Send Topic Print
Lucas like Seafoam? (Read 169 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Lucas like Seafoam?
06/21/12 at 09:38:09

I know where several of you guys stand on the seafoam additive.

How about the Lucas oil stabilizer? any opinions on whether that just looks good on the checkout counter's little model with the crank handle?  or do we accomplish the same by just buying quality oil?

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Lucas like Seafoam?
Reply #1 - 06/21/12 at 09:54:57

They're nearly all, just different blends of the same three basic ingredients... (mineral oil, naptha, and alcohol)...
All,.. will just thin out your oil...
Nuttin' beats an oil n' filter change with a good quality oil... Wink...

(other, "high mileage, leak stopper" additives, are just variations of motor honey... that thicken oil)... turning your multi-grade oil into something approaching cheap, straight 30wt or 40wt...

That said,... I have used Marvel's Mystery oil in an old Datsun to quiet some sticky lifters... but our bikes don't have lifters...
I add a teaspoon to a tankful a couple of times a year... Just for tradition... doubt if it does much of anything...
Doubt if it hurts much either... (not to my oil)...
... but if you're trying to fix a genuine problem,... best bet is to fix the problem, and not just hope some magic will happen.  

As for the hottie with a crank in her hand... I'm sold!...
Seafoam's got nuttin' on that... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/21/12 at 10:07:45

Quote:
Nuttin' beats an oil n' filter change with a good quality oil... ...

If your oil's been destabilized, it gonna be full of carp, why add more carp?

WWW   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #3 - 06/21/12 at 11:11:59

this was my opinion going in........good quality oil and change it when you should.

always good to hear the free flowing wisdom from my compadres here though.........never dull..........i like straight talk.....good for the soul.  Wink

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/21/12 at 16:15:54

Serowbot wrote on 06/21/12 at 09:54:57:
They're nearly all, just different blends of the same three basic ingredients... (mineral oil, naptha, and alcohol)...

Also wintergreen, like in Marvel Mystery Oil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/21/12 at 21:45:22

I use it in the backhoe. I was ill & didnt start the poor thing for several months, when I did, it took forever for the oil pressure to come up, damaged some bushings I guess.. It loses pressure after it gets warmed up all the way, I add that stuff & hope its helping,,its sure sticky right outta the jug, but, once diluted into the oil,, ehhh,, not so much,, Problee whizzin my $$$ in a hole on that stuff.,, the seafoam, OTOH, I can show the improvement there.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 06:37:04

I don't believe in most additives - but will use them on occasion when the symptoms warrant it.

In a car with hydraulic lifter that are noisey - things like Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil, and similar solvents can help to clean things up and get them working well agqain.

I had an S10 pickup with a standard transmission.  The transmission had a very thin oil in it as the factory is trying to get good mpg rating.  The transmission was starting to get a whine in it, and I added Lucas Oil Stabilizer and change the oil.....and the whine went away and the transmission worked great.  When I changed the transmission oil in my Pontiac Vibe I used the Lucas Gear Oil, and my MPG went up a little bit.

I am a bit afraid of using the Luca Oil Stabilizer in the Savage sump.  The clutch is not known to be very strong - and the last thing it needs is oil that is clingy and makes oil stay between the plates when the clutch lever is released.

As far as fuel cleaners go and using them on my motorcycles - I remove the dirty parts and clean them.  The exception is on my cars with fuel injection - I will occasionally use a fuel system cleaner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 06:41:13

You can use Sea Foam in the S40 sump,Cleans the engine and clutch.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/22/12 at 12:07:26

The only times I've used MMO or Seafoam in the oil, I added it just before a regular oil change, then ran it for maybe 150 miles and changed the oil and filter like normal.  I might be overprotective but I just don't want to go for extended periods with an added solvent in my oil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/22/12 at 12:11:52

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/22/12 at 12:07:26:
... I might be overprotective but I just don't want to go for extended periods with an added solvent in my oil.

PLUS +1 to that!
I've never used that kind of stuff in my oil; only occasionally in my fuel tank where I know it will get burned through, and even there I try to put it in just before a good days ride; just to be sure I'll burn it all up right away. I want it to do its job, but I don't want it just sitting around anywhere in my bike....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/22/12 at 13:09:54

My guess is the solvent is gone within 30 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/22/12 at 14:04:57

bill67 wrote on 06/22/12 at 13:09:54:
My guess is the solvent is gone within 30 miles.

You might be right but I just prefer to err on the side of caution.  That's why I would only do it when I'm just about ready to change the oil anyway.  I've only done it a couple of times and on a well-used bike I'd bought and wanted to try to clean it up a bit while I didn't have the time or money for a teardown/cleaning/rebuild yet.

rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 06/22/12 at 15:15:11

Myself I've rarely used a solvent in the oil.  Reason being is that it breaks the gunk loose in the engine.  Now think about this,  with it not sticking to the seals, casting flash, gasket edges and such, where is this gritty gunk at now?  It's in your oil going to all your bearing surfaces, in-between the seals and sealing surfaces, and all other load bearing and friction surfaces.  Now what is this gritty gunk doing now that it is freely floating around until it gets to the filter, it's wearing down all those surfaces and tearing up seals.  If you begin with using a quality oil to begin with you wouldn't really have this issue at all to warrant the need of a solvent in your oil.

Just my $0.02 here, but it's something for you all to think about when putting a solvent of any brand into your oil.

As for the Lucas next time your at you local parts store and try that little crank display out,  feel the difference between the effort of the normal oil and that with the Lucas.  Lucas thickens your oil some, which might be good on a at operation temp engine but at start-up it's gonna take longer for your oil to get to your friction surfaces causing damage to your engine.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/22/12 at 19:22:17

When I was in high school one of my buddies dad was a farmer Cars trucks tractor etc he never change oil from brand new he just would add oil,He said you just stir up the gunk when you change oil,He was 40years old and he always did that.I see my buddy maybe ever 2 years if I think of it I will ask him if he followed in his dads foot steps on the oil deal,But then they didn't have oil filters.That was in the 1950's.Everyone else was changing ever 2000 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:20:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lucas like Seafoam?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.