Timing Port Cover (Read 249 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Timing Port Cover
06/23/12 at 04:14:13

Is there a special tool that is needed to get this thing off.   I've tried the biggest screwdriver I have in my tool box and I can't get it to budge at all. The one I have is the older style Craftsman with the square shaft and the tip is kinda fat and a bit wider then 1/4".   I swear that the P.O. must have had king kong put the darn thing back on there.

Now that I've put the little bit quieter exhaust on the bike it sounds like I have a bit excess clearance on my lifters and I want to check the clearance and adjust as needed while I have the majority of the top part of the bike apart while doing some upgrades in lights and other wiring projects that I'm doing.   I can't find my dial calipers atm so I can't measure the width of the slot to see if I can just buy a piece of flat stock metal to use with an adjustable wrench to break it loose.  I need to buy some flat stock anyways for making some brackets for my new LED tail light and rear LED Turn/Run lights as well.

Also,  I've seen controllers that allow you to convert single element/single intensity lights to brake/turn/run lights, but are there any out there that allow you to turn dual element/dual intensity lights to brake/turn/run lights?   If not I guess I'll have to drag up my dormant circuit skills and make something up to make one that will take the input from the brake and turn signal inputs to allow them to function more like an automotive style like I want.

Thanks in advance.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Timing Port Cover
Reply #1 - 06/23/12 at 04:28:41

It takes something really big and flat.  I made my tool from a 3/16" piece of steel and I cut the blade to about an inch wide. It is not horribly pretty.....but it does the job. You could probably just get a 1" wide x 3/16" piece of metal from the hardware store and use a Crescent Wrench to apply the torque.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 06/23/12 at 04:38:01

Thanks for the quick reply,   That's exactly what I needed to know. Now I can get in there and check the rocker clearance and most likely have to adjust them.  Don't think it's the tensenor yet as it's only got 8700 miles on her and the noise is much higher up then the oil filter cover area, and I don't feel it with my heels when I press them there while riding the scoot.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 06/23/12 at 07:36:29

I bought a gasket scraper at Harbour Frieght for $3 and it fits perfect even has a square shaft in case I need a helping hand with a wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/carbon-gasket-scraper-98507.html

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 06/23/12 at 07:47:19

I've always wondered about that slot; i.e., what is Zuk's reason for making it like it is?   It's almost like one of those slots that you can use a big coin to open.  I tried a 50 cent piece and it fits, but would really require a much bigger coin.   It's probably because the slot is reasonably easy to machine.

BTW, do they accept bent 50 cent pieces at the bank?     Smiley

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/23/12 at 07:50:37

I took a big washer & ground one part more flat to fit in the slot & ran a car door hinge pivot from years gone by thru it.
Big washer,some grinder time,  vise grips & Bingo,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/23/12 at 07:56:05

an old brake pad works great, just needs a little trimming.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/23/12 at 08:00:33

Dropped it on the left side, eh, versy?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/23/12 at 08:04:43

naw, on the right... twice.

that peg just happens to be better than the one that came with it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/23/12 at 08:19:20

My pegs are missing about the bottom 1/3rd of the end cap from draggin in corners..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 06/23/12 at 08:21:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/23/12 at 08:19:20:
My pegs are missing about the bottom 1/3rd of the end cap from draggin in corners..

Careful JOG, you ain't ridin a beemer!     Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/23/12 at 08:35:12

These things will lay over so far you cant leave your foot fully on the peg. The ankle wont bend that far. I have to slide my foot back so just the toes are on the peg, My right peg rubber is wired together on the bottom because its worn thru about 2 inches in & was looking like it was gonna come off, & theyre so low to the ground & then the suspension presses down, it all adds up to some peg grinding.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/23/12 at 13:35:49

They all get the part from the same manufacturer (Honda) and they all take the same tool to remove it (Honda).

Lisa's Intruder has a hex head timing plug. You can buy them from any oem supplier online.

I just use a 5/8" i.d. washer and a piece of bar stock to remove the plug on my Savage.

Honda wants a fortune for the tool, you can make one for $2.00...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #13 - 06/23/12 at 22:19:17

I too very long tried to unscrew the lid. last season even adjust valve clearances, turning the engine from starter (Ural-a good school). so I have not succeeded until removed the left side cover and not applied  VD-40 inside.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/24/12 at 06:31:08

I use anti-seize on threads, but I suspect a strong tightening would make it hard to get off anyway. WD-40 is more of a penetrating oil than a long term lubricant. It evaporates. Either use oil, or grease, or anti-seize.
& remember to not tighten it too tight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing Port Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.