Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Added a tachometer...works w/o grnd connection.. (Read 127 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Added a tachometer...works w/o grnd connection..
06/12/12 at 11:15:05

So, I snagged one of the small digital tachometer/hour meter gadgets.  It has one wire that you simply clip onto the spark plug wire, and a 2nd ground wire that you attach to somewhere grounded on the engine.  I attached it to the center of the handlebars with two black cable ties, and clipped the positive lead to the spark plug wire.  I couldn't see a good ground connection nearby, so I decided to wait until it was daylight and look for one.

The next time I started the bike up, I had forgotten that I hadn't connected this ground wire.  I looked down at the tachometer, and whaddaya know...it seems to work fine without the ground wire connected.  OK... Grin...I guess I won't bother connecting the ground wire, eh?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Added a tachometer...works w/o grnd connection
Reply #1 - 06/12/12 at 13:19:09

Ain't believin' it without a pic   Wink  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 06/12/12 at 13:27:20

Would love a pic as well.. I Soooooo want a tach.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 18:18:04

Grin  Not sure how I'd prove it, even with a photo.  Trust me, it works without the ground connection.  Not sure how accurate it actually is (with or without the ground), but it definitely works.  Wink

Here's the one I got:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/270976033188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

The picture isn't accurate though...it has "wings" on each side, which is what I ran the cable ties through.  

Dave

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 06/13/12 at 12:26:43

I just didn't believe you installed one at all...   Wink  just messing with you, really.  

I guess what I was mostly wondering was the size and looks of it.  Checked out the ebay listing and don't see any dimensions there either.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 06/13/12 at 13:02:35

LOL...no sweat.  Wink

If I recall, it's...around 1.5" high x 3" wide x 1/2" deep or so...something like that.  It's small.  I'll try to get a pic of it later today.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Added a tachometer...works w/o grnd connection..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.