Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brake fluid replacement issues! (Read 103 times)
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
brake fluid replacement issues!
06/24/12 at 18:54:27

I have recently been trying to clean up my bike, in this case the brake lever and fluid reservoir. I took it apart and drained the fluid so it could be polished. Now I am having problems getting fluid back into the line. I read a post or 3 about pumping and pumping, holding the brake lever then bleeding from the caliper, and repeating with no success.

What could I be doing wrong?  Undecided

Or does it just take a long time?

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: brake fluid replacement issues!
Reply #1 - 06/24/12 at 19:02:54

Have you tried this? I've posted this before so this time I'll just copy it here. Cool

BLEEDING BRAKES.

I've been working on bikes since before they had disc brakes. I usually drain & refill mine at least once a year so I've had lots of practice.

I get a length of 3/16" clear tubing long enough to reach from the bleeder screw to the master cylinder. I fill the m/c, put the hose on the bleeder screw & open it about 1/2 turn & hold the free end of the tubing in the fluid in the m/c reservoir. Keeping the free end down in the fluid, I slowly pump the brake lever until I have a solid stream of fluid in the hose. I then close the bleeder screw & remove the hose from the bleeder. If you clamp the hose just above the bleeder before you take it off, you won't even make a mess. This has always worked for me & gives the firmest lever of all the methods I've used for years. It works because when you release the lever, it will draw fluid into the hose & not air, & when you squeeze the lever the air will bubble out. Just keep the free end IN THE FLUID so you don't draw air in.

Between my 2 bikes & my friends, I do this several times a year. It even works for rear disc brakes too, as I found out when I did my V-Star 950 the first time.

I first came up with this idea in 1980 when I put a disc brake front end from a '72 Norton Commando on my '70. After spendng a frustrating day going through the m/c & caliper, cleaning & rebuilding both, I still couldn't get it to work. I tried this & was done in 15 minutes. You don't forget what works when you've been as frustrated as I was that day.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 19:08:07

I will have to try this tomorrow, thanks for the tip!  Grin Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 19:26:59

Its hard to get the fluid to go into the pump part of the mastercylinder on a completely drained one, do as the last guy said or put some vacuum on that tube & pull the fluid into the guts of the MC,
I had to slightll pressurize the MC reservoir to get minbe to go, Ill never drain one completely again,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 22:33:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/12 at 19:26:59:
Its hard to get the fluid to go into the pump part of the mastercylinder on a completely drained one, do as the last guy said or put some vacuum on that tube & pull the fluid into the guts of the MC,
I had to slightll pressurize the MC reservoir to get minbe to go, Ill never drain one completely again,  

I agree I'll never do this again, but my handle bar bits were super coroded and it needed to be done. Sad but at least it looks nice.

This vaccum, I have heard you reference it in a few posts in the past. Where/what am I looking to purchase?
My hoover doesn't have a atachment for bleed nipples. Tongue

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 06/24/12 at 22:54:50

most auto parts stores as well as harbor freight and such have one man vacuum brake bleeders that you can buy.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 23:30:22

MMMMM.... TOOOOOLs..... Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 00:46:41

I expect a big syringe would be enough to get it started,,I hate to see anyone spend $$$ on a tool they rarely use..
Engines running create vacuum,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 04:27:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/12 at 00:46:41:
I expect a big syringe would be enough to get it started,,I hate to see anyone spend $$$ on a tool they rarely use..
Engines running create vacuum,

haha buzz kill... but thanks for the tip

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 04:41:50

If you have a vacuum source you can poke 2 holes in a mason jar lid & solder 2 pieces of tubing in. One goes to hose from caliper, other to vac source. Keeps you from sucking fluid into the vac source. & lets you see. A piece of clear tubing hanging off the brass tube coming into the jar lets you see bubbles in the fluid.

A compressor from an old refrigerator/ window unit,,can be used to pull an AC system down. Theyll sure pull fluid thru a master cylinder.

A small compressor can sometimes be plumbed out to pull a vacuum.
I cant say if thats bad for them over time, but I doubt it would hurt anything in the 10 minutes youd need it.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 06:11:49

I just went through this process and was having the same trouble you are. Here is my thread with tons of useful suggestions. I ended up using a vacuum bleeder from harbor freight cost about $25 but made the job go by in about 30 minutes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338766275

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 07:07:33

With about 4' of clear hose, you could just suck on the end until you can tell from a drop in the fluid level it has started taking fluid. I've never had to, but it would probably work. Over the years i've had several vacuum pumps with the accessories to bleed brakes, but they never worked well. I had much better luck with pressure bleeders, but you have to have the correct adapter for each m/c to use them. Cool

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #12 - 06/25/12 at 10:38:09

I'm having troubles with the harbor freight vacuum pump. I cant get all the bubbles out, and now my brakes are dragging, oye vey.  UndecidedEmbarrassed

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/25/12 at 10:52:03

If you now see fluid movement just use the hose like I outlined & pump the lever. You will be able to see the bubbles leave the line until it's solid fluid.

Is this just so simple nobody wants to believe it?  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/25/12 at 11:00:11

heroicseven wrote on 06/25/12 at 10:38:09:
I'm having troubles with the harbor freight vacuum pump. I cant get all the bubbles out, and now my brakes are dragging, oye vey.  UndecidedEmbarrassed

You are keeping the MC full, right?

IF its sucking real hard & fast, it can introduce bubbles as the fluid flies thru the pump area, or so I hear. Once youve established flow thru the system, you can pull the vac pump off & just let gravity handle it, OR, you could try what the guy suggests,, put the tube end in fluid so you can suck air in & pump the lever,,,, He has some experience & says its an easy answer.. give it a shot..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:35:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake fluid replacement issues!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.