Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member with a new Harley muffler (Read 113 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
New member with a new Harley muffler
06/21/12 at 12:29:52

Hey guys!  This is my first post on the bored, though I've been lurking for a couple of months.  While this is my first Suzuki, it is NOT my first bike.  I'm also finishing up a rebuild on a '73 Honda CB500, so I'd like to think I have some decent knowledge to contribute.  Anyways, enough with the intro!

Anybody who reads the Technical Reference threads has probably seen about the different Harley mufflers you can swap out.  This is just my personal opinion on the one I purchased.  I got a HD Screamin' Eagle Dyna muffler.  It is the front from the set P/N 80492-07.  It's a side slash cut, and it's a 49-state muffler - sought after by the HD crowd since they were replaced with a lower performing 50-stater.  Anyways it sounds GREAT!  Loud when I lay on the throttle, not bad at a cruise.  Install wasn't bad, and would have been easier if I hadn't buggered up the neck when I cut extra slots in the muffler.  I'll have more pics and review tonight when I'm home from work.

I'm glad to be hear! This seems like a great forum to be a part of!

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: New member with a new Harley muffler
Reply #1 - 06/21/12 at 14:51:23

Welcome!

Glad your here and cant wait for the pics.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 05:59:01

Here's a few pictures.  I took a video, but it's rotated 90 degrees to the left.  I'll just take another later.

I'm a little upset, though...  my tiger patch held up for about 100 miles, and now it's already starting to leak a tiny bit out of the front.  I'm not sure if I'll just throw more on there or look into a better method to seal it.  Any suggestions??

FWIW, I DID do the flame test after the install and after the ride to set the tiger patch.  I only tested it again today after the video because I'm paranoid.  My current setup it stock header with 2 1/4 wraps of patch, 1 wrap of a campbell's soup can, another 1 1/2 wrap of patch, the muffler tabs, another 1 1/2 wrap of patch around the outside of everything, and then the clamp.  While it was setting I had another small hose clamp on the very front to seal the outermost patch to the header.  It was fine with that on, and I'm kicking myself now for having ever removed it.  If/when I add more patch, I'll leave the set clamp on there and just hide it behind a heatshield.

On another note:  I'm growing impatient waiting on my JetSet from Lancer!!

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 06:14:40

Looks great! I originally used the Tiger patch as well. It burned up for me after a short period of time. I played with muffler putty too. I finally figured it out (for my bike anyway). The HD muffler had 2 slits in it. I added 2 more the same length with a cutoff tool. The hacksaw blade didn't remove enough metal for my application. I also needed to cut off the narrowed part of the header since it hit the baffle of the muffler and didn't allow me to slide it on completely. I had a hard time finding the clamp that I wanted. I used one like you have but it didn't seal very well. I wanted one that wrapped the entire circumference of the joint. I ended up ordering the one pictured below. I wrapped a Pepsi One can around the header to pick up the space. I cut the width but left the length. I think it wrapped 2 or 2.5 times. I have put a bunch of miles on it and it seems to be holding up. I do keep checking it though.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/stainless-t-bolt-clamp-min-175-inches-x-max...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 11:23:02

Oh, awesome!  Thanks, Greg!  I'm a Blackhawk mechanic in the Army, and we use those same style clamps all over the aircraft.  Thanks for showing me where to get them!  I'll definitely try it.

I used my Dremel with the reinforced cutting disk to make my slots. I cut the neck into 8 tabs, but I made my slots too long.  I cut all the way down the neck to just before the bead where it meets the body.  My first attempt involved the tin can crush method, and it leaked some on both sides.  My initial thought was that my cut length prevented it from sealing, but now I'm thinking it's just due to the clamp.  That's what I get for trying a HD clamp, right?   Roll Eyes  I guess I'll grab one of those clamps, drink myself a coke, and try this whole thing again.

I'm tempted to braze the darn thing on, but since it's a fiberglass baffle and eventually I'll have to repack it I suppose I'll do my best to make it removable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 11:30:52

Try a piece of shimstock on the outside  to cover the ends of the slots. Clamp in 2 places. Add a dash of hope..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:36:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member with a new Harley muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.