Send Topic Print
Front pulley change (Read 160 times)
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Front pulley change
06/18/12 at 01:26:26

I've read the posts on changing the front pulley to a kawasaki ltd 454 one but the tread only explains how to do it. just wanted to know any updates on how it went in the long term? Any problems ?
MMRanch - did you keep this mod and what do you think?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Front pulley change
Reply #1 - 07/03/12 at 10:54:27

I just rode with MMRanch last weekend for several days.  He told me he likes the conversion and he usually put in .9 gallons when I was putting in 1.2 at fuel fillups.....could be the gearing, carb jets or riding style.  His countershaft nut did come loose and he had to tighten it the last day.  I am probably going to try this conversion.....just not sure if I am going to buy a $ 50 used sprocket or an $ 88 new one.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/03/12 at 11:02:55

I tried it,.. and found the gearing 1 through 4 to be too wide... 5th was excellent...
Also,.. couldn't get the belt quiet... (annoying)...
So,. I have gone back to stock...

What I really want is a taller 5th... (dream on, Bot)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #3 - 07/03/12 at 11:58:58

I'll give you $5 for your discarded sprocket.  Wink

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/03/12 at 19:22:20

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/12 at 11:02:55:
I tried it,.. and found the gearing 1 through 4 to be too wide... 5th was excellent...

Serowbot, I don't drink, but I think a taller fifth is called a magnum? Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/03/12 at 20:06:02

Cool!... What I really want is,.. a Magnum... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/03/12 at 23:37:35

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/12 at 11:02:55:

Well,, you rode it, I didnt, But, my absolute lack of experience will NOT inhibit my ability to form an Oooopinion,,  Cheesy

Anyway, like I said, no experience with it, you do, humor me, okay?
I can understand how it would be harder to launch & it would seem to me shift points would have to be at a higher speed ( naturally) but, with the gearing being against the engine more now, higher, not just enough to get the same RPM at shift points, but Id think a couple hundred RPM over the calculated "new" shift point to get the same RPM as we have at the recommended shift points.
Stock gearing ,, first gear is a little fast in the parking lot sometimes,
What %age change did that other one give ya Row?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 07/04/12 at 08:40:03

Yeah first gear IS a little long, but is fine. The whole thing boils down to that actually only 5th gear is too short. I wish there was a way to swap gear pairs for 5th only internally.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/04/12 at 09:05:58

Yea, It'd be fine with me if 5th was higher, & Id easily live with the bottom 4. So what if 5th would pull a headwind of 25 MOH or climb anything steep w/o dropping to 4th? The RPM drop is almost nothing now,
A rider could work around the fact that 5th is a little taller than the HP of the engine can use in some instances, the thing would stroll on down the road at a much lower RPM at 70. If I was doin it, Id gear it up so that it wouldnt be really "happy" in 5th, by that I mean, if you put it in 5th & try to accelerate, it wouldnt much want to, below 55. As is, theyll pull in 5th at 40.
Im thinking an engineer could figure it out easily enough, have to figure the drag, about like a 10 speed or pickup, & HP & look at the RPM/Torque/HP stuff & work up a gear ratio for it, Ahhh, but,, its all a pipe dream unless ya wanted to have some gears built,, & Boy thats not a place for trial & error games,even if they were free. Just swapping them would be a tuff deal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/04/12 at 09:23:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/12 at 23:37:35:
... it would seem to me shift points would have to be at a higher speed ( naturally) but, with the gearing being against the engine more now, higher, not just enough to get the same RPM at shift points, but Id think a couple hundred RPM over the calculated "new" shift point to get the same RPM as we have at the recommended shift points.

If you are a cruiser, I think it might not be objectionable...
... but, I like the twisties... and having the option of choosing a torque gear or an easy gear at any speed... in any corner...
The closer ratio is better for that...
With the bigger pulley,... shifts felt more necessary, and less an option...
I'm much quicker with the stock ratio, than the wider one..
Since I don't like riding for long over 65mph anyway... it's just not worth the trade...
I've always geared bikes up a couple of cogs in the past,.. but, they were mostly dirt oriented and had short ratio's...
For me,  bike just don't need it... it needs a taller 5th... that's all...
A personal preference for my riding style... Wink...

I hate the interstate, even in a car... boring...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/04/12 at 09:47:13

For optimum mpg at cruise, you want the rpm at max torque, right around 4k rpm

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 07/04/12 at 10:24:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/04/12 at 09:05:58:
Yea, It'd be fine with me if 5th was higher, & Id easily live with the bottom 4. So what if 5th would pull a headwind of 25 MOH or climb anything steep w/o dropping to 4th? The RPM drop is almost nothing now,
A rider could work around the fact that 5th is a little taller than the HP of the engine can use in some instances, the thing would stroll on down the road at a much lower RPM at 70. If I was doin it, Id gear it up so that it wouldnt be really "happy" in 5th, by that I mean, if you put it in 5th & try to accelerate, it wouldnt much want to, below 55. As is, theyll pull in 5th at 40.
Im thinking an engineer could figure it out easily enough, have to figure the drag, about like a 10 speed or pickup, & HP & look at the RPM/Torque/HP stuff & work up a gear ratio for it, Ahhh, but,, its all a pipe dream unless ya wanted to have some gears built,, & Boy thats not a place for trial & error games,even if they were free. Just swapping them would be a tuff deal.

Exactly my thinking. I wish I still had a shop with equipment and space and a spare tranny to tinker with. I wonder if you could take a gear pair from 1st gear or so and replace it in reverse order for 5th. I don't know all the gear pair/teeth combos and I don't know if all the gears are symmetric and the shaft hole is the same. Also it is a matter of space, meaning if the different gearing would interfere with any surroundings.
But wouldn't that be a cool project?  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/04/12 at 11:41:24

Serowbot wrote on 07/04/12 at 09:23:36:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/12 at 23:37:35:
... it would seem to me shift points would have to be at a higher speed ( naturally) but, with the gearing being against the engine more now, higher, not just enough to get the same RPM at shift points, but Id think a couple hundred RPM over the calculated "new" shift point to get the same RPM as we have at the recommended shift points.

If you are a cruiser, I think it might not be objectionable...
... but, I like the twisties... and having the option of choosing a torque gear or an easy gear at any speed... in any corner...
The closer ratio is better for that...
With the bigger pulley,... shifts felt more necessary, and less an option...
I'm much quicker with the stock ratio, than the wider one..
Since I don't like riding for long over 65mph anyway... it's just not worth the trade...
I've always geared bikes up a couple of cogs in the past,.. but, they were mostly dirt oriented and had short ratio's...
For me,  bike just don't need it... it needs a taller 5th... that's all...
A personal preference for my riding style... Wink...

I hate the interstate, even in a car... boring...

Okay,.,I get it now,,& yea, I think Id have to agree. It needs the first 4 where they are, but maaaan,, I think they messed UP on the 5th gear thing,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:17:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.