Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to loosen rotor bolt? RH or LH threads? (Read 406 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How to loosen rotor bolt?
Reply #15 - 06/20/12 at 22:32:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/20/12 at 22:21:39:
But doesnt the shaft rotate CCW?

Yes, same as...
Quote:
old Mopars had reverse threads on the driver side wheels

and old VW's

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 06/20/12 at 22:44:29

Come to think of it, so does one of my boat trailers, so old it also has a transverse leaf spring... Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/21/12 at 06:23:33

I am suddenly having a problem, I cant for the life of me grasp WHY on a CCW rotating shaft there would be left hand threads.,
& I dont remember the LH lugs on the drivers side, cuz, that doesnt make sense to me, Passenger side does,.because IF you held the lug And rotated the tire ( to go forward), then, the lug would loosen if it was RH  thread.,
A CCW rotating shaft would tighten RH threads.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #18 - 06/21/12 at 06:54:29

Updated status on my problem of removing rotor bolt -- Now I've tried removing it by rotating it clockwise. I'm holding onto the flats of the rotor with a monster 36mm wrench and trying to rotate the 17mm rotor bolt with various tools. Nothing is working, so far. I've started applying heat with a propane torch. My electric impact wrench has not loosened it. I will recruit an assistant and will start trying cheater bars and more heat cycles. Crazy.

I do understand that I should not use hammering as I would be hammering on the main crankcase bearings. Radial hammering on a cheater bar or wrench would be OK I think, but no hammering on the head of the bolt in the direction of the main axis of the crankshaft as that would impact the bearings.

I bought a 2001 Savage with 3K miles on it for $1500 and will swap that engine into my Ryca chassis to get it back on the road.

The 1996 Savage/Ryca engine I am working on now will eventually go into the 2001 Savage chassis assuming I can do the repair. The engine has 22K miles on it and is a boat anchor unless the mainshaft is replaced. Pulley splines are gone. I've got little to lose. I'm looking at this as a learning experience.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 06/21/12 at 07:09:32

WHOA,,

Put it together & take the socket to some place where they have a compressor & impact.

& dont guess at which way to turn it. Put 2 eyes on a book.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #20 - 06/21/12 at 07:25:20

I've got a Clymer's manual. It does not explicitly state that the rotor bolt has left-handed (LH) thread. So, the default would be right-handed (RH) threads.

However, on this site the rotor bolt is referenced as one of three LH fasteners on this bike. This is supposed to have been verified by at least two Forum members.
Lefty Threads...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1299521066

I don't have the Suzuki Service Manual(SSM) yet -- I think I should buy one. In the meantime, would someone who owns a SSM verify that the 17mm rotor bolt in the center of the rotor, p. 244, figure 13 in Clymers, is actually a left-handed thread bolt?

RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/21/12 at 07:25:25

From my SSM:

Primary Drive Gear- Hold rotor w/ 36mm wrench  - torque=65-79.5 lb-ft

NOTE: This nut has left-hand thread. Turn it counter-clockwise when tightening. Cool

No mention of any threadlocker being used.

HTH.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #22 - 06/21/12 at 07:31:18

Agree, the primary drive gear nut (on the right side of the engine) uses LH threads. Clymers, p. 131 states CAUTION: The primary drive gear nut has left-hand threads.

But I'm not talking about the primary drive gear nut. I'm talking about the rotor bolt. On the left side of the engine. The bolt behind the circular inspection cover on the left hand engine case you rotate to get TDC during a valve adjustment.

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/21/12 at 07:38:54

Since it turns CCW in use, it would not make sense for it to be LH thread.
Each power pulse of the motor would be trying to make it vibrate loose.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #24 - 06/21/12 at 07:41:35

I would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually loosened the rotor bolt. Thanks!

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 06/21/12 at 07:56:03

Buck... FYI,.. I made the list from what other members said they had experienced...  I haven't pulled the rotor nutt myself...
Hope I didn't advise you wrong,... but, it looks like maybe I did...

When you do,.. hopefully get the nut loose, I'll be watching and make any corrections needed to the post...
Best luck...  Sorry again,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #26 - 06/21/12 at 11:25:01

Ok, I ordered the Suzuki Service Manual for this bike (only $10 for a CD on eBay). I'm not doing anything else on that bolt until I read it.

lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/21/12 at 13:21:23

BuckRYCA wrote on 06/21/12 at 07:41:35:
I would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually loosened the rotor bolt. Thanks!

I did removed that one when replacing my starter clutch, it is a bitc.....h to loosen.

The Big one (I think 36mm) on the rotor is meant to use with a removal tool that the vast majority of us do not have, I removed the 17mm from the center, and then keep on the electric impact wrench on the 36mm, did not turn one inch, but eventually the vibration get it loose, it is not an screw or bolt, it just meant for the removal tool to clamp there.

After the vibration got it loose, I was able to pull it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch out, then it was stuck, after viewing it more deeply, I saw that it was being held by the "key in the keyway" (sorry, don't know the appropriate word), it took some wiggle to get it aligned and it came out eventually.

The point here is don't try to turn the 36mm, as it will not turn, remove the 17mm and then apply vibrating power to the 36mm, and it will come loose after a while.

Good luck, as this requires some of that Wink

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Re: How to loosen rotor bolt? RH or LH threads?
Reply #28 - 06/21/12 at 13:33:12

I can hardly stand the suspense!  Wink

Which way did you turn 'the 17mm from the center' to loosen it? Clockwise or Counter-clockwise?

lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How to loosen rotor bolt? RH or LH threads?
Reply #29 - 06/21/12 at 13:58:08

BuckRYCA wrote on 06/21/12 at 13:33:12:
I can hardly stand the suspense!  Wink

Which way did you turn 'the 17mm from the center' to loosen it? Clockwise or Counter-clockwise?

Not 100% sure because I did it like two months ago, but I'm very confident it will loosen CCW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to loosen rotor bolt? RH or LH threads?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.