Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachometer (Read 442 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachomete
Reply #15 - 06/25/12 at 17:10:53

87 savage wrote on 06/25/12 at 17:03:51:
rfw2003,  I just googled the Trail Tech Vapor comp. Holy crap, that rig will do it all and then some. odo, tach, temp, time, speedo, engine temp, shift lights, and on and on. Incredible. May have to rethink going analog.

That's the reason I went with it.  Plus it's not very big at all, even with the indicator dashboard accessory.

With the computer mounted in the dashboard accessory at the widest point it's 5 1/2" wide 2 1/2" tall and 1" thick.  So it's nice and compact as well.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #16 - 06/25/12 at 17:34:44

Quote:
That's the reason I went with it.  Plus it's not very big at all, even with the indicator dashboard accessory.

With the computer mounted in the dashboard accessory at the widest point it's 5 1/2" wide 2 1/2" tall and 1" thick.  So it's nice and compact as well.

Do you have it mounted yet? I'd love to see a picture of that!

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 06/25/12 at 17:49:23

while I don't have mine mounted yet since I'm doing alot of other things to the bike atm as well.  here is a post where someone else has one mounted on theirs with the indicator dashboard as well.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338268746#9

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #18 - 06/25/12 at 18:15:08

87 savage wrote on 06/25/12 at 16:27:10:
360k+ That sure is alot to ponder! So, all that being said, I'm not trying to play devils advocate, just trying to figure it out. How is it that the tach that EJID posted a link and pic for will work with the savage single cylinder. The ad for it says: "THIS TACHOMETER IS DESIGNED FOR DUAL FIRE IGNITIONS ONLY" and: "THIS MINI TACH WILL WORK ON ANY V-TWIN WITH A DUAL FIRE IGNITION!!" and: ITEM FITS SUZUKI MARAUDER, INTRUDER AND BOULEVARD MODELS
So does "Dual Fire" mean that it fires every stroke? Or does "Dual Fire" just mean it fires both cylinders. And how will it work with a Vtwin and a single at the same time? All so darn confusing!!

If the tach that EJID refers to works on a Savage, it is by virtue of the fact that on the dual fire Vtwins each cylinder fires every OTHER time (i.e., camshaft driven trigger).   This would work on the Savage because it fires EVERY time, but is one cylinder.   In other words, a dual fire coil still fires once per rev (like a Savage) because it fires both cylinders, but every other time.   So the Savage "looks" like a VTwin dual fire system.   This starts to get technical because on a VTwin the firing is NOT 360 deg symmetrical.   For instance, on a 45 deg VTwin if you had a degree wheel attached to the crank what you would see is...

1st plug fires at 0 deg
2nd plug fires at 315 deg (360 - 45, note this is the 2nd firing within a single 360 deg rotation)
1st plug fires again at 720 deg (360 x 2, but 405 deg lag behind previous cylinder)
2nd plug fires again at 675 deg (315 + 360)

For this reason a dual fire VTwin will actually fire TWICE within one 360 deg rotation and none in the next 360 rotation, even tho there are two cylinders.  Now that it's all cleared up   Cool.   In the description for this tach it says it works on Boulevards, but I think they mean VTwin boulevards.  It is just by luck (or cheaper design) that the Savage fires each rev, which makes it work.   On the other hand, they may be smart enough to realize what I've just stated and have already taken the Savage into account (firing every rev).   Keep in mind, even if a tach is "made" for one cylinder, the mfr must state whether it is designed for 1 fire or 2 fire per revolution.   Otherwise, you get half or double the reading expected.

Hey, I'm an engineer - don't dare ask me the the time of day - LOL.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #19 - 06/26/12 at 16:15:41

360k+ wrote on 06/25/12 at 18:15:08:
1st plug fires at 0 deg
2nd plug fires at 315 deg (360 - 45, note this is the 2nd firing within a single 360 deg rotation)
1st plug fires again at 720 deg (360 x 2, but 405 deg lag behind previous cylinder)
2nd plug fires again at 675 deg (315 + 360)

For this reason a dual fire VTwin will actually fire TWICE within one 360 deg rotation and none in the next 360 rotation, even tho there are two cylinders.  Now that it's all cleared up   Cool.   In the description for this tach it says it works on Boulevards, but I think they mean VTwin boulevards.  It is just by luck (or cheaper design) that the Savage fires each rev, which makes it work.   On the other hand, they may be smart enough to realize what I've just stated and have already taken the Savage into account (firing every rev).   Keep in mind, even if a tach is "made" for one cylinder, the mfr must state whether it is designed for 1 fire or 2 fire per revolution.   Otherwise, you get half or double the reading expected.

Hey, I'm an engineer - don't dare ask me the the time of day - LOL.

Ok, that clears it up nicely! One more question though: (I feel like Columbo! depending on how old you are that might not make any sense to you) If the first plug fires at 0 deg and then again on the next compression stroke at 720 deg, shouldn't the second plug of a 45 deg Vtwin fire at 315 deg and again on the next compression stroke at 1035 deg not 675 deg (315 + 720 + 1035)?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 06/26/12 at 17:39:16

By George 87, I believe you're right, and very astute of you to catch that.   Alas, too many numbers, too little time.

I was trying to think of a way to illustrate the VTwin vs Savage:

Savage...

pow...pow...pow...pow...

VTwin...

pow..pow.....pow..pow.....pow..pow....

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/26/12 at 22:17:40

'87 Savage, according to Old Feller, one of the moderators, the bikes have a dual fire ignition system but I would double check for one as early as yours. This means the one shown in the photo would work. If you really want to spend money there is a flash Baron Bullet one that will work and buried in the thousands of posts is a post on tachs known to work on the Savage LS 650 Boulevard S40

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/26/12 at 22:21:20

I've got the same tach as EJID has. The LS650 "IS" a dual fire ignition.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 06/27/12 at 08:06:37

I've been through several of the really cheap ones and they just never seem to last.  I just put this one on mine about a month ago and I like it a lot.  It seems to be well built.  It has a backlight, lots of settings to allow it to work with almost any bike and reads very steady.  The installation instructions are pretty good and I had no trouble getting mine set up.  Unfortunately I haven't had it installed long enough to tell you whether it will last.

http://www.bikebandit.com/koso-gp-style-universal-tachometer

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 06/27/12 at 08:46:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/27/12 at 08:06:37:
I've been through several of the really cheap ones and they just never seem to last.  I just put this one on mine about a month ago and I like it a lot.  It seems to be well built.  It has a backlight, lots of settings to allow it to work with almost any bike and reads very steady.  The installation instructions are pretty good and I had no trouble getting mine set up.  Unfortunately I haven't had it installed long enough to tell you whether it will last.

15,000rpm  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Grin Grin

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #25 - 06/27/12 at 15:37:21

Got mine from Ryca Motors, easy to install, have had no problems.  Nice to support an enterprise that sources most of their stuff locally.  Check out Jay Leno's Garage video of their bike.  If you're in SoCal drive over and save on shipping.  Nice guys who answer any questions you have.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/27/12 at 15:44:23

I'm looking as an Acewell Digital Dash, it is around $200 but it has tach, speed, temp, fuel level N/A, trip, voltimeter.
two hundred is a little too much, but I think it is a good chance for having tach, speed, trip and volts in a single point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acewell-1600-Digital-Dash-Speedo-Tacho-Clocks-Kitcar-...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #27 - 06/27/12 at 15:47:59

lch2 wrote on 06/27/12 at 15:44:23:
I'm looking as an Acewell Digital Dash, it is around $200 but it has tach, speed, temp, fuel level N/A, trip, voltimeter.
two hundred is a little too much, but I think it is a good chance for having tach, speed, trip and volts in a single point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acewell-1600-Digital-Dash-Speedo-Tacho-Clocks-Kitcar-...

The trail tech unit does all the same stuff and is cheaper

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/27/12 at 15:54:18

rfw2003 wrote on 06/27/12 at 15:47:59:
lch2 wrote on 06/27/12 at 15:44:23:

The trail tech unit does all the same stuff and is cheaper

You are 100% correct, just looked at the Vapor, really nice, went directly to the Acewell as I had one before that I really liked, but Vapor is looking really good, and cheap!

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #29 - 06/27/12 at 16:50:59

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/27/12 at 08:06:37:

Oooooooo That tach is sweet Savage_Rob. One of the best looking  I've seen so far, and another person (forgive me I forgot who) had recommended a Koso. It was a digital rig though and I really like the looks of an analog dial.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:16:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.