Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Starting Problem- VIDEO INCLUDED (Read 314 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Starting Problem- VIDEO INCLUDED
Reply #15 - 06/22/12 at 13:09:17

The battery voltage needs to be higher than 12v, at the very least 12.5v. The battery is no good. Batteries aren't rated by their full-charge voltage, they're rated by the average between charged and discharged states. If a 12v lead-acid battery can't even reach 12.5 after coming right off the charging system, it's definitely no good.

This is my battery that has been sitting for over 3 weeks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/22/12 at 13:36:38

If you dont have a charger, get one, & if you go into the battery, now is a good time to put a pigtail on it so you can plug in a float charger. If you can solder, you can get a coupla Phono jacks from Radio shack & build up a simple plug in setup for the float charger,
You mite just need to add water & charge it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 06/22/12 at 13:46:59

Not all batteries can be refilled with water. I don't know if mine is an OEM battery but it's a sealed battery nonetheless.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/22/12 at 13:48:57

martinfilms34 wrote on 06/22/12 at 12:25:39:
I've been having some starting problems lately. Its weird, because it'll start just about perfectly the first time i try to start it. But if i shut it off and try again then it won't start at all.
After waiting a couple minutes, I'm able to start it back up normally.

It maybe you decomp is out of adjustment.
If it clicks once, that's the decomp activating.
Secound click is the starter relay.
if the decomp is out of adjustment and it's on the compression stroke, the starter will just stall.
Multiple clicks after that is the starter relay droping out cause of low voltage and re-engaging when the battery recovers.

WWW   IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #19 - 06/22/12 at 14:05:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/12 at 13:36:38:
If you dont have a charger, get one, & if you go into the battery, now is a good time to put a pigtail on it so you can plug in a float charger. If you can solder, you can get a coupla Phono jacks from Radio shack & build up a simple plug in setup for the float charger,
You mite just need to add water & charge it.
I charged it last night and im still having the problem. Voltage is dropping very low while cranking though

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 06/22/12 at 14:31:56

martinfilms34 wrote on 06/22/12 at 14:05:54:
I charged it last night and im still having the problem. Voltage is dropping very low while cranking though

Unless there's a short somewhere... you gotta bad battery.

WWW   IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #21 - 06/22/12 at 15:01:17

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and order a replacement.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 06/22/12 at 15:58:03

I can only stress one thing, get an AGM battery like the Big Crank. Checking the electrolyte level in a lead acid battery twice a year is nothing more than a great big PITA !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #23 - 06/22/12 at 16:24:24

Thanks for the help, Routy it looks like the fwd controls will have to wait again, I cant have fwd controls for a bike that doesnt start!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #24 - 06/22/12 at 16:51:40

If you can jump start from another battery (car or truck), then it's the battery for sure.   You can ground the neg side of jumper anywhere on the frame or motor, but the pos side needs to contact either the +bat terminal or the battery side of the starter solenoid to make sure the ignition and decomp circuits work as normal.  BE CAREFUL, if the pos jumper lead hits ground it shorts out both batteries!

Another possibly safer route is to disconnect the bike battery's leads (neg first), then clip the alligator leads right onto the terminal leads; essentially replacing the bike battery.   Again, make sure the pos lead doesn't vibrate around after starting and hit ground at anytime, or you'll have an early 4th of july.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #25 - 06/23/12 at 11:53:28

Routy wrote on 06/22/12 at 12:54:24:
Did you know that a standing voltage of 12.0 volts is a "dead battery"

A good battery must have a standing voltage of at least 12.5

A new battery will stand at 12.7-8

A 5 yr old battery (like mine) mite stand at 12.4, and still start the bike w/ the headlite cutout. But all batteries are different, and not dependable if they don't stand at 12.5-6

yea! i think the battery is dead Embarrassed

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
1999savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/23/12 at 13:01:56

Best bet is shop around for a cheap battery. Dont know if your in the US or Canada.  Here in Canada the cheapest is Walmart.  I just bought My Savage but from my previous bikes if seen batteries usually last for 2 maybe 3 years so no need to go crazy and buy an expensive top of the line battery.

thats just my 2 cents

Smiley

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #27 - 06/23/12 at 20:30:19

^Exactly what I'm gonna have to do. Im gonna have to go the cheaper rout on a battery. I have to spend money on other things and i cant affford to drop 90 dollars on a battery.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 06/23/12 at 21:41:32

1999savage wrote on 06/23/12 at 13:01:56:
Best bet is shop around for a cheap battery. Dont know if your in the US or Canada.  Here in Canada the cheapest is Walmart.  I just bought My Savage but from my previous bikes if seen batteries usually last for 2 maybe 3 years so no need to go crazy and buy an expensive top of the line battery.

thats just my 2 cents

Smiley

And 3 guesses why they last only 2-3 yrs.
It isn't hard to make any battery last 6-8 even 10 yrs. The secret is to keep it watered, and to keep it as fully charged as possible at all times.
The first time you let a battery go stone dead for more than 12-24 hrs, you have taken probably a year off its life. And if you let it run dry while charging, you have most likely done permanent damage to it, not to speak of how much you have shortened its life. And this is why I stress to replace w/ an AGM.....sealed lead acid battery, because the Savage is such a PITA to water the battery, that sooner or later the battery will run dry.

Therefore, if you keep it charged, you will be money ahead to spend the higher price for the maintenence free battery that will most likely never run dry.
It seems I've seen the "Big Crank" for $60-70 linked here.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #29 - 06/24/12 at 10:21:01

I ended up purchasing a battery online. I bough an AGM battery, that looks to be very good, price is awesome, and free shipping, plus 24 month warranty from what looks like to be a reputable seller.
I will let you guys know how the battery turns out, if all is well, I would recommend it. Just for the price.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:22:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting Problem- VIDEO INCLUDED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.