Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting back on the street tracker... with pics. (Read 88 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Starting back on the street tracker... with pics.
06/15/12 at 12:57:58

I'm always bored when I'm having back trouble. Been out of work for over a week. Going stir crazy.

Wandered down to the forge and brought back the seat for the 63 Honda scrambler turned tracker. Have been stitching up the welting for the new seat cover. Black vinyl hand stitched over weed eater string. Seat top will be a light grey outdoor Cordura type fabric. Bike is being painted to better match my dark green and white 69 Dodge truck (which has a multi-tone gray interior).

Here is how it stands now...

Seat is off an exercise machine, fits the Honda frame perfectly. And fits my butt. And is rubber covered from the factory, no more soggy seat foam. Pipes are off a CB72 (street version). Amal replica perches and levers, replica Honda Super Bike grips and end caps. Mirror will be the HD unit off my truck (long story) or a set of small HD spec, they fit the lever pin holes perfectly (8mm drop through style). Front wheel is being replaced with a 19" TLS big drum unit off an early 69 Suzuki GT750 (same as a 500 Titan front wheel).

Local engine shop will be doing the engine as he has 40 years of motorcycle racing trophies in his front window. I can still get everything it might need, cheaper than Savage parts. Most direct from Honda (go figure, best QC, best customer service, stands to reason they have ancient parts). Electronic ignition conversion since the dual points factory plate is shot.

Going to finish painting the Savage rear fender this weekend, I hope. Can't ride but sick of it looking like a scrap yard reject. Want it ready to go when I am cleared to ride.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Starting back on the street tracker... with pi
Reply #1 - 06/16/12 at 04:52:14

Sorry to hear about the back troubles WD (I can sympathize) but that looks like a really fun project  Cheesy  Where did you come across the Honda, looks like it's been sitting unloved for quite a while.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 06/16/12 at 10:06:49

Got it in 2007 from a co-worker out in Washington state. Bike had been a cafe racer at one time (hence the street pipes), then a fire road beater. Hadn't been in use since the late 70s or early 80s, yet was not frozen up (unlike now). The tires are even still flexible and hold air for months at a stretch. But will get changed to modern ties anyway.

I'll keep documenting the build, even though it isn't a Savage, there are lots of vintage bike enthusiasts here. And it is a factory Scrambler, so the folks converting Savages can see how an actual 60s Scrambler was put together.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/18/12 at 05:34:27

WinkVery cool project dude

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:18:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Starting back on the street tracker... with pics.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.