Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Those who wave and those who don't... (Read 438 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Those who wave and those who don't...
Reply #15 - 06/18/12 at 20:19:24

Here in the South, they mostly wave, but I have to say sometimes on the 4 lane I don't always catch them till it's too late for me to wave. Could be the same with them...just not seeing 'cause of traffic, etc.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #16 - 06/19/12 at 02:57:41

For safety reasons...

I "wave" with one finger (index finger)
while keeping my hand on the bars/clutch,
it's better that way.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #17 - 06/19/12 at 10:00:25

may sound corny........but if they got their "knees in the breeze" i figure they are dodging the same cages and dealing with the same stuff i am.  i wave as kind of my own "be safe brother" blessing of sorts.

i don't think any of us want to see someone take a lick at an intersection from a teen blonde with a cell phone addiction or high side one in a turn.....even a lowly squid.  Wink

if they wave back that's fine......if not......i still am wishing them a safe ride.....all of them.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #18 - 06/19/12 at 11:48:44

Well since I have been riding the Vino scooter around, I can tell you the scooters are not considered motorcycles.  There is no wave club, even among fellow scooterers, it is just a means of transport.  Scooter folks are no more likely to wave to other scooters than people in cars are likely to wave at other cars.  Motorcyclists have picked up on this and by-and-large do not wave at scooters either.

The DR650 gets tons more waves from other motorcyclists, Harley riders included, than the scooter.

Also, I never take it personally if a person does not return a wave.. since I often don't either, being preoccupied with paying attention to traffic or, bad time to let go of the handgrip (a safety thing) .

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 06/19/12 at 13:16:55

Speaking of waving in cars, around here, people in Jeep Wranglers often wave at each other.  I have a Liberty now, and don't get the waves, but always did in either of my Wranglers.  Is that local or has anyone else experienced that?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #20 - 06/19/12 at 17:03:02

babyhog wrote on 06/19/12 at 13:16:55:
Speaking of waving in cars, around here, people in Jeep Wranglers often wave at each other.  I have a Liberty now, and don't get the waves, but always did in either of my Wranglers.  Is that local or has anyone else experienced that?

I was a member of the Jeep waving club as well. It is not just a local thing. I would wave to Libertys but they did the scooterer response. If they waved first we always waved back. There was an unofficial rule that stated the less off road capable jeep had to wave first.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #21 - 06/20/12 at 18:16:02

Starlifter wrote on 06/18/12 at 20:12:19:
I have always waved at anything on two or three wheels. About 90% wave back.

This riding season in Michigan (our stupid Republican governor) repealed the mandatory helmet law....now  4 out of 5 riders still wear helmets, the ones who don't, do not get a wave. (It's a matter of principle.)

Just wait a while and the no helmet riders will diminish via the natural selection process.    However, you're right about your govenator, but that's another topic...

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #22 - 06/20/12 at 18:58:57

Yes, well...the very few no helmet folks have been waving at me, and I will certainly wave back at anyone. I guess I'll just have to figure out another way to educate / scorn these no helmet people.

« Last Edit: 06/21/12 at 18:18:13 by Starlifter »  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #23 - 06/21/12 at 08:18:31

Now hang on a minute folks!!!! Let's not turn this into a nasty by dragging the helmet/no helmet discussion into the thread. I don't question any ones decision to wear or not( I do sometimes and don't sometimes) but I'm a firm believer it's no ones business but the individual rider. To snub another rider because they don't have a helmet on is the same as snubbing a rider because they are on a Beemer/sportbike/Harley/bobber....just pick one.

Just for the record...I started fighting for bikers rights way back in 1978 and was one of the early members of ABATE of Indiana. That was also when we started working for Rider Education laws and the MSF was developing their courses.

Back to normal programming  Smiley I wave at all riders when I can. Sometimes in traffic/at shift points etc I at least nod.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #24 - 06/21/12 at 08:25:46

ZAR wrote on 06/21/12 at 08:18:31:
I don't question any ones decision to wear or not( I do sometimes and don't sometimes) but I'm a firm believer it's no ones business but the individual rider. To snub another rider because they don't have a helmet on is the same as snubbing a rider because they are on a Beemer/sportbike/Harley/bobber....just pick one.

You got that right!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 06/21/12 at 08:40:53

About a year ago...

I waved at a dude on a MX bike in my buddies neighbourhood... As he went by he waved back, and I noticed he wasn't wearing... anything...
When me and my buddy pulled up at the stop sign, my buddy flipped up his faceshield and said,...
"Was that guy,....???"....
I said,.. "yes,.. I think so"...
"Did you wave?"...
"Yes,... I did"...
"Did he wave back?"...
"Uh,..huh"...
"Okay,.... just checkin'"...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #26 - 06/21/12 at 08:45:16

Serowbot wrote on 06/21/12 at 08:40:53:
About a year ago...

I waved at a dude on a MX bike in my buddies neighbourhood... As he went by he waved back, and I noticed he wasn't wearing... anything...
When me and my buddy pulled up at the stop sign, my buddy flipped up his faceshield and said,...
"Was that guy,....???"....
I said,.. "yes,.. I think so"...
"Did you wave?"...
"Yes,... I did"...
"Did he wave back?"...
"Uh,..huh"...
"Okay,.... just checkin'"...
Huh...

Good Grief Sero  Shocked !!!!!!!!!  Did you go back to double check  Grin ?????

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 06/21/12 at 09:12:45

Sometimes I'll wave back, usually I don't. Depends on my mood, how cute the girl on the pillion is (the other bike's pillion, I don't carry passengers on a Savage), whether or not I like the bike they are on... Heck, even the bacon bits (motorcycle cops) wave here.

Over done to the point of nauseating.

Was the same way with Jeep. I had a CJ5, got lots of waves from other CJ owners but completely ignored by the drivers of less capable TJ , YJ and XJ rigs. Until they started building their rigs, suddenly I was cool enough to wave at... I guess.

Wave, don't wave, whatever.

With my current set ups, waving is inherently dangerous... high bars on one bike, track bars on the other. Got better things to worry about (like getting up on the curb when Ditzarella in her Plastang yammering on her cell phone decides to use me for target practice)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #28 - 06/21/12 at 09:49:34

babyhog wrote on 06/19/12 at 13:16:55:

so this wave deal could be applied to any transport vehicle - i wonder in the Ferrari peeps in Italy wave at each other and snub the Mercedes drivers while the Mercedes peeps in Germany wave to each other and dis the BMW & Ferrari drivers....hummm something to ponder for sure.....I drop 2 on every 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle that i see provided i am not in the middle of clutching or heavy traffic - i dropped 2 on a dude this morning as i was in the middle of the right turn off the main road on to the side street my workplace is on.....kind of caught him off guard i think. Scooter-Doofi seldom drop 2 they do the "Hee Haw-High 5".

I actually forget sometimes when i am in the car and drop 2 out the car window when a bike passes me - talk about confused looks!

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #29 - 06/21/12 at 10:18:23

I used to be all about waving, now i can take it or leave it. It used to be about respect for fellow riders, now its about being cool. The guys I see commuting everyday with a backpack and safety gear on I'll wave back at out of respect. The guys who dress up like pirates to take their Harleys out on weekends I don't make a point to wave to. It all depends on my mood. And big custom choppers, spending $50k on a garage queen does not make you my friend. I have definitely had Harley guys withdrawl the wave once they got close enough to see that one of my cylinders fell off. I have a cafed Honda Goldwing with clip-ons too. I get more sport bike waves and much less Harley waves on that.
Idiots on Hybusas that just want the attention I ignore.

The wave differs too. I just give a little flick off the end on my bars Weekenders will usually throw their whole arm down like they're pulling a gun on you.

I have an e30 BMW beater and have gotten a wave or nod from other e30 owners.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Those who wave and those who don't...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.