Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carburetor question (Read 98 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carburetor question
06/15/12 at 17:31:24

I've read numerous threads about the "issues" and potential solutions to the backfiring of the 650 engine.  I know this is pretty basic but here goes.....Must the carburetor be removed from the engine in order to do these modifications OR can these modifications be done with the carburetor remaining in place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Carburetor question
Reply #1 - 06/15/12 at 17:52:03

YOu can do jets on the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/15/12 at 18:18:56

If you can remove the screws... you can do it on the bike...
Some are easy,.. some near impossible...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/15/12 at 18:51:47

tizzyfit wrote on 06/15/12 at 17:31:24:
I've read numerous threads about the "issues" and potential solutions to the backfiring of the 650 engine.  I know this is pretty basic but here goes.....Must the carburetor be removed from the engine in order to do these modifications OR can these modifications be done with the carburetor remaining in place.

If you are modding the carb for the sole purpose of eliminating some backfire on deceleration, you could be making a big mistake. This bike is know for a good bit of it, so if you can't stand any, you very likely have the wrong motorcycle. You do not mod a carb that is running good and correctly.
I know,....that did not answer your question, but you deserve to know....sorry.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/15/12 at 19:06:32

How could you not like backfiring? Unless it happens during acceleration, it's one of my favorite parts about a carbureted vehicle.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/16/12 at 05:06:05

There are a zillion horse ranches around the curvy and hilly terrian here, and horses HATE backfire,......puts them on a dead panick run that could make them go right thru fences etc. So I soon learned to control the backfire when I feel the need to,.....its not hard to learn. My only problem is the lack of signs that read,."HORSE RANCH AHEAD" Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/16/12 at 05:51:36

Routy wrote on 06/15/12 at 18:51:47:

If you are modding the carb for the sole purpose of eliminating some backfire on deceleration, you could be making a big mistake. This bike is know for a good bit of it, so if you can't stand any, you very likely have the wrong motorcycle. You do not mod a carb that is running good and correctly.

Sorry Routy but I do not agree.
It is not a mistake to adjust a carburetor so that the engine runs better.
Just because it came from the factory with a backfiring issue does not mean that is the best setup for the engine.
Carburetors are made with removable/changeable jets for a reason...so they can be changed to meet the needs of the engine and if the engine is not running smoothly then something is wrong.
Imagine what would happen if the factory sold their sport bikes with the engine backfiring ?  Think that would last long ?  Nope.
It is not the nature of a single cylinder engine to backfire.  It is the carburetor setup (driven by the EPA paper pushers) chosen by the factory that causes it.
The carburetor has jets that can be changed and screws that can be adjusted...so change and adjust to fit the needs of the engine.
A properly tuned carb will enable the LS650 engine to run well and smoothly without backfiring.  It is just a fact.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/16/12 at 08:02:03

Routy wrote on 06/15/12 at 18:51:47:

+ 1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/16/12 at 08:58:33

Must the carburetor be removed from the engine in order to do these modifications OR can these modifications be done with the carburetor remaining in place.

Some of these issues are caused by a dirty carb... removal required.
Although with persistent effort can be done on the bike.
The screws seem like they are welded on, you can try with a screw driver with lots of force to keep it from stripping, a little penetrating oil on the threads and several busted knuckles later, you may have it apart.  As a last resort you can grip the head of the screws with a small vice grip and break 'em loose that way.  You'll then need to pry on the battery box a bit to get clearance to drop the bowl.  Once you get the top and the bottom off you can loosen the clamps and rotate the carb to see the bottom w/out a mirror.

don't expose the rubber parts to brake cleaner, they're expensive.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/16/12 at 09:20:59

While it is true, that not all bikes need rejetting... odds are against it...

Bikes are jetted to pass emissions under specific conditions, then shipped all over...
If you ride mostly in moderate temperatures, at moderate elevations, in moderate humidity, and don't modify anything, it might be jetted perfect...
... like,... inside a shopping mall ?... Huh...

People ride from below sea level to 16k ft, in temperatures from freezing to 100+, in deserts and swamps...
... and most, modify their bikes, at least a little...

Most people that don't rejet, are just afraid to...  
If you go a step at a time, a stage at a time,... it ain't that scary.  And you can always put it back like it was...
Just don't rejet, thinking you will make a fire breather... you won't.  
More jetting doesn't equal more power,.. correct jetting does... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.