Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Air conditioning question... (Read 155 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Air conditioning question...
06/19/12 at 18:42:02

They sell 134a,... and then they sell this "Sub-Zero synthetic A/C booster"...
Is that stuff for real?... Does it work better?... Will it damage the system?...
... and why don't they all have it?...

It's really hot here.... Huh...

PS... Would that SubZero stuff work in a house air-conditioner?... Like a three ton?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Air conditioning question...
Reply #1 - 06/19/12 at 19:46:53

I have used this stuff. It works great! In my car. Don't know about the house but would imagine it'd be fine.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 06/19/12 at 19:56:49

Different gases, different oils.

You got that crap to work? It kinda cooled off the Subaru system, completely destroyed the conversion 134a stuff on my Ranger.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/19/12 at 20:48:34

Hows the AC on the bike tho?

I've ridden across AZ plenty times in the summer.   After you fill up for gas, scoot over to the radiator filling station and shower with your duds on.   It only lasts about 5 minutes, but OMG, it is 5 minutes of absolute bliss.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 06/20/12 at 02:58:03

...it's made by NASA?     Huh

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/20/12 at 08:47:08

Surely you wouldn't consider putting this stuff in your home system!  Different refrigerants operate under different temperatures and pressures.  Auto air conditioning stuff is totally different from the home stuff.  (134a vs. R22 (or 410a in newer units)  It would eventually junk the compressor.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/20/12 at 09:20:10

Well, I retract my earlier statement. Do not use it in your home AC. I guess I shoulda looked to see what refrigerant is used in it. Still worked great in my car!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/20/12 at 09:23:56

babyhog wrote on 06/20/12 at 08:47:08:
Surely you wouldn't...

I surely wouldn't,... without asking for some expert opinions here...
... but,... it didn't hurt to ask... Wink...

Any idea, if it works better and is safe for cars?... Is it snake oil, or is there something really better about the ingredients?...
... and,... why don't they just improve 134a, instead of making this add-on stuff?...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 06/20/12 at 09:48:41

Well, hubby is the HVAC guy, but he also likes to explain how things work, cause I'm always curious anyway.... so I hear lots about systems and such.  I'm no expert, but he's not big on the "extra" crap they try to feed you.  Air conditioning is all about removing the heat from the air.... not adding cool/cold air.  So the effectiveness of such crap is all relative to your particular system, and how its charged, and what pressure it is charged to, blah, blah.  And if you have a leak, anything is going to feel better... until it leaks out again...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Sam7.62

It made better sense
in my head...

Tampa, Fla
Reply #9 - 06/20/12 at 09:51:43

Only use what it calls for in any A/C system. All  'drop ins' are snake oil. Not sure what residential A/Cs uses (r-20 or r-22?) Also need gauges to fill it.  PSI goes too high and you could blow something up.

Never use anything with 'stop leak' in any A/C system. It doesn't know the diff between a leak and the tiny passages in the evap, condenser, orifice tube(if your car has one)  r-134a works well on its own, r-12 was better but make baby whales cry.(DuPont's patent ran out)

There is going to be a new refrigerant coming out in 2014ish. Forgot the name though.

'08 S40 Jardine,Debadged,Backoff/XP brake flasher deal
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/20/12 at 09:55:32

DuPont's patent ran out)

Convenient timing to discover R-12 is evil, ehh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 06/20/12 at 10:24:19

Sam7.62 wrote on 06/20/12 at 09:51:43:
Only use what it calls for in any A/C system. All  'drop ins' are snake oil. Not sure what residential A/Cs uses (r-20 or r-22?) Also need gauges to fill it.  PSI goes too high and you could blow something up.

Never use anything with 'stop leak' in any A/C system. It doesn't know the diff between a leak and the tiny passages in the evap, condenser, orifice tube(if your car has one)  r-134a works well on its own, r-12 was better but make baby whales cry.(DuPont's patent ran out)

There is going to be a new refrigerant coming out in 2014ish. Forgot the name though.

R-22 is the most common residential, but it can no longer be used for "new" installations (since like early 2010).  Its being phased out totally, as all old units using it are replaced.  410A is replacing it.  Supposed to be better, more earth-friendly, all that jazz.  Kicker is all the gauges and instruments are different because 410A uses higher pressures.  Almost gotta be a rocket scientist to do some of the calculations!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/20/12 at 10:40:30

Thanks for the info, Piglet, and Sam...
My home is a 4ton 12 seer with R22... I won't be remotely tempted.. just had to ask...

So,.. consensus seems to be... the stuff is snake oil,.. even for 134a auto use?....
My car has a slow leak, that seems to last a season, then need a recharge every season...
.. but, a $10 can of freon every season is cheaper than a $200 fix...
...it's a $1500 car... Grin...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 06/20/12 at 12:51:06

Serowbot wrote on 06/20/12 at 10:40:30:
Thanks for the info, Piglet, and Sam...
My home is a 4ton 12 seer with R22... I won't be remotely tempted.. just had to ask...

So,.. consensus seems to be... the stuff is snake oil,.. even for 134a auto use?....
My car has a slow leak, that seems to last a season, then need a recharge every season...
.. but, a $10 can of freon every season is cheaper than a $200 fix...
...it's a $1500 car... Grin...

Consensus of 4, I suppose   Cheesy

And wow, that's a perdy big unit you got there...     Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 06/20/12 at 12:58:31

I don't think you every have to recharge a home systems if its not leaking.Or put more pressure and it will cool better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:16:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Air conditioning question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.