Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Different forks/front brakes for Savage / RYCA (Read 365 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Different forks/front brakes for Savage / RYCA
Reply #15 - 06/19/12 at 22:54:44

pretty sure that was WD.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 06/20/12 at 06:02:57

teabowl13 wrote on 06/19/12 at 22:36:28:
Somebody, (and I mean somebody wicked smart, like Verslagen or Lancer...) just posted something about those old drum brake outfits being compatible somehow with the Savage.
That would certainly look the part on my pseudo-vintage roadster thing-a-ma-jig, but right now I just want to get her in my hands and on the road.

I'd love to know more about that idea; more specifics, and has antone ACTUALLY done it? Or is it all just conjecture?

They weren't very good brakes, actually, but the cool factor is high.  The visual impact is there because they have such a big lump of cast aluminum parts out there for all to see.  Disc brakes used to have quite a wow factor,.. but they are so common now,... not very exciting, visually, eh?

Back in the 70s I owned a T500 Titan with a drum front brake (2LS) and all it did was give trend information to the front wheel.  I test drove the 550 and 750 triples several times with 4LS front brakes, and they felt a lot stronger, about as good as a stock Savage single disc brake.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/20/12 at 07:10:41

Yeah, I think that for cool factor, those old drums are sweet looking, but I've hated every front drum bike I've ever ridden. I'm sure there are ways to upgrade; ventilate them and get modern shoes for them etc., but for me it's still not worth all the hassle just for a photo op.

Besides, my new front brake looks pretty sweet since VERSLAGEN drilled it for me!! And the whole bike is now VASTLY lighter weight and goes a thousand miles an hour!!

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #18 - 06/20/12 at 07:53:54

My opinion is that if you do a massive front end conversion or even an improved front brake setup on the Savage/RYCA, you will be doing it for fun and looks (which is fine of course) only.  However, the limitations of this machine are the frame.  I just finished my RYCA and the front brake is plenty adequate for my 165 lb mug on a bike that was lightened approximately 50 lbs.  To get high performance, you need to start with  a high performance base, and the Savage is not it.  You may sink a ton of money/time into something that makes the whole bike shimmy when you mash on stoppers that are 10x as powerful as the stock ones.  Just some thoughts before you commit, undoubtedly you will already spend a lot more on the bike than the kit cost (I did) just monkeying around.  I talked to the RYCA guys and they even said that the uprated springs they have make it rather stiff and bumpy and are overkill unless you're a big guy.  Good luck if you do, let us know how it rides.  p.s. if you upgrade the front brakes a lot, you need top quality rubber on it too, all stuff to ponder...  -Dave

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #19 - 06/20/12 at 10:56:38

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 06/20/12 at 07:53:54:
My opinion is that if you do a massive front end conversion or even an improved front brake setup on the Savage/RYCA, you will be doing it for fun and looks (which is fine of course) only.  However, the limitations of this machine are the frame.  I just finished my RYCA and the front brake is plenty adequate for my 165 lb mug on a bike that was lightened approximately 50 lbs.  To get high performance, you need to start with  a high performance base, and the Savage is not it.  You may sink a ton of money/time into something that makes the whole bike shimmy when you mash on stoppers that are 10x as powerful as the stock ones.  Just some thoughts before you commit, undoubtedly you will already spend a lot more on the bike than the kit cost (I did) just monkeying around.  I talked to the RYCA guys and they even said that the uprated springs they have make it rather stiff and bumpy and are overkill unless you're a big guy.  Good luck if you do, let us know how it rides.  p.s. if you upgrade the front brakes a lot, you need top quality rubber on it too, all stuff to ponder...  -Dave

All in all, I would agree. You should not expect sportbike performance from a sportbike front end on the savage as it relies on the entire bike to function as a system. Will it improve front end suspension and braking? almost definitely, unless you somehow find forks less advanced then ours or buy forks from a pitbike or something. Will it improve front end suspension and braking to the point of being comparable to a sportbike? no.

my two big reasons for swapping the front end on my XS (and i'd do the same for the savage should i need to) was that it had pitted forks and solid rotor (not drilled) brakes that would fade into uselessness at the sight of rain. new forks would be ~$200 easy and drilled rotors would be anywhere from $40 for ebay parts or $80 new/drilled existing.

Also keep in mind that aside from musing about it or doing research, a front end swap is really quick. maybe two hours. undo the top triple clamp, take off the controls, slide the new front end in, put the controls on that. IF you've planned well. my swap has taken three months (and still going!) because of other projects interfering with time and I needed to sand/paint parts. that and the XS has a triple tree mounted instrument cluster which takes some finagling (technical term) to mount.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 06/20/12 at 20:50:19

I had the TLS GT drum on mine for quite awhile. Looks great, stopped fine. BUT, and it is a BIG but, the stock rotor on mine has been a POS since day one. Wipes out brake pads (even EBCs) quick fast and in a hurry. Was tempered too hard according to the factory race mechanic at the dealership I bought it from. I tend to trust 20+ years of factory sponsored race experience.

IF you are going to swap to a drum... it's a pain in the a$$. Relocating the guts of the right bar switch. Adding an HD aftermarket throttle boss (think Panhead or Knucklehead era, 1936-64). Swapping your levers out for 1" Triumph or HD front drum units (have to swap clutch side too for looks). Finding a good reliner, since modern brake shoes are aluminum backed and you really want steel backs... and modern compounds suck, good luck finding some NOS asbestos linings (I have a source, kinda).

I swapped back to my stock front wheel. The GT drum is going on a vintage bike, a 1963 Honda that came with a TLS but at some point had a SLS swapped to the front (and TLS to replace the stock rear SLS). So I'll have TLS on both ends.

Next up on the list for my Savage? Early HD springer unit with a TLS or even a spool front wheel (no brake). Maybe an Earle's style front end (old BMW). I hate telescopic front ends.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:17:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different forks/front brakes for Savage / RYCA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.