Send Topic Print
clutch issue (Read 210 times)
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

west allis (dirtystallis)
clutch issue
06/14/12 at 08:10:03

okay little background. so bought a 02 in march from a place called road track and trail, she ran kind of crummy till week before memorial weekend when it died at a stop light. Did some digging when I found this AWESOME website! thank you all for your knowledge. Saw that my oil window was pitch black. With beginner skills at repair, that weekend I pulled the tank off did a raptor, added a fuel filter, cleaned out the carb (Mikuni), air filter box and filter. dumped out the 2qrts oil and 3 qrts gas, replaced with 5-w40 (after reading the coin tossing with oil wights discussion). Had to do it twice forgot the first time to turn off the pet, gas all over the place.  Angry ...
Now she is running like a champ  Cheesy popping and crackling along like she should and while out bumming round two weeks ago I pulling up to a stop light shifted into N and she would NOT go into 1st and will tap into 2nd but won't sit in 2nd.  found that if I rev it a little, it will go into 2nd but will still not go into first. This happens at randomly now. I'm not beating the heck out of the bike either. anyone have any idea what i should look at doing first?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: clutch issue
Reply #1 - 06/14/12 at 08:26:52

clutch cable tight enough?

arm between the marks?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/14/12 at 08:39:09

How much can you move the clutch lever with your pinky?

Have you been stomping the shifter to get in first sitting still, in neutral, with clutch pulled?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

Reply #3 - 06/14/12 at 08:50:55

I can pull the lever about half way with my pinky but there is resistance all the way. there is not much thread left at the end of the cable cover thing. its loosly in there too. Ill tighten that.
No i don't have to stomp on it to get it in on a regular basis or sitting still. its a nice hard click/clunk when it goes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/14/12 at 09:08:44

should be between the mark just pulling hard enough to take up the slack

WWW   IP Logged
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

Reply #5 - 06/14/12 at 09:16:13

resting it is even with the top mark... should i lower it so it is in the middle?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 09:20:01

middle range would be better, here's the thread...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838/30

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/14/12 at 09:27:27

residualsilver28 wrote on 06/14/12 at 08:50:55:
I can pull the lever about half way with my pinky but there is resistance all the way. there is not much thread left at the end of the cable cover thing. its loosly in there too. Ill tighten that.
No i don't have to stomp on it to get it in on a regular basis or sitting still. its a nice hard click/clunk when it goes.

M aybe I should have been more careful, not all pinkies are created equal. I knew a guy who could do pullups with his pinkies & he weighed 180 to 200 pounds,,
How far can ya move the lever without moving the actuator on the motor? If its more than 1/4 inch, the cable is too loose. The answer to that could be in the adjustment on the handlebar or down on the motor or the rod inside or a combo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

Reply #8 - 06/14/12 at 10:04:43

im going to adjust the cable down so it sits in the middle and see if that works. if not ill try the next thing..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/14/12 at 10:33:35

There has to be some slack in the cable, always,

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 06/14/12 at 11:54:26

residualsilver28 wrote on 06/14/12 at 10:04:43:
im going to adjust the cable down so it sits in the middle and see if that works. if not ill try the next thing..

Adjusting the cable doesn't adjust your clutch, it only adjusts cable slack and the position of the lever when the clutch engages/disengages.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/14/12 at 20:52:51

Too much play = possible residual clutch engagement

Too little play = possible non release of clutch (and possible slippage)

If 1st (or any) gear offers resistance, lighten clutch lever a bit while pressing shifter to allow the gear dogs to find their holes.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

Reply #12 - 06/16/12 at 07:23:20

i was playing with it a little yesterday and will give another attempt today. If i loosen it enough to sit between the marks then its so loose that clutch lever goes limp(that reads really wrong). maybe I'm just retarded lol Undecided. maybe ill put some weights the end so it goes back down... after reading the above linked discussion sounds like I may need a longer rod?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/16/12 at 14:57:47

residualsilver28 wrote on 06/16/12 at 07:23:20:
i was playing with it a little yesterday and will give another attempt today. If i loosen it enough to sit between the marks then its so loose that clutch lever goes limp(that reads really wrong). maybe I'm just retarded lol Undecided. maybe ill put some weights the end so it goes back down... after reading the above linked discussion sounds like I may need a longer rod?

No, you don't adjust the cable till it's in between ($%@#!) adjust the cable to remove all but an 1/8" at the lever and if the arm isn't between you gotta replace the rod.

It's usually the opposite of what you think, dam tricky adjustment.
So if you buy a new rod, don't just buy one, buy them all especially if you don't know which one you got.

WWW   IP Logged
residualsilver28
YaBB Newbies

deal with it

Reply #14 - 06/16/12 at 16:32:44

verslagen1 wrote on 06/16/12 at 14:57:47:
[quote author=627563797465717C63797C6675622228100 link=1339686604/0#12 date=1339856600
It's usually the opposite of what you think, dam tricky adjustment.
So if you buy a new rod, don't just buy one, buy them all especially if you don't know which one you got.

Do i buy them from a dealer, ebay or someplace else? it looks like a kinda easy diy job. if i ask for all three lengths will they know what I'm talking about or will they give me a the deer in the headlights look?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.