Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not fun . . . at least I learned something . . . (Read 175 times)
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Not fun . . . at least I learned something . . .
06/13/12 at 20:10:51

So, I'm new here, and not just to the forum. I'm new to riding and motorcycles in general. A little background on me - I've hardly ever turned a wrench in my life. A little background on the bike - 2001 with a few minor issues. One of the issues I've been having was stumbling at WOT or high RPM's and running out of gas and then not being able to fill the tank much. The advice I got here was to run some Seafoam through a few tanks and look at replacing the petcock with a Raptor.

Easy you said . . .

After reading my Clymers like I was studying for a final, reading multiple forum posts, and even watching some Youtube videos about replacing it I decided it was easy enough even for a novice like me!

Bad idea.

Fast forward to tonight's journey... While I have the tank draining into my 2.5 gal gas can I was replacing my air filter. Why 2.5 gallons? Last time I filled it up was with less than 2 gallons and I've driven it since. There's not way it had anywhere near 2 gallons in it.

Next thing I know, gas is running all over my garage floor. Where the hell was all that gas hiding?! After that little hiccup I got the old petcock out and the new Raptor in, put some gas in the tank, small little leak.

"I probably just didn't tighten the bolts down enough," I thought.

Nope. Still leaking. Back to square one.

Drain the tank again, start undoing the bolts, now I have a cascade of gas running down the bike, on me, and on the garage floor again.

Thankfully, I had a 'Just-In-Case' bucket nearby that I was able to catch most of this torrent in.

Get the Raptor out, everything looks fine, gaskets fine, no idea what happened. So I bolted it back in and put some more gas in the tank.

No leaks - Success!

At this point the bike might be back together but my garage and the bike are a mess. I wheel the bike down the driveway to the flat portion near the bottom. I get the hose out and wash down the garage followed by me washing the bike down. After I dry it off I checked for leaks at the petcock - nothing, yay! Grab the keys and start her up right away. Side note - I wasn't on the bike, it was still on the kickstand.

So I'm feeling good at this point. I turn the bike off and congratulate myself on a job finally well done. As I turn and start to walk away the bike begins to fall.

nuts! (Actually it was more like F*#@ no!!!)

What's my reaction? Put as much of my body under it as I can to save the bike of course! My leg did catch most of it and I didn't see any damage on the bike. Thank goodness for good boots! Little surface damage on the leg but could have been worse.

After she was back up she started up and seemed fine on my lap around the block.

Lessons learned tonight :
1. Always overestimate the amount of space you need in a gas can
2. Always triple check any work on the fuel system before filling the tank with gas.
3. Gas smells.
4. That smell really sticks with you.
5. Always check the kickstand before you walk away from the bike.
6. I need to find a good bike mechanic in the area just in case I really screw up the next job.

I don't mean for this to seem negative - self depreciating, yes; sarcastic, yes; funny for all you guys, very.

This really was a good learning experience for me. Everything seems fine now so I can't really complain. The journey wasn't fun but I got to my destination. I wouldn't have even felt comfortable enough to attempt this if it weren't for all the guidance and support on this forum.

On that note, any advice for me before I pick up a wrench again? For the sake of the bike, I won't be rushing into anything.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Not fun . . . at least I learned something . .
Reply #1 - 06/13/12 at 20:23:31

Crap happens. Remember the more work you do the better you get at it.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #2 - 06/13/12 at 20:29:07

7. In the end, your first attempt at working on your bike was a success; that's the most important lesson to take from this.

As for #5, our bikes are infamous for rolling off their kickstands. Leave it in gear.

And, hey, welcome to the forum! You'll learn a ton here as I have from a great bunch of experienced people who are always willing to help.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/13/12 at 21:14:18

Kyle wrote on 06/13/12 at 20:10:51:
On that note, any advice for me before I pick up a wrench again? For the sake of the bike, I won't be rushing into anything.

well, kyle, anybody that says they don't have the same experience... says they saw someone else did it.  so, we don't laugh at you, but with you.   Cool

every dollar spent doing the job yourself is a dollar well spent even if you spent ten instead of one.  after that, the lesson is a little expensive.   Roll Eyes

so don't give up

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/13/12 at 22:06:09

About half way in,... I was waiting for the flames and explosions... Grin...

You did good...  no flames, no explosions... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - 06/14/12 at 01:34:36

Quote:
5. Always check the kickstand before you walk away from the bike.

LOL Always good to put the sidestand down, only time I've fallen off the LS was at 0 MPH LOL In a moment of madness I pulled out of my garage stopped to get off and lock the door, leant the bike over whilst still stitting on it a suddenly realised the stand wasn't down... At least my shoulder took the force and the bike wasn't scuffed up....  Wink

A Broken shoulder and my mates are still laughing a year later.... Grin

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 01:56:56

Yep; stuff happens

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/14/12 at 03:37:52

Some days go very well when working on bikes....some days not so good.  It is all part of the experience.

A couple of months ago I was putting my dual sport in the garage up next to the Trials bike.  I put them close together to save space, and it works well as the dual sport has the kick stand on the left (normal) and the Trials bike has the kickstand on the right side of the swingarm (not normal).  I believe the next thing that happened was the kick stand on the dual sport was not fully extended and it folded up - and the next thing I know I have the dual sport tipping away from me and I have the left handlebar in my right hand with the bike about 6" from the ground - and this tipping resulted in the Trials bike tipping away from it's kickstand and the flimsy plastic rear fender of the trials bike is in my left hand while the bike is trying to tip over to the left side away from the kick stand.  My arms are far apart and holding up the bikes.......kind of like an Iron Cross on the rings in the Olympics.  I stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out how I was going to get out of this and which bike I should drop......and I just reached waaaaay down in my gut and found enough strength to pull the dual sport up and simultaneously pull the Trials bike toward me using the rear fender as a very flimsy plastic leash.  I was able to get out of the incident with both me and the bikes intact - but I almost simultaneously damaged both bikes in an instant.

Stuff happens......sometimes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/14/12 at 06:56:21

kyle,
There are three things that will never turn out well
1. giving a monkey a loaded gun
2. answering "yes dear" when you were not really listening to the question
3. and giving me a tool
All three have very predictable results. But for some reason I keep on saying "yes dear" and keep on working on the bike.

Don't stop working on it. It is half the fun and one of the main reasons I bought my bike. Now run, here comes the monkey.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 06/14/12 at 14:43:38

Sounds all good to me.

As to dropping the bike.... yeah I just did that. Caught it with my legs as i was off the bike and was just "wiggling it" I just just taken it out of gear...

Lesson: Bike should always be in gear when parked.

No damage to the bike that I can find... legs.. barely scratched. Note: I LOVE my light bike!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/14/12 at 22:07:05

I've had my bike for 14 years. Can't tell you how many times it has ended up on it's side... hot pavement (kickstand sinks, bike falls over), not fully in gear (rolls off kickstand, bike falls over), working on it and hit my head on the handlebar (I get up, bike gets kicked, bike falls over)...

I've been spinning wrenches for better than 3 decades (started working on 30s, 40s, 60 and 70s vehicles when I was 4, tall enough to stand on the bumper and reach the engine). I still make mistakes. Have had street motorcycles for 1/4 century next month. Still make riding errors.

All part of the fun.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #11 - 06/14/12 at 23:44:43

I've nailed the whole list not more than 2 years ago. Particularly the needing a bigger gas can portion...

Ya live, ya learn. Nothing is ever as tight, small, compact, hard to get to, abstract, missing, hard to find, doesn't look like the photo, or as damaged as you may expect.

Point being, you did it which is more than what the majority of owners can say. And you made us laugh in the process... by causing many of us to remember our woes! Keep up the wrenching, the next joke may be just around the corner.  Cool

P.S. I thought changing the petcock was a real PITA compared to more complex jobs because I didn't have enough arms.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/15/12 at 13:48:39

I have to agree.  In the end, it was a success with a bit of learning involved.  All good stuff.  I also agree that the more you do it the better you get, though there are always new "learning experiences".  Good job!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 06/15/12 at 16:58:52

A couple of my bikes had a peg near the kickstand swivel that locked into a hole on the mount when you leaned the bike over.   The bike couldn't roll forward unless weight was taken off the stand allowing it to drop down and out of the hole.   I think both my Harleys had that feature, but it may have been another make???

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 06/16/12 at 04:44:29

Kyle in a few years when you can change the oil, adjust the belt tension and change the brakes with your eyes closed, you'll think back at this experience get a good chuckle and be glad that you didn't give up wrenching on your own bike   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:28:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Not fun . . . at least I learned something . . .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.