New seat on old Savage? (Read 89 times)
CanadianSpud
YaBB Newbies

Thumper + Flower =
Stinky Bunny

British Columbia
New seat on old Savage?
06/23/12 at 01:30:28

I was wondering if anyone has experience fitting a seat from a 2011 S40 onto a 86 LS650? I looked into recovering my rather rough '86 seat,  replacing with a Corbin, etc. until I sat on a 2011 at the dealership. Wow, fit me like a glove & nice and firm. On an impulse, I ordered one immediately without considering what snags I might run into. I know the rear mount is different, which I'll have to bodge a solution, but is there anything else?
Thx guys.

1986 Savage All Original (It's now a classic, why change it?)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New seat on old Savage?
Reply #1 - 06/23/12 at 02:00:11

I dunno, man, how different it is.. but if you woulda just ordered the whole bike instead of just the seat, you wouldnt hafta worry about it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 06/23/12 at 02:28:05

I can't remember the post, but it wasn't to long ago,  Someone else just installed the newer 1 piece seat from the S40's onto a Savage and all that had to be done was to bend the little U shaped handle looking part down on the rear fender.  The 2 bolts that you use to mount the main seat from the older style line up with the newer 1 piece seat and that is plenty to hold the seat with no issues.  This is the same way the Corbin seats mount just the 2 center bolts and nothing else.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
CanadianSpud
YaBB Newbies

Thumper + Flower =
Stinky Bunny

British Columbia
Reply #3 - 06/23/12 at 17:12:38

Thanks for the quick feedback! I sure hope those mounting bolts line up. I'm thinking I could also weld a mounting bolt to the top of the rear fender like tht S40s have. Hadn't thought about the bar mounting thingy on the back. I guess that would have to go.
Justin, I sure would like a new S40, but only if I paid for the seat and they threw in the bike as a freebie.

1986 Savage All Original (It's now a classic, why change it?)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 06/23/12 at 21:30:52

I've got a S/40 seat on a 96 Savage.    No Problem.  the side brackets and front are the same.   The back, I drilled a hole through the fender(watch for the two wires, put them back when your done) and put a 1/4 bolt through it with a locking nut on top , then a washer then the seat tab then another washer,+ nut to hold the seat on.   Easy as eating apple pie !

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:53:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New seat on old Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.