Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is a fork brace, and why would I need one? (Read 275 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
What is a fork brace, and why would I need one?
06/15/12 at 08:44:54

I've seen the term "fork brace" used several times, usually in some discussion of highway riding.  What is it, and what does it do?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: What is a fork brace, and why would I need one
Reply #1 - 06/15/12 at 08:47:42

A fork brace is a piece of metal, usually aluminum, that you bolt between the two lower sliders of your front fork. It prevents flex in the forks and makes them rigid so that you get less wobble on uneven roads, turns, and at lower speeds.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 06/15/12 at 10:45:15

splash07 wrote on 06/15/12 at 08:47:42:
It prevents flex in the forks and makes them rigid so that you get less wobble on uneven roads, turns, and at lower speeds.

At least that's the theory.   Fork braces have been around for a long time, and in some circles I've ridden in they are somewhat controversial; some folks swear by them, others can't tell any difference (like me).

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/15/12 at 10:57:09

I'm with 360k on this... I think most people that buy fork braces, are actually looking for the benefit of a steering damper...

Our stock front fender is steel and has extra metal reinforcing in it... I don't notice any difference between my bike without a fork brace, and my buddy Gerry's Savage with one...
Gerry, on the other hand swears he does... as do many others...

For problems like speed wobble, and highway wind buffeting, and brake shudder, a steering stabilizer does the job...
Fork braces just might make a difference with uneven road surfaces and tar snakes at low speeds...

I come from dirt riding, and tend to be insensitive to these... Huh...

JMHO... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 06/15/12 at 11:11:22

I've debated getting one (even considered trying to have one made) but haven't done it yet.

SuperBrace has a simulation of what they say it does. Watch this: http://www.superbrace.com/simulation.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/15/12 at 11:25:06

Man!... there is so much wrong with that "simulation"...   Roll Eyes...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 06/15/12 at 11:39:49

Basically what it does, along with the axle and fender, is stop the two sliders from working independently of each other. I had one on before the rake kit, and it made (to me ) a substantial improvement on bad roads.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/15/12 at 12:25:30

Serowbot wrote on 06/15/12 at 11:25:06:
Man!... there is so much wrong with that "simulation"...   Roll Eyes...

No there isn't just over done,I had a that brace on a bike 35 years ago I thought it helped,Since that bike I had 10 others and never thought about using it again,I got on here and they talked about it and S40 has small forks so I got one and had it on 3 days after I got the bike so hard to say how much it help,The place I notice on the first one because I had the bike a while before I put it was going around bumping curves it helps.If you live in the south and the ground doesn't freeze,I wouldn't think you will notice it much.Because your road are smoother.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/15/12 at 13:16:58

I think that I will use it only if I remove the front fender, as I think it needs something to hold them together

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/15/12 at 13:17:30

I've ridden bikes with and bikes without. The longer the fork tubes the more noticeable the difference. Even with its puny fork tubes, the front end on our bikes isn't very flexible. The springs on the other hand are pretty light. So it might help balance out side to side rate differences.

Want a real difference? Get a steering stabilizer. Not cheap but worth every penny on rough roads, especially with primitive hydraulic forks. Side by side, my 1963 Honda's fork are more advanced than those on my 1998 Savage.

You can find good stabilizers at shops that handle cafe racer parts. Try www.fastfromthepast.com for a good starting point.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 06/15/12 at 14:07:03

WD wrote on 06/15/12 at 13:17:30:
Want a real difference? Get a steering stabilizer.

Hi-jacking my own thread... Grin ...but what's a steering stabilizer?

Dave

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/15/12 at 14:46:53

I've seen different methods, but most employ a tiny shock absorber connected between one fork only and the frame.   It dampens the steering as the shock takes up small jerks and vibrations caused by the road.  It also gives the steering a kind of squishy liquid feel from side to side.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/15/12 at 15:44:25

It's kinda' like those things that stop big office doors from slamming...

Hmmmm?... a DIY office door steering stabilizer... Undecided...

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 06/15/12 at 16:23:51

babyhog wrote on 06/15/12 at 11:11:22:
I've debated getting one (even considered trying to have one made) but haven't done it yet.

SuperBrace has a simulation of what they say it does. Watch this: http://www.superbrace.com/simulation.html

That looks RIDICULOUS and totally wrong. From what I understand is that the brace is to prevent the individual forks from getting out of sync with each other. Without the brace, the only thing keeping the forks at the same position is the axle, which is pretty friggin' small. A steel fender will do the trick but a plastic fender on a sportbike? Not-so-much.

I've seen plenty of companies that sell products, even very popular products, that have no idea what they do.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 06/15/12 at 16:39:34

As a bit of an aside here, I have noticed no difference since removing the SuperBrace and installing the rake kit. I suspect it has something to do with the extra width (the new trees are about 4" wider than the old ones) providing a wider stance, the heavier fork tubes, and the progressive springs. I was all ready to buy a T=Kat, but I don't think I need one.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:35:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is a fork brace, and why would I need one?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.