Send Topic Print
Front fork question (Read 210 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Front fork question
06/24/12 at 07:20:30

I am going to add spacers to the tubes to increase the preload. I have a couple of questions. Does anyone know what size PVC pipe I need to buy? And do I need to lift the bike to do this or can I just leave it sitting on its side stand?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Front fork question
Reply #1 - 06/24/12 at 07:38:02

Take one of the spacers to Home Depot and buy the same dia.
PVC. Yes, the front end should be off the ground. And keep your hand over the cap as you loosten it or you may wind up looking for it- it is spring loaded.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 07:42:58

arteacher wrote on 06/24/12 at 07:38:02:
Take one of the spacers to Home Depot and buy the same dia.
PVC. Yes, the front end should be off the ground. And keep your hand over the cap as you loosten it or you may wind up looking for it- it is spring loaded.

That's what I figured I would need to do. Thanks!

Do I just add to the top of the factory spacer or replace the whole thing with a longer one?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 08:52:44

Some have used washers to add to the factory spacer. That would be the way to go if you are not planning to add very much preload, and you can add preload in small increments that way.
What specific problem are you having with the suspension?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 09:13:04

arteacher wrote on 06/24/12 at 08:52:44:
What specific problem are you having with the suspension?

It's more of a rider problem! I am a big boy. When I sit on the bike the front end goes way down. I have a lot of groans when hitting certain types of bumps in the road. I have never bottomed out but thought the ride may be more comfy with some spacers. Perhaps I am mistaken?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 06/24/12 at 09:38:04

If the front end is not bottoming out on the big bumps, or under severe braking, I would leave it alone. What you are going to do by increasing the preload is make the suspension stiffer, and those bumps are going to feel harsher, not softer. The stock springs are progressive and by adding preload you are setting the springs up to work in their stiffer range.
I weigh 250 and found it was the rear shocks that were giving me grief, not the front. I replaced them with Progressive Suspension 412's.
That said, it costs very little to play with the preload, and you might like the ride better.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 09:47:50

Thank you for that information!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/24/12 at 10:40:04

I added about 1/4" of washers to mine... took all my thumb power to squish them in there... (I also catapulted them to the ceiling several times)... Cover your tank with a towel, and wear goggles... Huh...

PS... real hard to find the exact size washers... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/24/12 at 10:49:25

Solder them together & JB weld them to the bottom of the cap? Otta take fewer arms to get that in,,

IDK,, mite wind up with busted bits of JB weld in a port one day,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/24/12 at 11:21:21

I think I would go the dirt bike route and modify it for adjustable preload.

drill and tap the cap.
put a plate on top of the spacers.
and adjust with a bolt thru the cap.
lock nut to secure the adjustment.

but really, if you're not bottoming out, no real need.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 06/24/12 at 11:26:25

The consensus seems to be to leave them alone. I will do just that. My rear shocks are set for the stiffest ride. I figured I needed to do that considering my weight. I will play with that instead. It is not at the point to purchase Progressives. I am just looking to reduce a few of the really sharp bumps.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 06/24/12 at 14:24:01

I'm 240 myself so I'm a big guy as well.   I went with the 412 series shocks on the rear and it made a world of difference.  The Front isn't really the issue it's the Stock rear shocks.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/24/12 at 14:45:27

Just step back & look at the bike & where the weight goes. The rider sits almost on top of the rear wheel & the rear suspension has the main load. If the ride is harsh, & lowering the rear shock performance from Hard to Soft means it bottoms out, then Id think the answer is taller, better shocks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #13 - 06/24/12 at 15:06:15

Thanks everyone. You guys rock!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 06/24/12 at 15:38:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/12 at 14:45:27:
Just step back & look at the bike & where the weight goes. The rider sits almost on top of the rear wheel & the rear suspension has the main load. If the ride is harsh, & lowering the rear shock performance from Hard to Soft means it bottoms out, then Id think the answer is taller, better shocks.

That's the dual benifit of the 412 series shocks.  They give you the better ride, but also they are longer then stock.  I have the 11" ones and use them on setting 3 when I'm by myself,  If I take someone for a ride I need to put them on the highest setting to keep from bottoming out. In retrospect I would have gone with the 11.5" ones.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:15:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front fork question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.