Jetting question. (Read 198 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Jetting question.
06/22/12 at 07:44:08

I have  Raask exhaust and a K&N slab filter. I have 55 pilot and 150 main jets installed with a 3/4 white spacer mod. I have a Dial-a-Jet installed. The mixture screw is 2 3/4 turns out. I drive around at roughly 1000' altitude. The plug looks good.
The specific problem I am having is the idle drops down too low, sometimes to the point of stalling, when I let off the throttle quickly from about 2000- 2500 rpm or higher. I have replaced the spring and the diaphragm in the TEV, and cleaned the carb thoroughly twice.
This problem disappears when running with the choke out one notch- in fact the bike runs much smoother that way, except that it is too rich.
Would going up to a 57.5 pilot be the solution? I ask because I have never heard of anyone running a pilot that large.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jetting question.
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 08:05:57

2 3/4 out tells me you should up the pilot jet.
most bikes will run a little smoother a little rich.
Not many with your setup so an unusual size is expected.
worth a try anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 08:12:20

I remember when mine ran smoother w/ 1 notch choke. But it did that from day one.
But how do you figure it runs much smoother when choked, but yet runs too rich ? That just doesn't add up.

Normally if its running lean (1 notch choke) in the low to midrange, the white spacer mod fixes it. But you already did that, so you have to suspect there is another issue. Seems this all started when you modded the carb to get rid of backfire. This is one reason why I warn against it.
I have read of a lot more carb problems after modding, than before.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 08:28:32

I would go up one richer on high jet.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 08:36:55

For several years Ive had to use choke to start & idle, even on 80* days,,

Now, Ive cleaned the carb & got the slide in Clean & Dry. It runs better than ever,, If the pilot doesnt smooth things out for ya, give pulling the slide & cleaning inside the cab & outside the slide,. I dont think I got it right the first time,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 09:08:19

I might guess that one of your idle passages is partial blocked...

You can try some "snake oil" cleaner if you like,... or clean the carb...
(running thin wire, compressed air and carb cleaner through the holes is the real way to do it)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 09:10:38

Where to get it?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 09:17:58

If, as Rowboat suggests, your pilot is partially clogged, Id go straight in with a tiny wire. YOu can get one thats way stiff, as tiny wires go, from a hobby shop. Expect to spend about a dollar.
You mite win with a squirt of brake cleaner ( the cheap er answer compared to) Berrymans, Expect to spend 3 to 5 bucks,depending on choice.

Let it get in your eyes & the cost of the can wont matter any more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 06/22/12 at 09:37:33

I have had the carb completely apart, and cleaned it twice- all the passages, jets etc etc. with wires and carb cleaner and compressed air. It is clean.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/22/12 at 09:45:03

Then make sure you can get the pilot out with the carb on the bike, get the carb clean & dry where the slide runs, slide clean & dry. Shoot the inside of the carb with the cleaner & paper towel it, no fingerprints, no leftover bits ot paper,,slide super clean, too. Slap it together & see how it acts. If ya need to swap pilots, its easy enough on the bike,

You may have cleared the pilot,, it doesnt have to be something youd feel.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 06/22/12 at 09:48:21

Routy wrote on 06/22/12 at 08:12:20:
I remember when mine ran smoother w/ 1 notch choke. But it did that from day one.
But how do you figure it runs much smoother when choked, but yet runs too rich ? That just doesn't add up.

Normally if its running lean (1 notch choke) in the low to midrange, the white spacer mod fixes it. But you already did that, so you have to suspect there is another issue. Seems this all started when you modded the carb to get rid of backfire. This is one reason why I warn against it.
I have read of a lot more carb problems after modding, than before.

It runs rich because I don't tune the idle screw with the choke out. I probably could try that, but what good would it do?
And I replaced the spring and diaphragm in the TEV with new parts. (that little diaphragm cost $70! )

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 06/22/12 at 09:54:33

Ordered a 57.5 and 60 pilots from Niche cycle in Florida.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 06/22/12 at 17:39:34

arteacher wrote on 06/22/12 at 07:44:08:
I have  Raask exhaust and a K&N slab filter. I have 55 pilot and 150 main jets installed with a 3/4 white spacer mod. I have a Dial-a-Jet installed. The mixture screw is 2 3/4 turns out. I drive around at roughly 1000' altitude. The plug looks good.
The specific problem I am having is the idle drops down too low, sometimes to the point of stalling, when I let off the throttle quickly from about 2000- 2500 rpm or higher. I have replaced the spring and the diaphragm in the TEV, and cleaned the carb thoroughly twice.
This problem disappears when running with the choke out one notch- in fact the bike runs much smoother that way, except that it is too rich.
Would going up to a 57.5 pilot be the solution? I ask because I have never heard of anyone running a pilot that large.

K&N filter and a Raask and you only did a 3/4 white spacer mod ?
The K&N and Raask moves more air for you so you need more fuel to mix with it.  The Dial-a-jet picks up in the mid range but you could still have a lean spot in the 1/4-1/2 range.  I would go to at least 1/2 white spacer, if not a bit more to richen the low-mid range crossover.  If you have a good distinct setting on your pilot jet then you could possible to to a #57.5 to try.
I have a stock S40 with a small cone filter and an Emgo reverse cone muffler from RYCA.  I am currently running a #52.5 pilot with the screw at 2 3/4 turns out and a #52.5 main jet.  It runs smooth and strong and have twice hit 105mph indicated on the speedo  on a flat freeway run.
The Emgo is as flow through as a muffler gets, at least as much as a Raask.  I've not tried a #55 pilot or #155 main jet yet but will this weekend and see what if any difference that makes.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 07/12/12 at 10:07:59

I thought I would update this thread: I took a washer off the needle, so now there is only one washer. It did not fix the idle drop problem. I put in a 57.5 pilot. I don't think that fixed it either, but it started without choke and was easier to tune.
I will go for a ride today and "road" tune it and report back.

« Last Edit: 07/12/12 at 14:20:27 by arteacher »  

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 07/12/12 at 14:19:49

Report back: The idle dropping problem is no better. However, the bike runs a lot smoother, acceleration is stronger and more even, and it hardly ever pops between shifts, and didn't backfire at all. The idle seems more even as well.
BTW, I installed an oil temp gauge and the oil temp was 248 deg after a 45 min ride in city and country. Is that about where it should be with the ambient temp at 86?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.