Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Belt Guard Rubbing (Read 171 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Belt Guard Rubbing
06/22/12 at 09:30:26

I noticed a strange noise on my bike for a couple days, kept forgetting about it until it got really bad the other day so I finally took a look at it.

I found that my belt guard is rubbing on my rear sprocket and it looks as though it may have been rubbing on the tire as well. Needless to say I'm going to be diving into it after hours tonight. Has anyone had this happen before?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Belt Guard Rubbing
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 10:02:17

WTF! did you do this time?... Grin...

Kidding,... If the rear bolt ain't missing, I guess you got some strategic bending to do...
... or there's the "chuck the guard" option... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 12:59:42

CHUCK THE GUARD!!!
CHUCK THE GUARD!!!
CHUCK THE GUARD!!!

Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 13:59:48

EJID wrote on 06/22/12 at 12:59:42:
CHUCK THE GUARD!!!
CHUCK THE GUARD!!!
CHUCK THE GUARD!!!

Grin

What he said...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 14:01:51

I don't have a problem chucking the guard. I'm just concerned if the wheel is what's shifted instead of the guard shifting.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 14:20:32

greenmonster wrote on 06/22/12 at 14:01:51:
I don't have a problem chucking the guard. I'm just concerned if the wheel is what's shifted instead of the guard shifting.

You got the spacers on the right side?

big one on the left, little on the right.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 14:23:32

verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/12 at 14:20:32:
greenmonster wrote on 06/22/12 at 14:01:51:

You got the spacers on the right side?

big one on the left, little on the right.

Dang.  I really should've remembered that too.  It has caused similar problems several times for folks on this site.  Thanks for being on the ball Verslagen.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 15:43:47

I checked the spacer position before I posted the question. I try not to deliberately look like a bonehead, I do it well enough without trying.  Wink

And to that end I'm willing to admit that I went and measured them before replying so that it didn't bite me in the arse later.  Grin

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 06/22/12 at 15:48:07

Well here's a possibility,  When you were out somewhere and had it parked.  Some ticked of HD owner that had his bike just break down on him for the 10,000th time, came over and kicked yours in the belt guard and bent it some. He came over and kicked your bike because he knew it would never have the constant break down issues that his overly priced HD does.  Grin

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #9 - 06/22/12 at 16:00:51

lol! I realized I'd been tinkering on my bike too much when one day after work I was sitting on the shop floor with bits of the bike around me and one of the office boys came through and said "Geez, you'd think it was a Harley with the amount of time you spend wrenching on it." I laughed and told him that the difference was that I was tweaking, not fixing.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #10 - 06/22/12 at 18:00:55

So I finished work. Went to crack a beer and realized that there wasn't a bottle opener to be found in the building... grrr... so I found some scrap metal and made one. First problem down.

This put me nicely into the mood. (especially since I didn't think it did a very good job on the first bottle so I had to do some tweaks and try it out on a second bottle.) I sat down to look at the bike and noticed that the jam nut on the right hand side had come loose so my wheel alignment was all off. I must have been dogtracking somethin fierce for the last couple days. I set that straight but since I had it in my head that I was going to be pulling the belt guard (not to mention the fact that after nothing to eat all day and a couple beers in as many minutes I was in no shape to ride) I pulled the guard off. I'd like to point out, that the center screw that holds that top piece on is a pain in the rump to get out.

I don't know if I'm going to keep the guard off, but I like having less to polish. I'll ride it for a couple weeks and see how I like it. In the meantime, two more parts and a handful of screws get stashed under my desk. (it's gettin crowded under there) Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/22/12 at 18:03:35

Lighter = faster... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/22/12 at 18:49:54

greenmonster wrote on 06/22/12 at 18:00:55:
So I finished work. Went to crack a beer and realized that there wasn't a bottle opener to be found in the building... grrr... so I found some scrap metal and made one. First problem down.

This put me nicely into the mood. (especially since I didn't think it did a very good job on the first bottle so I had to do some tweaks and try it out on a second bottle.) I sat down to look at the bike and noticed that the jam nut on the right hand side had come loose so my wheel alignment was all off. I must have been dogtracking somethin fierce for the last couple days. I set that straight but since I had it in my head that I was going to be pulling the belt guard (not to mention the fact that after nothing to eat all day and a couple beers in as many minutes I was in no shape to ride) I pulled the guard off. I'd like to point out, that the center screw that holds that top piece on is a pain in the rump to get out.

I don't know if I'm going to keep the guard off, but I like having less to polish. I'll ride it for a couple weeks and see how I like it. In the meantime, two more parts and a handful of screws get stashed under my desk. (it's gettin crowded under there) Roll Eyes

I sat down to look at the bike and noticed that the jam nut on the right hand side had come loose so my wheel alignment was all off.

The torque goes in on the left. &, those adjusters arent supposed to hold the wheel straight, thats what the axle does. You should be able to back the adjusters out & jam the nuts on the back of the chrome stirrup & the wheel never change in the frame.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 06/22/12 at 18:58:50

Serowbot wrote on 06/22/12 at 18:03:35:
Lighter = faster... Wink...

Just can't leave that heavy handlebar thread alone, can you Sero?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #14 - 06/25/12 at 08:37:13

JOG - It seems as though my axle had come loose and since the belt was pulling forward on the left, the right side slid back. This is of course just what I'm theorizing from what I've seen in front of me, I could be completely off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:33:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Guard Rubbing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.