Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
[SOLVED] No Mid-Range Throttle (Read 383 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: No Mid-Range Throttle - Dies When Choke Applie
Reply #30 - 06/21/12 at 20:10:37

You are very welcome.  Smiley

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Re: No Mid-Range Throttle - Dies When Choke Applie
Reply #31 - 06/21/12 at 20:19:33

Serowbot wrote on 06/21/12 at 20:00:07:
Yer' welcome, 33...  
By the way,.. that's your official abbreviated Savage name here, if you're gonna' hang around...

To heck if I'm gonna' type l33tl4m3r every time I wanna' say hi... Huh...

LOL! Fair enough!

And yeah, I am gonna stick around, got some karma to repay and a LOT to learn!

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: [SOLVED] No Mid-Range Throttle
Reply #32 - 06/21/12 at 21:32:03

Hey,, I shoulda had your answer a day before,, but, a win is a win,, I dont remember who it was who put the clues out so well,, thats who gets the most credit from me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #33 - 06/21/12 at 22:28:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/21/12 at 21:32:03:
Hey,, I shoulda had your answer a day before,, but, a win is a win,, I dont remember who it was who put the clues out so well,, thats who gets the most credit from me,

Totally, man!

You, Serow, and RF all pointed me to the oil and the clutch.

Thanks again for getting my head out of the carb!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #34 - 06/21/12 at 22:49:36

l33tl4m3r wrote on 06/21/12 at 22:28:58:

.. and you thought your helmet was tight... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #35 - 06/21/12 at 23:03:43

That would be your neighbor in the next county me. Smiley well me and Serow. I pulled the quotes from his posts that pointed towards the clutch slippage and possible oil contamination, but I can't take all the credit here as it was stuff I learned from all the veterans here. Until I found this forum after laying my hands on my 96' savage I had forgotten that wet clutches didn't work so well with standard automotive oils.  It's been over 15 years since I have been in the wind and on 2 wheels.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #36 - 06/21/12 at 23:43:35

Serowbot wrote on 06/21/12 at 22:49:36:
l33tl4m3r wrote on 06/21/12 at 22:28:58:

.. and you thought your helmet was tight... Grin...

Glad I didn't order it with the extra thick padding then!

Speaking of, I have a nice chromed KBC, one they don't make anymore!

I'll take some pics!

rfw2003 wrote on 06/21/12 at 23:03:43:

That would be your neighbor in the next county me. Smiley well me and Serow. I pulled the quotes from his posts that pointed towards the clutch slippage and possible oil contamination, but I can't take all the credit here as it was stuff I learned from all the veterans here. Until I found this forum after laying my hands on my 96' savage I had forgotten that wet clutches didn't work so well with standard automotive oils.  It's been over 15 years since I have been in the wind and on 2 wheels.

See, and I'm a fairly new mechanic as well, owned a couple of Buell Blasts before the Savage. They are fairly maintenance free.

I wanted to see what a cruiser was like, and chose the Savage. I honestly LIKE the thought of putting some wrench time in, as that, with mods, makes it feel like MY bike, not just a bike I am riding.

---

I am watching the friction zone on my clutch after giving it some slack and fixing the oil issue.

If I see the friction zone decreasing, and I am sure it's all in my head due to the endless problems I've had with the bike, what might cause this?

Should I still do a clutch job on the bike to be safe?

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #37 - 06/21/12 at 23:48:18

I never would have guessed clutch from your original question, I assumed you knew what a slipping clutch sounded like. It's a pretty unmistakable circumstance. If the engine on a manual vehicle ever revs without the vehicle accelerating, that's a slipping clutch. No ifs, ands or buts, that's a slipping clutch. There is only one instance where a clutch is designed to slip under normal conditions and that is in a drag car - but I mean top-fuel or funny-car, not your mom-n-pop Mustang on Sunday's run-what-you-brung.

IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #38 - 06/21/12 at 23:59:10

Cavi Mike wrote on 06/21/12 at 23:48:18:
I never would have guessed clutch from your original question, I assumed you knew what a slipping clutch sounded like. It's a pretty unmistakable circumstance. If the engine on a manual vehicle ever revs without the vehicle accelerating, that's a slipping clutch. No ifs, ands or buts, that's a slipping clutch. There is only one instance where a clutch is designed to slip under normal conditions and that is in a drag car - but I mean top-fuel or funny-car, not your mom-n-pop Mustang on Sunday's run-what-you-brung.

Definitely why I like this community, Serow nailed it on the second reply.

This is also a direct result of the level of care I usually give to a vehicle; I simply don't understand why the previous owner used oil not made for a bike, which is also why I never would have thought of the oil as being the problem.

Which is ALSO why I was not familiar with the symptoms, lol!

Now, early on, as I said in my reply after Serow and Justin first posted, I did feel like it was the clutch not disengaging but, again, as I would never foul up a vehicle with lubricant it wasn't designed for, I was too stubborn to see this easy fix, lol!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #39 - 06/22/12 at 00:41:33

l33tl4m3r wrote on 06/21/12 at 23:43:35:
See, and I'm a fairly new mechanic as well, owned a couple of Buell Blasts before the Savage. They are fairly maintenance free.

I wanted to see what a cruiser was like, and chose the Savage. I honestly LIKE the thought of putting some wrench time in, as that, with mods, makes it feel like MY bike, not just a bike I am riding.

---

I am watching the friction zone on my clutch after giving it some slack and fixing the oil issue.

If I see the friction zone decreasing, and I am sure it's all in my head due to the endless problems I've had with the bike, what might cause this?

Should I still do a clutch job on the bike to be safe?

Thanks again!

Wet clutch systems rarely wear out,  They are designed to last practically forever. Once the old automotive oil has completely flushed out of the friction pads you shouldn't really have an issue anymore. The most you should have to do at a much later date would be to change the push rod that engages the pressure plate to one of the other lengths if your adjustment goes out of the acceptable range as marked on the cover.  I think there has only been one person on here that has actually posted that his friction pads had actually worn down below service specs.  What you will notice especially if your practicing your friction zone is that when you really heat up the clutch, it may not always totally dis-engage when you pull the clutch lever.  That is when you need to stop the friction zone practice and take it for a good ride to let it all cool down.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › [SOLVED] No Mid-Range Throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.