Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
regular gas (Read 210 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

regular gas
06/17/12 at 02:48:22

Here's a website with state by state listings of gas stations selling ethanol free gasoline.  www.pure-gas.org   I realize it's not going to be less expensive but am very interested to see if the added cost is offset by better fuel mileage and improved performance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: regular gas
Reply #1 - 06/17/12 at 04:59:01

In my car I noticed a 10% drop in fuel mileage when the area switched to the ethanol laden fuel.  I would get 400 miles to a tank for years - then suddenly it dropped to 360.  I was not sure why and kept trying tune-up things to make it better.  One day I was at a station outside the area and filled up with fuel....then got 400 miles on that tank.  It turns out I lucked into a station that was outside the Cincinnati area and it had ethanol free fuel.

The site can be useful - but does have some errors.  Sometimes people post on rumors and have not actually tested the fuel for ethanol.  I have posted on the site about the CountryMark stations in Indiana which have the 90+ fuel that is ethanol free.  The nearest station to me is about a 3 hour round trip.......but I take 55 gallon drums and buy enough to make the trip worthwhile.  I use the fuel in my yard equipment and chainsaws and I only need to buy fuel once a year.  The fuel keeps for a couple of years if treated with StaBil and kept in metal containers.  I pump it into plastic fuel jugs about once a month for use in the mowers.

In my Savage I have to use ethanol pump fuel......as I am not near any ethanol free stations when I am out riding.  For winter storage - I put the ethanol free and StaBil treated fuel in the Savage and fill up the tank - and drain the float bowl using the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/17/12 at 05:52:52

OUr only station with real gas just died, I am partly to blame, because they were Full Service & the price was a good bit more than 10% over the self serve ethanol stuff. I could get better MPG with their gas, but not enough to make it economically a smart buy. ON top of that, I just didnt LIKE the young couple who owned the place. Had I actually liked them, I would have been a lot more likely to spend that extra $$$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 08:27:06

I can still buy 100% gas its 10 cents more per gallon and seems to get about 5% better gas mileage on my car.I don't check my bike anymore when I did always a little above 60 miles per gallon,But I really don't hot rod much.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Reply #4 - 06/17/12 at 18:43:43

Here in Australia we are a little less civilized ( or more depending on which way you look at it). Every service station has 3 different grades of fuel, i will work with litres but you get the idea - Standard is 91 RON, this is what the base price is set from,  then @ 4cents per litre cheaper is 91 RON but it must have a minumum of 10% ethanol (average about 20%) mixed in, then you have 95 RON premium which is about 8cents dearer. also some have a fourth which is a 98 RON extra premium.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/17/12 at 22:17:29

So you guys have 91% RON, 95% Ron & even 98% RON,, well,, bully for you,, weve got 100% Ron, so, weve got MO Ron. Yep,, we have 100% MORON,,& its in charge,

Wait,, this was a thread about GAS?

Ooops,, mah bad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 06/17/12 at 23:40:10

Marinas always have ethanol-free gas.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 00:02:28

I use Chevron 94 octane, only thing that doesnt contain up to 10% ethenol and have no idea the difference...  i dont use anything else

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 06/18/12 at 06:01:34

I have access to one gas station that sells only ethenol free gas, all three grades. Since we run stock 8.5 compression I get the regular at about 20 cents over the price of ethenol regular. ( $3.27 last time I filled up).  I just put in my first partial tank of ethenol gas in about two months and its still running pretty, (note this was an ultra low milage bike, some lots of potential for crude in the fuel system).

I just bought and put on the saddle bags this weekend, so I may be starting a mini fuel depot at the house. Ethenol free gas is also better for lawn care equipment, so having  a supply on hand at the house would be nice. ( the gas station is only about 20 minutes from work but about 40 minutes from the house.. so its a pain).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/18/12 at 06:51:28

Cavi Mike wrote on 06/17/12 at 23:40:10:

The guys on the Gulf Coast wish that were true. Their gas in their boats stratifies into layers & wreaks havoc with injectors.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/18/12 at 07:19:17

Cavi Mike wrote on 06/17/12 at 23:40:10:

I have checked all the local marinas.  PureGas used to list several that had ethanol free fuel - but when I called them they said it was not true and there was ethanol in their fuel.  There is supposed to be one Marina here that has switched back to ethanol free fuel at the request of the boat owners at the marina - but  I have not yet gotten their to see if it is true.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/18/12 at 07:20:47

renegade1 wrote on 06/18/12 at 00:02:28:
I use Chevron 94 octane, only thing that doesnt contain up to 10% ethenol and have no idea the difference...  i dont use anything else

Does your state require posting?  How do you know it does not contain ethanol? Unfortunately our state does not require posting and the only way to know for sure - is to test it.  I have checked out several leads at local stations and found them just to be rumors - when tested the fuel had ethanol in it.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #12 - 06/18/12 at 08:30:30

I live in Canada, and it has postings right on the pump. My suggestion would be to call the stations supplier and ask them directly.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/18/12 at 09:55:49

look it up on the internet put %100 pure gas in your state that how I found it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 06/18/12 at 20:15:13

I don't know what the deal is, but since last summer I have had 4 non ethanol stations either built or changed over here in NE MS. I fill my mower cans regularly and use it in my bike when I am close.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:31:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › regular gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.