Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
HOLY CATS
06/22/12 at 18:01:55

I think I am going to have to spend some time getting to know my bike a bunch better.  I took the Idaho STAR course over the 15th, 16th, & 17th.  While learning to ride for the very first time in my life I was riding a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator.  And let me tell you; jumping on a 650 is a monstrous difference. I literally almost scared the solid out of myself.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: HOLY CATS
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 18:07:43

Bamm wrote on 06/22/12 at 18:01:55:
I literally almost scared the solid out of myself.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lighter = faster... Wink...
(I'm staring to repeat myself)... Huh...

Bamm,.. just 'cause the throttle goes that far,.. don't mean you have to turn it that far...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 18:23:53

Wait til you get on 1000cc or bigger.   I've been on bikes that are downright scary, even for a seasoned rider!  The new 175hp beemer can hit 130mph before you can even think, and it's not even breathing hard.  Of course, eh em, that's only what I heard...     Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 06/24/12 at 15:29:22 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 19:58:27

A new 600 sport bike will blow your mind let alone a 1000. New 600's are faster than old litre bikes. When my friend bought his Yamaha 636 he said it was the quickest bike he'd ever ridden, and he came from the days of street racing gsxr1100's

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 23:56:31

Bamm wrote on 06/22/12 at 18:01:55:
I think I am going to have to spend some time getting to know my bike a bunch better.  I took the Idaho STAR course over the 15th, 16th, & 17th.  While learning to ride for the very first time in my life I was riding a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator.  And let me tell you; jumping on a 650 is a monstrous difference. I literally almost scared the solid out of myself.   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I know what you mean, amigo. I took the BRC on an Eliminator (great name for a school bike, huh?); the low-end torque difference between that and our 650 is a real attention-getter. Practice using clutch slip to control things - it'll greatly reduce the pucker factor you may be experiencing. Slipping a wet clutch, as I trust you were taught, is simply using it as it designed to be used. As you gain experience/comfort, you'll need to do it less.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #5 - 06/23/12 at 11:24:00

Yes, the clutch slip, somehow that escaped me when my brother told me not to ride the clutch.  I no doubt must spend more time practicing & getting to know my new best friend.
    I do have to admit it was really great to come home from class and not be afraid to sit on my own bike, let alone start it and play with the clutch. After my friend was run over from behind on hers I gained a massive fear and swore I would not get on another bike until I knew how to ride and take responsibility for myself..

Bamm

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #6 - 06/23/12 at 19:48:50

I'm sure your bro' meant well, but riding the (dry) clutch in a car or truck or whatever is nowhere near the same as slipping the (wet) clutch on your Savage/S40/LS650 or most other motorcycles. Guzzis and Ducatis are exceptions here, but you needn't worry about that 'til you're wealthier. My early "training" in clutch use was counter-productive when it came to riding a motorcycle, and it took me awhile to overcome it.  

After the class I suggested to my instructer that it'd be useful to STRESS to students that the clutch lever is, in fact, a control AND SAFETY device. Its use can, for example, prevent one from becomming a hood ornament when making a turn. Or from launching oneself into a rock garden (don't ask).

Practice, allow yourself to make mistakes, take your time, have fun. And note that virtually everyone here is more experienced than yours truly, and happy to help.  

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 06/24/12 at 21:02:07

"Wait till you get on 1000cc or bigger."

Well hey, no need to go to 1000cc or bigger. This bike is light, fast, maneuverable, easy on gas, and 100% fun to ride. It will cruse at 80 MPH, and if you need more speed than that buy an airline ticket.

I have been riding, AND sailing since 1965...and believe me, bigger is NOT always better.  Wink

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/24/12 at 21:48:59

I dont ever want to ride anything that has the power to pull out from under me & take me to the end of my arms again,.
Suzi GS1100 hit the pipe & jumped out from under me so hard I couldnt roll off the gas.,Dang near got hurt, any more power & it woulda wheelied out from under me & there woulda been nothing I could do..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #9 - 07/05/12 at 20:36:34

I agree, clutch use needs to be more of a topic.  Thank you

Bamm

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/05/12 at 21:25:12

Starlifter said it first.   "Bigger is not allways better"   One of the 250 twins would be my first choice to learn to ride on.   The Savage/S40 is allmost "Too Torkky"  ...  

Your right to be respectfull ....  I've had at least 30 bikes and could have any one I want ... but I'm ridding a S40.

Best wishes ! Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/05/12 at 22:28:34

Bamm, I'd pick a residential or business street area with very little traffic. Practice a half hour a day on a daily basis. Get used to clutch, braking, handling of the Savage. Yes, it has more power than the little 250 and is geared a little taller, so after releasing the clutch, you are moving a little quicker.

After a week or 2 of this practice, you can then try the open road in traffic. There's no need to rush, main thing is saddle time to get used to the controls and feel of the bike.

After you start getting familiar enough to feel comfortable, then I'd use the bike daily to travel to/from work or school. The more regular in the saddle time you have will give you confidence.

Also, I would get some decent motorcycle clothing (jacket, overpants, leather boots covering ankles, gloves, full face helmet). These will help to protect from road rash in case you experience a fall. On-line there are decent textile goods where you won't break the bank.

Good luck on your new adventure!   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:28:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › HOLY CATS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.