zero compression (Read 1029 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: zero compression
Reply #60 - 11/07/12 at 20:49:27

SALB wrote on 11/07/12 at 10:01:53:
I asked the service tech when he was installing new card readers at the station next door to work.  He said that from the switching valve in the bottom, to the top of the pump, and back down the hose was about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons.  Also, there is no such thing as mid grade going old, as it is half low grade and half high grade, mixed 50/50.

Switching valve at the bottom of what?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #61 - 11/07/12 at 21:09:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/07/12 at 20:49:27:
I asked the service tech when he was installing new card readers at the station next door to work.  He said that from the switching valve in the bottom, to the top of the pump, and back down the hose was about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons.  Also, there is no such thing as mid grade going old, as it is half low grade and half high grade, mixed 50/50.

Switching valve at the bottom of what?

The switching valve sits in the bottom of the pump with the filters, and switches between low grade, high grade, or a 50/50 mix for mid grade. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #62 - 11/07/12 at 21:28:21

That would be where the manifold I was talking about would be,
I sure dont remember any switching valves, but that was,, crap,, how many years? Its been about 14 years, pump designs change,,I hated working on those things..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #63 - 11/08/12 at 04:33:12

There is too such a thing as mid-grade going old.  Some stations still have midgrade tanks.  The fuel trucks fill them with 50/50.

Even with stations that only have regular and premium tanks, if the pump has not pumped midgrade in a few weeks or months, you are still getting stale gas that is in the midgrade line and might have had some condensation added to it.

Also, as I brought up before, this is a silly discussion because there is never any reason for any Savage riders to use mid-grade, even if, for the sake of discussion, it was always as fresh as the other grades.  We either use regular for a stock bike, or, for a modded bike with a hot cam or "adjusted" ignition or higher compression, premium.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #64 - 11/08/12 at 05:35:00

Actually the law says the mix can be as bad as 65/35 reg/prem so you're not really getting a proper mix. Mid grade is a total rip off.

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #65 - 11/08/12 at 05:46:45

Serowbot wrote on 11/07/12 at 09:46:26:
I was always taught,.. smoke when running is rings,.. smoke upon start-up is valve stem seals...

Me too. Smokes all the time. I took it out last night for 20 minutes and still not much improvement.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #66 - 11/09/12 at 08:06:07

Tom K wrote on 11/08/12 at 05:46:45:
I was always taught,.. smoke when running is rings,.. smoke upon start-up is valve stem seals...

Me too. Smokes all the time. I took it out last night for 20 minutes and still not much improvement.

Did you get the assembly lube all burnt off ?
Is it definitely oil ? or you running rich ?
Cool.
srinath.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #67 - 11/09/12 at 08:54:14

srinath wrote on 11/09/12 at 08:06:07:

Cool.
srinath.

Mine is doing something more weird than that, and that since years. When temps get lower in winter, when starting cold I always let it run for a minute. No smoke at startup, but then after half a minute of running it starts blueish whitish smoke for another 10 seconds then quits smoking. It only does it in winter, never in summer, and oil consumption is negligible.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #68 - 11/09/12 at 09:04:42

ralfyguy wrote on 11/09/12 at 08:54:14:
Mine is doing something more weird than that, and that since years. When temps get lower in winter, when starting cold I always let it run for a minute. No smoke at startup, but then after half a minute of running it starts blueish whitish smoke for another 10 seconds then quits smoking. It only does it in winter, never in summer, and oil consumption is negligible.

No worries there, Ralfy boy...
That,... is water vapor,... condensation in your pipe... Wink...
Happens to all vehicles in winter...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #69 - 11/09/12 at 09:35:10

If youre behind someone who hasnt been on the road long enough to get it warmed up good, you can see water dripping out the exhaust,

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #70 - 11/09/12 at 10:10:44

ralfyguy wrote on 11/09/12 at 08:54:14:

Cool.
srinath.

Maybe ... maybe not that water vapor thing serowbot said.

This is a litte more serious scenario.

Valves when cold have a clearance lets say 1 thou. After the motor fully comes up to temperature, that will increase usually but by a very small amount, say 1.25 thou.

However the components all do not heat up @ the same rate.

The parts that get the hottest fastest are the exhaust valves, cos the exhaust is streaming past its stem. Since that is 1 heat path and the other path is the head which typically get to temp the slowest, you can easily have a valve staying open as the heat builds ... usually may not be an issue ... but worth checking your clearance, and if you're tending close to the limit on the exhaust, go ahead and set it toward the high end of the spec and you could see this go away.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #71 - 11/10/12 at 05:53:04

Cool.
srinath.

Definitely oil. About 40 miles on it now.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › zero compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.