T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Re: My 1997 LS400
Reply #16 - 06/24/12 at 16:14:52

Drifter wrote on 06/24/12 at 06:19:50:
Are the pullies and belt the same size on this bike compared to the 650?

The pulley size could be the same size... but I have a chain... not a belt. So my guess is probably not.

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #17 - 07/03/12 at 05:49:24

Little update.. ordered some tires from AmericanMotoTire.com (AMT)... talked to a guy named Vaughn. Awesome customer service and shipping is cheap. If you are in the states.. it's free.

-Anyway... ordered some Pirelli MT66's... I'll post some pics once I get em put on in the next couple days.

-Adjusted the seat mod up a bit more to almost 2 inches

-Went to the hardware store and bought some brackets and made myself a left front footpeg since mine was gone and ebay doesn't have any.

-Also, went to NewEnough.com or MotorcycleGear.com now and got a new TourMaster Flex Series 2.0 jacket for $76 (normally $225). Also got a pair of cheap Frogg Togg rain pants. It rains a LOT here.. so it's essential here.

That's all for now.. will post up pics soon. Might be digging in the to motor soon and doing the Verslavy mod.. and maybe getting some forward controls.

2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/03/12 at 14:07:23

T-Dawg wrote on 06/22/12 at 20:59:43:
Oh yea... went down to the home improvement store here... bought the stuff and did the seat lift mod... made a big difference. Raised it about an inch... might go for another half inch or so.

Also, just bought some Pirelli MT66 Routes online @ AmericanMotoTire.com .... they have awesome customer service. 2-3 day priority shipping to an FPO address for $35 aint' bad.

Got new tires, tubes and rim strips for under $233 shipped to Japan.

Hopefully I ordered the right stuff.

T-Dawg, congrats on your new find that will follow you home.   Smiley

FYI, I took my 1987 Savage to Okinawa, Japan back in Dec. 2005. I was working as a civilian on Kadena Air Base and the government allowed me to ship the motorcycle to Japan with my household goods.

I got it registered with Japanese plates and a base sticker. It was an overkill, I could go anywhere fast in 3rd gear. (Except on the tollway at 50 MPH, surface streets are nominally 35 MPH.)

The Pirelli Route 66 tires are fantastic for the Savage, I've got the 100/90H19 on the front and 130/90S15 on the rear. It's got reasonable traction at a good price.

The Savage was a hoot to ride on Okinawa. You don't see many out there. (It goes to show, because of the stricter licensing and higher insurance costs for motorcycles above 400 cc's, why the 400 cc size is very popular. Also I got to understand why the Japanese love plastic. My mint looking Savage looked her age filled with corrosion and faded paint when I returned back to New Mexico on Dec. 2007.)

BTW, it amazed me how many Japanese Nationals rode Harleys on Okinawa.

I've attached a picture from one of my rides up north in the village of Futami, near a hot/cold drink vending machine all by itself off the highway near a sugar cane field. (You'd never see that in US, would be vandalized.)

09_Futami_Opposite_Expressway.JPG
  IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #19 - 07/03/12 at 16:22:24

That's awesome man. I see those vending machines EVERYWHERE, haha. I don't drink coffee, but the green tea stuff is ok... except they tend to make it real earthy... like you are drinking green dirt.

Unfortunately I did not buy this bike in the states and have it shipped over. It has a Japanese title. From what I understand it would be a huge pain or maybe even impossible to have it switched to a US title. Otherwise I'd sink all my time and money into it and bring it back with me.

The licensing process here is nuts. They've made everything so difficult that it's almost not worth the trouble... almost. It's doable... just gotta know the order and the process.

And you're right about the corrosion. I have a cover now, but it rains ALL the time it seems, and there are no garages to park it in. The chrome on this bike looks bad... I'm gonna get some chrome polish, some aluminum polish, and some brushes and aluminum foil and work on making it look better. That will be the hardest thing I do on this bike.

Oh yea, and living where I'm at there is almost no need to ever get above 3rd gear, haha.

2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/03/12 at 20:28:32

T-Dawg wrote on 07/03/12 at 16:22:24:
That's awesome man. I see those vending machines EVERYWHERE, haha. I don't drink coffee, but the green tea stuff is ok... except they tend to make it real earthy... like you are drinking green dirt.

The neat thing about those vending machines is they dispensed cold as well as hot drinks. I could get of all things, creamed corn drink, izuke beans drink, chicken & rice broth, etc. Thus it could tide me over so I wouldn't have to stop at a restaurant during a ride. I've attached a picture of a familiar drink dispensed from one of those machines. Back then it was like around 105 Yen.  Smiley

Quote:
Unfortunately I did not buy this bike in the states and have it shipped over. It has a Japanese title. From what I understand it would be a huge pain or maybe even impossible to have it switched to a US title. Otherwise I'd sink all my time and money into it and bring it back with me.

I can understand that. Because of US EPA regulations, similar to Japan, it would be limited to earlier model bikes and they would have to comply with SAE rated lighting, AFAIK. Since my bike was earlier than 1996, it was easy to register. I still have the deregistration title from Japan; if I ever took it over there, I could re-title it.

Quote:
The licensing process here is nuts. They've made everything so difficult that it's almost not worth the trouble... almost. It's doable... just gotta know the order and the process.
Yes, for 1996 and new bikes, it is not worth importing.

Quote:
And you're right about the corrosion. I have a cover now, but it rains ALL the time it seems, and there are no garages to park it in. The chrome on this bike looks bad... I'm gonna get some chrome polish, some aluminum polish, and some brushes and aluminum foil and work on making it look better. That will be the hardest thing I do on this bike.

Yes, I understand. We got like 79 inches of rain a year, and the close proximity to the ocean laden the air with salt mist. My pristene highly chromed Highway Hawk package rack was reduced to heavy rust pits. To refurbish, I soaked in diluted muriatic acid to remove the rust. Then sanded the chrome to give adhesion to etching primer and sprayed it black. When I redo it, I will fill the rust pit holes with spotting putty, and refinish in acrylic enamel. Ditto for my Suzuki engine guard.

Quote:
Oh yea, and living where I'm at there is almost no need to ever get above 3rd gear, haha.

Actually a 250 would be more than adequate, a 125 would be sufficient, plus the fees and insurance are less.

Good luck on your endeavors and return safe. Appreciate all you are doing over there.   Smiley

Canned_Latte.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:18:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › My 1997 LS400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.