Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachometer (Read 442 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachometer
06/24/12 at 10:30:14

Has anyone found a decent, reasonably priced tachometer that will work on the LS650? And if so, how difficult is the install?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Re: Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachomete
Reply #1 - 06/24/12 at 11:50:44

Ebay Kosi digital mini tach it is just under 60 bucks and a breeze to put on

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 13:16:47

Thanks Rodeoclown! I guess they sold em all because a search on ebay comes up 0 results for Kosi digital mini tach. But that's ok because I really want an analog tach. What's involved in hooking up a tach on the Savage?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 15:08:53

http://www.kirkengines.com/#AnalogTach
Not chip,, not crappy, either,.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/tachometer-dial-type.html

Remember, we get ignition at TDC exhaust, too,

http://precisionspeed.com/smeng.php

REad carefully & be sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 15:46:10

I put this one on my bike, it pretty heavy duty and seems like it will last a while, not cheap crap that will break quickly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-7-8-MINI-ELECTRIC-TACHOMETER-WHITE-TACH-GAUGE-FIT-H...

spliced it into the speedometer light postive and negative lines for power and used a side clip adapter to attach the green wire to the coil wire. took about 30-40 min taking the tank off, mounting the tach and using the wiring diagram to find the right wires to splice into.

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #5 - 06/24/12 at 15:57:46

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 17:55:25

Wow! Thanks for all the great info guys. Clearush I looked at that one on ebay before, nice looking unit. I wasn't sure though because it said for Harley twin cyl. but it works on your bike.

justin_o_guy2, that tach on cartsplus is sharp but that one also says for Vtwins. Is there settings on these tachs that you set for the number of cylinders?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/24/12 at 18:32:04

Dangfino.,. remember when you talk to someone in sales to mention we get spark at TDC exhaust & compression,
That mite work out as if it was reading a twin,, but, Im no pro, so ask,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #8 - 06/24/12 at 21:40:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/12 at 18:32:04:
Dangfino.,. remember when you talk to someone in sales to mention we get spark at TDC exhaust & compression,
That mite work out as if it was reading a twin,, but, Im no pro, so ask,

This is why the one I posted works just fine, it connects to the coil and measures every spark pulse, which is 1 for compression and 1 for exhaust or 2rpm for every 4 stroke cycle which is as it should be.  Wink

Oh and it glows blue with the white face guage.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 13:52:19

Actually it's not quite that simple.   One cylinder engines CAN fire every revolution; once on the compression stroke and again on the exhaust stroke, as has been pointed out.   The exhaust stroke spark is wasted because the engine is already exhausting burning fuel.  The only downside is the spark plug wears out twice as fast.   However, one spark per rev is not always the case because the timing can also be derived from the camshaft which operates at half crankshaft speed.  This would fire the plug every other rev and a tach designed for it would indicate twice the RPM on a Savage.  Therefore, since a single cylinder engine only has one spark plug you only need one coil, but that coil may fire once per rev, or once every other rev.

With 360 degree side-by-side twins (both pistons are at TDC simultaneously, but fire alternately) you can also use a single coil and fire both spark plugs every rev.   Again, the cylinder that is exhausting won't matter.  With 180 degree side-by-side twins it gets a little more complicated, and some engines will actually fire twice per rev to allow single coil/two cylinder operation.

Further, single coil is also permissible for BMW & URAL boxer engines (opposed cylinders) because, like a side-by-side 360 twin, both pistons are at TDC simultaneously (one on compression, one on exhaust).

V-twins, however, are a little more complicated because the 2 cylinders are NOT crankshaft symmetrical.  By design, the ignition timing for each cylinder must be separate, and will, in fact, will be offset by the exact crankshaft angle (delta) between the cylinders.   This presents a problem; i.e., either you must use a separate coil and timing trigger for each cylinder (called single fire ignition), or you can use a single coil fired at different crankshaft degrees and distribute the spark to the appropriate individual plug.  In the latter case, the the coil dwell time will be different, but with only 2 cylinders, more than sufficient ( a relatively long time between firing).   All this can be even more problematic in multi cylinder engines which can use a number of variations, ranging from one coil per cylinder (single fire) to one coil for all.

Anyway, the problem for "universal" tachometers is to be able to take in these variations and produce an accurate reading.  This is reasonably easy to do at the design stage, but harder as an afterthought when trying to adapt a tach to a situation is was not intended for.   The tach internal design is usually done with "divide by" counters, the count of which is generally switch operated and selected by the consumer.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 14:05:58

Here's a simple analog dial style tach that is almost identical to the one that I have installed. I like mine too  Grin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-MINI-TACH-TACHOMETER-FITS-SUZUKI-WITH-CLAMP-/3...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 16:27:10

360k+ That sure is alot to ponder! So, all that being said, I'm not trying to play devils advocate, just trying to figure it out. How is it that the tach that EJID posted a link and pic for will work with the savage single cylinder. The ad for it says: "THIS TACHOMETER IS DESIGNED FOR DUAL FIRE IGNITIONS ONLY" and: "THIS MINI TACH WILL WORK ON ANY V-TWIN WITH A DUAL FIRE IGNITION!!" and: ITEM FITS SUZUKI MARAUDER, INTRUDER AND BOULEVARD MODELS
So does "Dual Fire" mean that it fires every stroke? Or does "Dual Fire" just mean it fires both cylinders. And how will it work with a Vtwin and a single at the same time? All so darn confusing!!

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #12 - 06/25/12 at 16:29:57

Oh by the way thanks for the link EJID, I might just buy that one. I like the size.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 06/25/12 at 16:47:25

while it's not the cheapest solution, I'll be mounting up one of the TrailTech Vapor computers to my little savage here very soon.  It allows you to either do the loops of wire around the coil wire, or direct connect to the low voltage trigger line of the coil.  As far as setting it goes, it has settings for .5, 1 and 2 pulses per revolution.  I went ahead and got the indicator dashboard with mine so I can completely do away with the speedo cluster in the tank, and fab a panel there to relocate my key switch there and a few power plugs.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #14 - 06/25/12 at 17:03:51

rfw2003,  I just googled the Trail Tech Vapor comp. Holy crap, that rig will do it all and then some. odo, tach, temp, time, speedo, engine temp, shift lights, and on and on. Incredible. May have to rethink going analog.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where can I get a decent inexpensive Tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.