Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plug cap woes.. Help? (Read 86 times)
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Plug cap woes.. Help?
06/22/12 at 20:19:40

I just pulled the head cover to replace the plug cap whilst the bike got a verslavy and now I have noticed that one of my bolts appears to have stripped out. To clarify the bolt is fine, the head is stripped  :'(

any suggestions/ possible solutions?

the bolt in question is the L60 bolt.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Plug cap woes.. Help?
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 22:27:10

Go buy a 65mm long bolt, or a 66mm long bolt -- there are extra threads tapped into the head and you just need a longer bolt to reach down to engage them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 23:09:32

thank you sir, you just made my month.  Grin

What can be done to prevent this in the future? Seems like eventually Its gonna be stripped entirely.  Undecided Guess I could just get a lancer's over bore kit and call it a day. Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 23:14:22

heroicseven wrote on 06/22/12 at 20:19:40:
one of my bolts appears to have stripped out. To clarify the bolt is fine, the head is stripped  

The head is where the socket goes... the threads are the threads.

if you just messed up the flats you can file the flats to the next size down or get the same bolt.  yes, a little longer will give you more engagement but do you need it?

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 23:17:13

verslagen1,  when he says Head I think he's talking about the threads in the jug itself not the head of the bolt.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 23:26:14

as it is currently the L65 bolt is in perfect shape. However when it is inserted into the head it spins freely,, well with some resistance but just barely enough to inhibit turning by hand. when a wrench is applied it spins like a top, so I feel the longer threading may go down to some of the un-stripped threads in the head, and secure the head cover.

I can't seem to wrap my head around your references to "flats" Im a total newb to the whole mechanical world. so if you don't mind explaining that a bit in terms a 8 year old would understand, I would love to learn what your referencing.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 23:29:15

rfw2003 wrote on 06/22/12 at 23:17:13:
verslagen1,  when he says Head I think he's talking about the threads in the jug itself not the head of the bolt.

I just connected the dots about the flats, got it. And yes its the jug thats buggerd up.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 23:33:26

When you do eventually do a Lancer overbore or rebuild  I would suggest either you putting a heli-coil in or have it done.  That way you know you will have good threads for the full engagement.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/22/12 at 23:51:45

oh.... nevermind   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #9 - 06/23/12 at 00:31:27

thanks for the suggestions. Grin the heli coil looks interesting as a solution, may be a bit tricky with the depth of that particular bolt. Have you used it yet?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 06/23/12 at 00:50:48

heroicseven wrote on 06/23/12 at 00:31:27:
thanks for the suggestions. Grin the heli coil looks interesting as a solution, may be a bit tricky with the depth of that particular bolt. Have you used it yet?

while I haven't used them on this bike,  I've used them in similar situations before and they work wonders. Most of your aluminum automotive engines use them from the factory for the head and main bolt threads in the block as well.

To use one in your situation you will have to take the head off the bike so you can drill out to the proper size for tapping it for the heli-coil.  Also if you do this yourself use some Red locktite on the heli-coil for it's install. After you have the heli-coil installed just reassemble your engine and your good to go.

R.F.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/23/12 at 08:17:15

heroicseven wrote on 06/23/12 at 00:31:27:

I don't know if you have this already, but I have a parts fiche on PDF with exploded views of the whole bike (I may even have gotten it here?).   If you need, I can attach and send to your email.   It's fairly large ~5.5meg, so kids, don't try this on dialup.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/23/12 at 08:24:25

Id get a long bolt & find where the top of the good threads are & mark it.
Id take a fine piece of hard wire & find the bottom of the threads & mark that & see if theres enough thread in there to use.
A bend ta the end of the wire to make it drag will let you find the bottom thread.
Or, you could take a bolt & use a grinder on all but the bottom 2 or 3 threads. Screw that in & youll find the bottom thread.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:42:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug cap woes.. Help?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.