Summer ride (Read 248 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Summer ride
06/23/12 at 18:49:23

I know that it is hot here in Tucson, 106 today, but that doesn't make it too hot to ride.  I did a 75 mile putt down to Green Valley this morning to see my uncle who has recently lost his wife of 62 years.  We went to MacDonalds and sat and had coffee and talked.  I got home before noon.  It was hot, but as long as I was moving, I really didn't mind it.  I just made sure that when I got home, I took my helmet off first thing.

Summer doesn't mean that you stop riding.  It just changes when you ride.  Since the sun is coming up at 5 am, it is not a problem to be out, do a hundred miles, and be home before it reaches 90.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Summer ride
Reply #1 - 06/23/12 at 21:38:20

gerald it's been hot and dry out her in Kentucky but nothing like you folks in the southwest are dealing with....I feel for you! We do get a few days in the 100-110* range up here and it always comes with 98% humidity! Never stops me from riding though.

I ride 80 miles round trip to work and that puts me in cooler temps going in,but the really hot part of the day coming home of course. I figure anytime I can ride I'm out there! If I can ride to work in the winter at 29* a little heat won't kill me!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 06:36:34

Florida during the summer is definetly not the best time to ride.
We have daily storms are 2pm, then when it's not storming it's ridiculously humid. Humidity and hot weather doesn't bother me, but the storming everyday really does.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 08:19:37

We call those daily summer storms "The Monsoons".  We have them from the end of June through August.  I love to ride in  them and cool down.  You dry out.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 09:23:55

gerald.hughes wrote on 06/23/12 at 18:49:23:
Since the sun is coming up at 5 am, it is not a problem to be out, do a hundred miles, and be home before it reaches 90.

Riding cross country years ago we stayed in Kingman, AZ during a particularly hot summer.   Having ridden much of the day in the heat, we checked into a comfortable air conditioned motel for the night, and figured to get an early start the next morning to beat much of the heat.   Got up in the morning at 5am, took our showers, dressed, and opened the motel door to 96 degrees!   Needless to say, it sucked the breath right out of you, and we knew that was the best it was likely to be that day.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/24/12 at 09:53:36

Gerry would ride through Hell itself, and say,
"It's not bad,... as long as yer' movin' there's a breeze"...

Not sure about Kingman though,... it's hotter than hell... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 12:33:33

I have to admit that the road from Kingman to Barstow is one of my least favorite routes, even worse that Death Valley.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 06/24/12 at 21:33:30

"I know that it is hot here in Tucson, 106 today."

My God, I HATE hot weather....68 here in Michigan on the lakeshore today...nice...BUT..Last week we had an unbelievably HOT day when it actually hit 96. I needed to get away that day, and so I took a 60 mile ride along the Lake Huron shore.....it wasn't fun....it was sweltering,...sickeningly, hot....my vented mesh jacket circulated air so hot you could have baked bread inside my jacket. Tongue

I have always said; if it's too hot for ATGATT, then it's too hot to ride. I have learned that 96 degrees is too hot to ride!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/24/12 at 22:22:36

my vented mesh jacket circulated air so hot you could have baked bread inside my jacket.

Somehow, Im thinking whatever kinda bread dough went in, woulda come out sourdough anyway,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 00:29:45

Here in Rome it ain't so bad, it IS rather hot (36°C+ temperatures with 80+% humidity, in bumper to bumper traffic)
if you ride riverside the tall trees ensure some shade.

But if you happen to take the Ring Road (in Washington, DC they call it the Beltway) then you feel like you're stepping inside an open air oven !
The humidity drops, road temperature rises as much as 20°C to well beyond "acceptable"- even cruising at 60+mph you feel the HOT air around you.

Anyway, Barstow - Kingman isn't as bad as Kingman - Seligman via Peach Springs !

...But...

...they make such wonderful burritos in Peach Springs... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 09:24:08

We just had 3 days straight last week of 96 and humid. I was afraid to ride for fear of the bike overheating. I ended up going out for a while. Air cooled, ya, but at stop lights you can feel the heat just rolling off the motor. Thought my pants were gonna burst into flames. Not to mention the warm air blast, even when moving. Little to no cooling effect on the body.

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 09:56:24

LOL 96?  Grin wimps  It will be 102 with a heat index of 105 and relative humidity should be around 30% for my ride home from work at 6pm tonight.  96 is just average it ain't all that hot.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #12 - 06/25/12 at 10:51:52

mpescatori wrote on 06/25/12 at 00:29:45:
Here in Rome it ain't so bad, it IS rather hot (36°C+ temperatures with 80+% humidity, in bumper to bumper traffic)
if you ride riverside the tall trees ensure some shade.

But if you happen to take the Ring Road (in Washington, DC they call it the Beltway) then you feel like you're stepping inside an open air oven !
The humidity drops, road temperature rises as much as 20°C to well beyond "acceptable"- even cruising at 60+mph you feel the HOT air around you.

Anyway, Barstow - Kingman isn't as bad as Kingman - Seligman via Peach Springs !

Don't be bad mouthing the 66.  That is one beautiful stretch of road. THe Kingman/Barstow stretch is boring.

...But...

...they make such wonderful burritos in Peach Springs... Wink

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - 06/26/12 at 18:41:15

clearush wrote on 06/25/12 at 09:56:24:
LOL 96?  Grin wimps  It will be 102 with a heat index of 105 and relative humidity should be around 30% for my ride home from work at 6pm tonight.  96 is just average it ain't all that hot.

30% humidiity? Pffttt! Yeah,it's only 97 here,but the humidity is 83%.
You have to chew each breath,and I have moss growing on my a$$! Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 06/26/12 at 18:48:06

Moss?...  good cushion for longer rides?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:18:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Summer ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.