Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock (Read 394 times)
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Raptor Petcock
06/14/12 at 04:33:39

hello im a newbie so here goes my first question. Just got my Savage yesterday and the first thing i want to do is change the Petcock. i like the idea of an Off position. My problem is the local Yamaha dealer (im in Brisbane Australia) can get me a genuine one... from Japan, in about 3 to 4 weeks and for $135 !!! I can buy one off ebay from Zoom Zoom Parts in Michigan but it doesn't say if its genuine or a cheap copy, for $28.40 and $23 (big difference? ) shipping and it will take about the same time to get here. So does anybody know of this company or their product OR somewhere else to get one? Thanks Scott.

IP Logged
bojangals43
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsville, Indiana
Re: Raptor Petcock
Reply #1 - 06/14/12 at 04:50:54

I ordered an "off brand" from Ebay ealier this year for about $28 (free shipping).  It does the job and I have no complaints.  The only reason the other one costs more is because it's probably OEM so therefore calls for a higher price.  There shouldn't be a difference in the product though, just the price.  You're probably looking in the right place unless someone local has one for a decent price in stock.  Good luck!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/14/12 at 06:03:06

Go cheap. You can go cheap 3 times & still not be in the hole,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/14/12 at 10:10:15

Watch out guys, the Ebay chinese units shown in this post are all short stem units that might not install to suit you (very short).

The eBay Rapot petcock thing is a bit funny.

You can buy a Chinese one brand new with shipping for $ 8.50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Switch-Valve-Petcock-250cc-Hummer-A...

You can buy a new Factory one for $ 15.95 plus $ 5.95 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-OEM-FUEL-PETCOCK-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-50-YFM50-Y...

Or you can buy a used 2009 model one for $ 24.95 plus $ 12.95 shipping from one of those salvage places:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-YAMAHA-YFM350R-YFM-350-R-RAPTOR-FUEL-SHUT-OFF-VA...

I got my Raptor from Ron Ayers and it was $ 18.46 - I needed some other parts and was already going to have to pay shipping anyhow.

Not sure about the guality of the Chinese ones.....they have substituted plastic tubes wher the original uses brass.

« Last Edit: 06/15/12 at 14:05:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/14/12 at 11:19:22

Here is the long stem Raptor petcock that we have been recommending and using -- notice the long body stem to get the petcock down to where you can get to it easier when riding (even with gloves on in the winter time)?    That long body stem also permits the easy tank removal that people like the Raptor for.  

Short stem units as shown up thread fit a different ATV.   They may not work nearly as well on the Savage.

Somebody is going to have to prove this new short stem unit out for mounting and for tank removal before we all should be running out to buy them as a list.

Price is nice, though.   Hope it works out OK.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/14/12 at 13:55:27

OF,.. I have a short stem from a Raptor 350...  The outlet nozzle is smaller... it's a very, very loose fit for the fuel line ( had to use smaller one that barely fit the carb nozzle), and I had to file a bit on the tank lip to make it seat... Basically, no good...
Later,.. I swapped to the 660 Raptor petcock, ... perfection... Wink...

PS... if you look closely, you can see a slight curve filed into the tank lip, in the above pic that you posted...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 15:33:42

Thanks for the help. I guess the short answer is either get a cheap one or one off a different Raptor and fiddle with it to make it fit.. OR buy the genuine Yamaha one which fits perfectly, has no quality doubts and won't leak. Considering a fuel leak can make a big bang very easily not really a hard choice. I will suck it up, pay the extra $$ and do it properly the first time ! Again thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/15/12 at 10:31:05

I guess I lucked out when I bought mine.  I used the information on the Raptor Petcock in the technical section and got mine from Ron Ayers....and I go the correct one.

The long stem petcock is Yamaha part number 5LP-24500-01.

Savage_002.jpg

IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/15/12 at 18:15:20

Thanks for that Dave, rang a different local Yamaha dealer and asked for the part number above. He said oh! you have a 660 raptor? No but thats the petcock i need. Still has to come from Japan but will be here in 2 weeks and $96. Thanks everyone else for the help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/15/12 at 18:31:28

Scott.aust wrote on 06/15/12 at 18:15:20:
Thanks for that Dave, rang a different local Yamaha dealer and asked for the part number above. He said oh! you have a 660 raptor? No but thats the petcock i need. Still has to come from Japan but will be here in 2 weeks and $96. Thanks everyone else for the help.

No Wait!!!!!  You can order it from Ron Ayers for $ 18.46 + shipping and have it in less than a week!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 06/15/12 at 19:22:52

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/15/12 at 19:31:14

It's ok Dave, we do live in the global Internet world but I don't mind paying a bit extra, doing the right thing and shopping locally if I can. Keeps someone in a job!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #12 - 06/15/12 at 19:35:52

Scott.aust wrote on 06/15/12 at 19:31:14:
It's ok Dave, we do live in the global Internet world but I don't mind paying a bit extra, doing the right thing and shopping locally if I can. Keeps someone in a job!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #13 - 06/15/12 at 20:21:40

What do you guys recommend for plugging the vaccuum port on the carb?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/15/12 at 20:23:31

thats a good question which i would need to be asking in about 2 weeks anyway !

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:59:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.