babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Brake line
06/13/12 at 16:49:19

Does anyone know if there is a difference in year models for our rear brake cable?  I mean the actual line that actuates the brake from the pedal.  From what I looked up, I think its all the same part number, but for some reason, in my mind, I thought there was some difference on my bike vs. my son's bike -- '06 vs. '87.   His broke and I'm shopping for a new one.  Don't have his bike handy to check against pics, but I found a decent one on ebay from Pinwall from an '09.  Just wanted to ask before I hit the buy-it-now.

« Last Edit: 06/19/12 at 09:22:50 by babyhog »  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Brake line
Reply #1 - 06/13/12 at 20:15:05

lol Babyhog I just bought the left hand switch off that same bike.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/13/12 at 21:20:17

I think they're the same.

the fishe says 58510-24B10 (replaces 58510-24B00)

so they're maybe some differences but should fit.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/13/12 at 22:45:44

How the heck did you break that, Piglet?...
Grin...

All the same as far as I know... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 06/14/12 at 07:58:21

Serowbot wrote on 06/13/12 at 22:45:44:
How the heck did you break that, Piglet?...
Grin...

All the same as far as I know... Wink...

Figured any would work, even if there is some small difference.

Mine's not broken, son's is.  There's a little rubber boot up near where the line hooks to the pedal.  The break is under that little rubber boot, I believe.  I didn't get to look at it, but that's what they are telling me (hubby and son).  I have no idea how he broke it.  Stomping the brake pedal?  I'll do a better inspection when we get the replacement in and swap them out.

Thanks all!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/14/12 at 08:10:36

'09 model $4.95, what's the extra strand laying there?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130707811471

'98 model $8.95, looks a little rougher, little rusty, has the back arm attached, but I don't need it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200734360242

So why is the newer one cheaper?  What am I missing?  Granted, the total difference (including different shipping charges on both) is $3.00, so I don't care which one I order.  Hubby said "why are you making this so difficult?"  So I told him to pick one and he wouldn't.... so... I'll let you guys pick for me...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 08:17:11

top one has the switch cable too, cheaper I'd go for this one.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 06/14/12 at 08:28:34

verslagen1 wrote on 06/14/12 at 08:17:11:
top one has the switch cable too, cheaper I'd go for this one.

Kiss  Kiss  Thank you

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/14/12 at 21:18:35

Make sure he understands that cables need to be lubed. That's about the only way that one can break, it dries out, the boot cracks, water gets in, cable rusts. Cable then breaks. Best bet on that cable is NOT spray lube, use 3 in 1 or similar light oil, keep dripping it in until it comes out the far end.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 06/15/12 at 06:38:18

Thanks WD.  His was an old bike that we rebuilt (had been totally disassembled), I think the brake line came from an extra parts bike and I doubt that we lubed it, so you probably hit the nail on the head.  Good reminder for me to check mine too!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 06/19/12 at 09:22:39

Well, for anyone wondering, there is a slight difference in the brake lines.  Nothing that didn't transfer just fine, but some of the rubbers over joints are a little different, and the biggest difference was the rear section of the line.  The older models were a solid rod, the newer one I just bought (from an '09) and the one on mine (an '06) are a cable.  Its the section that lies just beside the muffler.  

Got the new one installed, no problems (although he cussed alot because we didn't wait for the exaust to cool down!)  

He also wanted to put the rear fender back on, so his girlfriend could ride with him.  That went ok, until we realized the rear pegs had been CUT off.  Ended up removing the rear tire, cutting off what little was left of the peg bolt, drilled out the hole, and reinstalled the rear pegs.  They eventually rode off happy....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:19:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake line

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.