ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: zero compression
Reply #45 - 11/05/12 at 20:09:32

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/05/12 at 09:42:06:
Tom, what sort of petcock do you have on the bike?  

If that was a Rotella T piston you got you something else going on too .....

See, I'll jest keep on askin' and askin' and askin'

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #46 - 11/05/12 at 20:39:35

Grin  Grin Oops. I wasn't ignoring the question. I still have the stock one. I've been running on prime til I can get the Raptor petcock.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #47 - 11/06/12 at 05:32:49

Still trying to figure out my smoke issue. Lots of blue/oil smoke. On initial ride it didn't smoke at all. After about an 18 mile ride to work, then sitting all day it smoked like crazy on start up.

I'm thinking I'll have to tear it down again and make sure I didn't tweak the oil rings.

Any other ideas before I do that?

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #48 - 11/06/12 at 05:54:56

Run it gently 10-20 min at a time till it starts to get lighter and lighter. It will, or should.
Cool.
srinath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #49 - 11/07/12 at 05:09:28

Tom K wrote on 11/05/12 at 05:23:54:
Thanks OF. Rotella T in it now. T6 already planned.

She's running!!!!!!!
Got her all buttoned up yesterday. I put about 8 miles on it, including a stop for some premium fuel for that nice big piston. Runs nice and strong.

Looks like I'll have a good week of riding it to work. Only down to the mid 30's in the morning.

Thanks for the comments, advice and recommendations everyone!!

Why premium gas?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #50 - 11/07/12 at 05:35:17

Well Gyro, I was told going to the 95mm wiseco piston that I'm now up around 10 to 1 compression ratio. Premium was recommended.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #51 - 11/07/12 at 05:53:05

Tom K wrote on 11/07/12 at 05:35:17:
Well Gyro, I was told going to the 95mm wiseco piston that I'm now up around 10 to 1 compression ratio. Premium was recommended.

Ah.  While anything over 87 is wasted on a stock motor, its probably not a bad precaution until you can make certain detonation is not a problem.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 11/07/12 at 06:25:13

Gyrobob wrote on 11/07/12 at 05:53:05:

Ah.  While anything over 87 is wasted on a stock motor, its probably not a bad precaution until you can make certain detonation is not a problem.

Yep.....and if you buy fuel from those pumps that have all 3 blends coming out of the same hose.....you are probably getting 3/4 gallon of regular before the premium fills up the hose and starts running into your tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #53 - 11/07/12 at 07:59:20

Dave wrote on 11/07/12 at 06:25:13:

Yep.....and if you buy fuel from those pumps that have all 3 blends coming out of the same hose.....you are probably getting 3/4 gallon of regular before the premium fills up the hose and starts running into your tank.

Yep.... and don't ever buy mid-grade.  That stuff sells the slowest, so it is always the most stale.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 11/07/12 at 08:28:15

Volume of a cylinder is  Pi X r squared X height

If the manifold at the bottom of the computer ( which is just a flow meter that is attached to sending units that trigger the displays now) is 10 feet from the end of the nozzle, & the ID of the hose & internal plumbing is 3/4" ( which I think is pretty close based on what Im remembering seeing when I was working inside the pumps), then
3.1416 X .375 X .375 = .4417875 square inches ( area of a circle)
times the height of the cylinder, or length of the tube,
so
.4417875 square inches times 120 inches ( inches squared X inches will = inches cubed) = 53 cubic inches.
There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so, youll get about a quart of whatever was pumped last.,depending on these variables, plumbing ID & length of hose. I cant imagine getting more that 3 pints or less than 1.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #55 - 11/07/12 at 09:22:33

Gyrobob wrote on 11/07/12 at 07:59:20:
Dave wrote on 11/07/12 at 06:25:13:

Yep.... and don't ever buy mid-grade.  That stuff sells the slowest, so it is always the most stale.

Mid Grade is just a blend of regular and premium - it is not a third tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #56 - 11/07/12 at 09:46:26

Tom K wrote on 11/06/12 at 05:32:49:
Still trying to figure out my smoke issue. Lots of blue/oil smoke. On initial ride it didn't smoke at all. After about an 18 mile ride to work, then sitting all day it smoked like crazy on start up.

I was always taught,.. smoke when running is rings,.. smoke upon start-up is valve stem seals...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #57 - 11/07/12 at 10:01:53

I asked the service tech when he was installing new card readers at the station next door to work.  He said that from the switching valve in the bottom, to the top of the pump, and back down the hose was about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons.  Also, there is no such thing as mid grade going old, as it is half low grade and half high grade, mixed 50/50.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #58 - 11/07/12 at 10:02:08

Some stations still have mid-grade tanks.  That gas is usually pretty old.

Even if you do purchase midgrade at a station that mixes regular and premium before the pump to dispense mid-grade, at the quantities we use, it might as well be the same thing.  The gas in the mid-grade nozzle, and the lines/pumps leading to it, has probably been sitting there for quite a while.  I seldom put in more than 1.5 gallons in the RYCA, with the iddybiddy tank it has, so if I were to use mid-grade gas, I'd probably have a large portion of it quite stale.

This is kind of a silly discussion, anyway, because there is never any reason for any of us to use mid-grade anyway.  If your vehicle of any sort is not pinging, and the manual says regular is okay, using any gas other than regular is stupid.  Midgrade and/or premium has less energy in it than regular, and has no advantage at all except to the oil companies. Some stations still have mid-grade tanks.  That gas is usually pretty old.

Even if you do purchase midgrade at a station that mixes regular and premium before the pump to dispense mid-grade, at the quantities we use, it might as well be the same thing.  The gas in the mid-grade nozzle, and the lines/pumps leading to it, has probably been sitting there for quite a while.  I seldom put in more than 1.5 gallons in the RYCA, with the iddybiddy tank it has, so if I were to use mid-grade gas, I'd probably have a large portion of it quite stale.

This is kind of a silly discussion, anyway, because there is never any reason for any of us to use mid-grade anyway.  If you vehicle of any sort is not pinging, and the manual says regular is okay, using any gas other than regular is stupid.  Midgrade and/or premium has less energy in it than regular, and has no advantage at all except to the oil companies.

« Last Edit: 11/07/12 at 11:13:38 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 11/07/12 at 10:34:41

Serowbot wrote on 11/07/12 at 09:46:26:
Tom K wrote on 11/06/12 at 05:32:49:

I was always taught,.. smoke when running is rings,.. smoke upon start-up is valve stem seals...

'cept when there are no seals.   Shocked  then is smokes all the time.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › zero compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.