Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
YAOQ (yet another oil question) (Read 246 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: YAOQ (yet another oil question)
Reply #15 - 06/12/12 at 13:36:54

I've had a lot of bikes with that little oil sight window and have no problem with it,And I don't see why anyone wouldn't put the oil level to the top line not in the middle.When you do a car do you go to the top line or in the middle of it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 06/12/12 at 13:44:28

Depends on the car. If it has a vertical oil filter it gets pre-filled and the oil goes to the top of the line. If it has a horizontal filter (like the Savage) I'll add the required amount, which is over the line until the engine is run. After shutdown and cool down the oil should be at or under the top line. Or there are my good engines, fill to the line, then fill the oil filter canister after dropping in a new filter cartridge. And yes, some bikes use that system as well.

Bikes with site glass can be tricky for some folks. As long as the oil is within the lines with the bike set per the manual (upright or on stand, either can be right, depends on bike) the level is fine. Over the top line is over filled, under the bottom line is under filled.

Since the Savage calls for such a goofy way to check the oil, I just go with 2 quarts and say good enough. With a heavy duty highway service 20W50 like I run, a cup of oil either way is irrelevant.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 06/12/12 at 14:56:33

I would rather have it a little over the top line than under,You know it not going to hurt anything being over the line or they would have the top line lower.I would think it would run a little cooler with more oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #18 - 06/12/12 at 15:52:37

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/12 at 11:42:00:
leaning the bike only drains the cam bath and may get the oil caught in the gaskets for the side covers.  and does not drain the passage ways, so oil start immediately.

Interesting point, eventually all the oil will get changed anyway even if you leave a few percent in the engine at each service.   And as you say, it may prevent temporary oil starvation to some components on startup (slightly dirty oil for a few seconds is preferable to no oil).

bill67 wrote on 06/12/12 at 14:56:33:
I would rather have it a little over the top line than under,You know it not going to hurt anything being over the line or they would have the top line lower.I would think it would run a little cooler with more oil.

One time on my beemer I was adding the oil after a service.   I got to the point where the oil was at the top line, but I went ahead dumped the last of the quart in just to empty the bottle.    HUGE mistake!  When they say to top of the line on a beemer, they mean it, because on my next trip it blew oil out the breather all over the motor.   The beemer used almost 5 quarts with filter, so I thought a little over the mark wouldn't be that significant - wrong!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 06/12/12 at 20:18:02

The one and only BMW I've ever had blew up right after a service. Late models will puke out the extra oil, my R51 grenaded. Transmission trouble, followed by locked drive shaft, followed by the engine blowing up. Blew the back half off so violently it ripped the frame apart.

Haven't over filled a bike since and still won't own a shaft drive.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 07/29/12 at 19:06:19

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/12 at 11:42:00:
leaning the bike only drains the cam bath and may get the oil caught in the gaskets for the side covers.  and does not drain the passage ways, so oil start immediately.

Thanks, ver....makes sense.  I just made a note in my FSM reminding me NOT to tilt the bike while the old engine oil is draining.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 07/29/12 at 19:10:01

WD wrote on 06/12/12 at 20:18:02:
The one and only BMW I've ever had blew up right after a service. Late models will puke out the extra oil, my R51 grenaded. Transmission trouble, followed by locked drive shaft, followed by the engine blowing up. Blew the back half off so violently it ripped the frame apart.

Haven't over filled a bike since and still won't own a shaft drive.  Grin

There was some info going around a few years back about the factory recommending that you not fill engine oil much past the halfway mark on BMW motorcycles.  Seems they found that overfilling the engine oil was leading to excess carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, which then led to pinging.....

Ever since then, I've been a halfway kind of guy for all of my IC vehicles (can't hurt, could help).....I just watch the levels a little closer between oil changes.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/29/12 at 19:25:56

That's really only a problem with boxer engines like BMW, VW, Porsche & Subaru. Just a little too much gets picked up by the crank & thrown into the cylinders, sometimes damaging the rings. Way too much & the damage from the oil being pumped back & forth by the pistons causes catastrophic failure in a hurry.

Had a customer with a Subaru that was ruined in about 25 miles by 1 quart too much oil. Jiffy Lube had to buy him an engine, from the dealer & installed by the dealer.$$$$$$$.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › YAOQ (yet another oil question)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.