zero compression (Read 1029 times)
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
zero compression
06/17/12 at 11:26:27

So...coming home from work yesterday. I'm cruising along at 75 and the bike cuts out for a moment (like a petcock issue). It dropped to 65 and held speed. I was right at my exit. At the stop sign I put in first and started to go and it died. Wouldn't restart.

After checking this and that I got to the compression test. zero zip nada nothing. S&%T! I poured a little oil in and that got it up to 30psi.

Any idea how bad this can be. Maybe lucky and just rings? New piston and cylinder is what I'm guessing. Maybe time for a larger bore  Wink

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: zero compression
Reply #1 - 06/17/12 at 11:37:39

Okay, its an 04, how many miles? Recent work? Anything due to be done that you shoulda done?
Make sure the decomp isnt stuck.

How much oil went in to jack the compression to 30 PSI?

If you have access to an air hose, wrap tape or whatever around the end of a blower & pull the oil fill plug, blow into spark plug hole & see if its blowing out there. Set motor at TDC compression first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #2 - 06/17/12 at 11:57:39

She's got about 16.5K miles. Oil may have been low. Looked at the cam chain tensioner andit still looks good.

Decomp unplugged for test. and maybe a couple tablespoons of oil.

Going out now to put some air to her.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 12:19:58

Ive never seen it happen, but in a No Compression moment, Id have to physically, manually, be certain the decomp isnt hung up. Go to the head & look at the spring that returns it & make sure its pushed as far in the direction the spring is ppushing it as possible. Vertical is where it goes IIRC.
Then its time for compressed air in the cylinder to see if it blows out the oil fill hole,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #4 - 06/17/12 at 12:29:34

wanted to make sure of TDC. Pulled out timing cover. put air to it. nothing from intake or exhaust. I got a nice breeze blowing on me from the timing cover cap hole (or whatever you'd like to call it.)

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/17/12 at 12:57:56

It'd be easier to pressure up on the oil fill hole. I wouldnt be that excited about trying that hard to create pressure in the case, tho, Id rather see it in the cylinder,
So far, Im not gettin it..
One thing, gotta put it in gear at TDC or the pressure in the cylinder will push the piston down. Mite even shove it off the kickstand. Be CAREful, Mite be time to enlist a friend.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 06/17/12 at 13:11:14

Make sure you open your throttle when testing, otherwise your intake is closed.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #7 - 06/17/12 at 13:26:03

To be clear. Here's what I did. Engine at TDC. Screwed in adapter into spark plug hole. Attached shop air line to adapter. Adjusted regulator on compressor to about 30 pounds. Air blows to crank case not exhaust port or intake.
Also...header is already off, and throttle was open.

I guess I'm gonna have to start tearing into it some more.  Angry

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/17/12 at 13:47:27

Eaux Neaux.. Yep,, youve got what is called "communication" between the cylinder & the engine case. Twisting the throttle wont open the slide w/o vacuum from the engine running.
Id drain the oil into a clean pan & see what ya find, but the answer is already known, whether or not theres anything in the oil. Id bet theres junk there, tho.
At this point, IDK if your best move is pull the engine or do it in frame, I expect youll be pulling the jug to get to the piston & thats not gonna be fun with a bike on the floor, but neither is pulling & reinstalling an engine,

This may be the time to get the bore coated & a fatter slug & a meaner cam,,
& , figuring out WHY it cratered is important.

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #9 - 06/17/12 at 14:01:08

I am thinking about the 95mm. I may stick with stock cam though. trying to get good mileage. Wink Although.... those guys with the big v-twins at work would be surprised by the power. Smiley Smiley

Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget. If I could get by with just rings I would. Not like that'll happen.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/17/12 at 14:22:03

One thing is certain, youre going in & youre an odds on favorite for a fatter slug. YOu can do a cam later. The mechanical realities may not be aware of your budgetary constraints. I hope the problem is solvable inside your abilities to handle them.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/17/12 at 16:19:33

360k+ wrote on 06/17/12 at 13:11:14:
Make sure you open your throttle when testing, otherwise your intake is closed.

Oops, my bad.   I didn't read thoroughly, and was assuming a standard compression test with a gauge.   It sounded like the classic "I didn't know I was supposed to open the throttle" test results.    Undecided   Yep, and on a slider carb, you need a way to hold it open.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/17/12 at 16:30:45

Walk away & look ashamed, go stand in the corner, YOure on REport, Mister! Get your toothbrush & report to the latrine,,  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/17/12 at 18:34:16

might have a burnt piston.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/17/12 at 20:36:11

Sure sounds like it.,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › zero compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.