Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
saved by the book....well kinda (Read 157 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
saved by the book....well kinda
06/18/12 at 12:01:27

after reading Proficient Motorcycling, i have been practicing some "panic stops" according to the advice given in the book.

today i was headed back to work from lunch. the commercial mowing team was cutting the grass on the road in front of our Walmart, and throwing the grass ONTO the highway.

a lady decided she needed something in walmart ( i guess) and crossed two lanes to get there........great.......super quick stop AND grass on the road.

i got it done.......but there are some pinch marks on my seat.  practicing with both front and back on a "panic" stop surely helped....bike only wiggled a little.

could have been a bad deal for this fat boy otherwise.

safe ridin.  needless to say, i recommend the book to any and all.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: saved by the book....well kinda
Reply #1 - 06/18/12 at 13:08:56

Good job with the binders!

I wonder how many road riders out there really understand the front brake?  I have been blessed to have motocross, hare scramble and trials experience before I became a road rider.  The front brake is a very important tool when riding off road, down steep hills, across wet leaves, or when trying to outbrake a competitor.  Over time you learn how to apply the front brake to fit the situation.

Last week I was riding and a neighbors young puppy ran out in front of me, and I had to use the brakes for all they were worth and got stopped and neither the dog or I were hurt.  I was thankful that hard braking is just something that is now second nature to me........and it is certainly something you should carefully practice if the front brake is intimidating to you.  The front and rear brake are a team - and you must be comfortable with using them efficiently without having to think about it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #2 - 06/18/12 at 13:34:19

when i first got back on the bike, an old friend of mine said "stay off that front brake, nothing but trouble there!!!"

glad i read the book. that front brake has helped me more than anything else.

you make great points.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 06/18/12 at 13:37:19

Panic stops were part of my motorcycle training course.  Definitely something necessary to know how to do properly, and practice often, so when you do really need it, the instinct is there.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 06/18/12 at 13:42:06

My $0.02 here,  if your gonna practice them and I suggest you do,  Find different surfaces to practice on so you can see what it feels like and get used to the different traction conditions.  Learn what your bike is telling you right before you have a lockup on either wheel.  Foremost though remember if you do lockup the front wheel release the brake as quick as possible.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 06/18/12 at 15:15:29

bess227 wrote on 06/18/12 at 13:34:19:
when i first got back on the bike, an old friend of mine said "stay off that front brake, nothing but trouble there!!!"

glad i read the book. that front brake has helped me more than anything else.

you make great points.

Wow.. I never heard such... I use the front all the time! Bike tires arent big enough to use just one!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 06/18/12 at 17:10:57

Readin' it now.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 18:12:12

rfw2003 wrote on 06/18/12 at 13:42:06:
My $0.02 here,  if your gonna practice them and I suggest you do,  Find different surfaces to practice on so you can see what it feels like and get used to the different traction conditions.  Learn what your bike is telling you right before you have a lockup on either wheel.  Foremost though remember if you do lockup the front wheel release the brake as quick as possible.

R.F.

This is so true, but may be counter intuitive for a novice rider.   In other words, if the front wheel locks and you panic, your brain will tell you to keep trying to slow down before you hit the ground.   It can be hard to let go of that brake as you see an event unfold before you, even tho it might be to your benefit to do so.  One more thing, I wouldn't suggest using a bike you care about to practice front braking on different surfaces.

The front brake is most of your stopping power because of the weight shift during braking.   This is true on bikes and cars, but be aware that pavement, dirt, gravel, snow, etc. have completely different traction characteristics.  Even turning can effect how much braking you actually have.  My beemer has ABS so you can't lock them up under any circumstances, but under certain situations, I turn it off when I need to push the braking further than the ABS will allow.   I think most old timers understand front brakes pretty well, but novices need to be conscious of their riding environment at all times.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 06/18/12 at 20:17:43

babyhog wrote on 06/18/12 at 13:37:19:
Panic stops were part of my motorcycle training course.  Definitely something necessary to know how to do properly, and practice often, so when you do really need it, the instinct is there.

Yep! That was the hardest thing for this old-school rider to learn at the MSF Rider Course. I was taught back in the dark ages to lay off the front brake...heck,most of the bikes we built and rode never had front brakes cause all the "experts" would tell you the front brake kills more riders than anything else!

The Rider Coaches had a dickens of a time but they got me using that front brake like a pro! And believe me,I've used the panic stop a couple of times and it works.....it works really good!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 06/18/12 at 20:33:04

"after reading Proficient Motorcycling,"

"Proficient Motorcycling", and Vol. 2 "More proficient Motorcycling" Are the best two volumes EVER written on the subject of motorcycling. These books at the very least will teach you to ride like a pro...And at the very most they will save your life.

My advice? Don't even ride down your own driveway without reading these books. I rode for 41 years before these books came out, and I learned more from them than I knew from 41 years of riding.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 06/19/12 at 09:22:51

+1

(i'll have to look for vol. 2 - didn't know about that one0

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #11 - 06/19/12 at 09:52:04

Star,

You are the reason I bought it. Mine is the second version of the first one I think.

Either way it has been priceless in what I have learned from it.

Thanks for the advice on picking it up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:24:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › saved by the book....well kinda

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.