombies... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 17:02:48

At my closest Wal-Mart they just hate motorcycles.  They have the cops write tickets on any bike that isn't in a marked parking spot period.  So no parking in any of the slashed yellow areas at all, even if it's not by the handicapped spots.  It's very rare to see any bikes there at all anymore since the new manager came in now. Most of us go to one of the other stores instead.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 20:41:03

Usually the hash marked areas are for the turning radius of School buses or fire trucks...I know when I'm driving the school bus..I'm really tempted to kiss anything parked in those areas..stopping and backing up two  or three times to get around the corner is so Dangerous ..and occassionally a mall/box store parking lot is the only place around where you can park a bus. Cheesy

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 20:42:49

360K  there are- made of pine about 6 feet long, three feet wide and can be carried by 6.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #12 - 06/27/12 at 13:19:45

I've seen a few handicap parking plates on bikes, but I can't see why bothering....just about everyone around here lines their bikes up on the end of the bicycle rack.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:38:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Handi-Capped Parking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.