Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: zero compression
Reply #30 - 07/22/12 at 16:48:02

Oil level ??
My brother was here the other day, both bikes setting together on their sidestands,.....my oil level was midway between the lines,........his not a drop showing in the window. I panicked,.... tried to convince him,.....but he's not only a knowitall, he thinks Suzuski is too ! I just told him he will loose !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #31 - 07/22/12 at 18:50:25

I didn't read all the posts, but did see the piston. Be sure your oil pump is working correctly. Spending a lot on your engine and cranking it with no or low oil flo will definitely hurt your feelings.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #32 - 07/22/12 at 19:24:13

Looks like the conrod survived. A little clean up got her in good shape.

I believe the oil was a bit low.

Thanks for the tip on the oil pump. I'll have to check that out.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Bobbing Tom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 07/23/12 at 03:34:55

oK, dumb question, but can someone point out the problem with those pics? I'm guessing the rings are not supposed to be flush with the side of the piston like that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 07/23/12 at 05:03:38

Bobbing Tom wrote on 07/23/12 at 03:34:55:
oK, dumb question, but can someone point out the problem with those pics? I'm guessing the rings are not supposed to be flush with the side of the piston like that.

If you look at one photograph you can see where the aluminum has melted and left a shiny silver gouge at the top of the piston.  The aluminum has melted and flowed/streaked and locked the piston rings into the groove, and they can no longer expand and seal against the cylinder wall.  A good piston would be shiny below the rings - and smooth.

Something like this:

Piston_rings.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #35 - 07/27/12 at 06:46:04

Thanks to a bonus at work Wiseco 95mm piston and a gasket set have been ordered.  Cheesy Smiley

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 07/27/12 at 06:54:21

Those Close INspection of OIl Passageway ideas are smart,

Is there any way to test the oil pump or replace it if its tired? I mean w/o splitting it,,

THe oil pump doesnt get clean oil in,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #37 - 07/28/12 at 06:31:26

jog- not sure. I was going to look around in there. Maybe a little oil and some compressed air.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 07/28/12 at 10:14:09

I think I could set up a test, dam up the sump with Something,,spin the pump with a drill, but, if I had my way, once a motor has seen that kind of failure, Id sure want to see a new pump in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #39 - 10/23/12 at 05:04:36

Small update-

I finally had some extra time. All the internals seem good to go. Got the new 95mm piston, cylinder and head mounted back up. At this rate maybe I can ride it again in the spring.  Smiley

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 10/23/12 at 09:35:23

Once you finish a 1,000 mile break in period, might I suggest using synthetic oil?

Synthetic has one property that can help your engine continue to live in adverse conditions -- it can withstand temperatures that will cook dino oil into black sludge and varnish.

Take another close look at your piston -- this was partially a lubrication failure due to high temps (possibly due to your vac petcock leaning out your mix due to gas starvation at full speed).
Tongue  get rid of your vacsucker

I too recommend the list oil checking method as the Suzuki method leaves you always near to "too little oil" with an engine type that is known to use oil.

Also, for synthetic oils that are known to work well with the Savage engine, Rotella T-6 is the least costly of the approved synthetic oils and is really a very good oil for our bikes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #41 - 11/05/12 at 05:23:54

Thanks OF. Rotella T in it now. T6 already planned.

She's running!!!!!!!
Got her all buttoned up yesterday. I put about 8 miles on it, including a stop for some premium fuel for that nice big piston. Runs nice and strong.

Looks like I'll have a good week of riding it to work. Only down to the mid 30's in the morning.

Thanks for the comments, advice and recommendations everyone!!

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 11/05/12 at 09:42:06

Tom, what sort of petcock do you have on the bike?  

If that was a Rotella T piston you got you something else going on too .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #43 - 11/05/12 at 12:43:58

Tom K wrote on 06/17/12 at 11:26:27:
So...coming home from work yesterday. I'm cruising along at 75 and the bike cuts out for a moment (like a petcock issue). It dropped to 65 and held speed. I was right at my exit. At the stop sign I put in first and started to go and it died. Wouldn't restart.

After checking this and that I got to the compression test. zero zip nada nothing. S&%T! I poured a little oil in and that got it up to 30psi.

Any idea how bad this can be. Maybe lucky and just rings? New piston and cylinder is what I'm guessing. Maybe time for a larger bore  Wink

My crazy 660 skorpion almost did this exact same thing ...
except it ran like a tornado till I came to the traffic light @ my exit, and there it stalled before I even stopped. Its yet to start ... and I plan on looking into it with a borescope.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #44 - 11/05/12 at 19:14:12

O.F. - the Rotella T was a new addition. I had been using whatever oil we had bought for our cars. --I have learned--

New problem.
I know rings have to seat, and I've rebuilt auto engines before. I rode it to work today and when I fired it up after work it smoked like crazy. No smoke this morning that I noticed. I went ahead and rode it home and it runs great!! Less smoke when I got home, but still some.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:20:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › zero compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.