Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
500 mile roadtrip.....WOOHOO !! (Read 149 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
500 mile roadtrip.....WOOHOO !!
06/11/12 at 16:56:58

I just moved my wife to Ohio from Wisconsin. Loaded the bike in the truck to ride home. Her son and I rode around NE Ohio for a day...that was about 120 miles. I moteled in Geneva, Ohio. Next day I rode from there to South Bend Indiana. 11 1/2 hours. Motel overnight. Next day I rode from there to home in Racine, Wisconsin. 9 1/2 hours. I took highway 6, 303 and 20 all the way. Oh, and hyw. 41 along the Chicago shoreline. (Thus avoiding the tollway and $60 in tolls) (Not to mention avoiding Cleveland and Toledo) NE Ohio is very scenic around the Cuyahoga river valley. And NW Indiana is also quite scenic. Saw lots of deer along the way. Unfortunately, my route did take me through the heart of Gary, Indiana. What a poophole. I'll never go there again. Otherwise, no troubles with the bike whatsoever, which surprised the hell out of me. Oh, 1 small issue.....my a$$ is killing me. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 500 mile roadtrip.....WOOHOO !!
Reply #1 - 06/11/12 at 17:12:08

Cool!!!.. Cool...  
...shoulda' took the time for at least one pic though... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/11/12 at 17:14:59

Ya, I thought of that after we left. I forgot to bring the camera with.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 05:24:00

That is some beautiful countryside.  Too bad you forgot the camera, but glad you had a nice trip!  So are you moving too?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 06/12/12 at 06:08:44

Smiley

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/13/12 at 19:11:18

babyhog wrote on 06/12/12 at 05:24:00:
That is some beautiful countryside.  Too bad you forgot the camera, but glad you had a nice trip!  So are you moving too?  

When I rode up to Alaska on my UltraGlide, I couldn't ride more than 10 miles without stopping for a picture of either wildlife or scenery.   As a result, it took all day to get anywhere - lol.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/14/12 at 05:19:05

Babyhog, no, unfortunately, we are seperated. She went "home" to Ohio. I stayed "home" in Wisconsin. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, I'm here, she's there.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 06/14/12 at 08:37:52

drums1 wrote on 06/14/12 at 05:19:05:
Babyhog, no, unfortunately, we are seperated. She went "home" to Ohio. I stayed "home" in Wisconsin. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, I'm here, she's there.

Bummer, well maybe a little separation will shed new light on the subject.  Best wishes to you!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 06/14/12 at 23:53:30

Just curious, what MPH did you average and what's your gearing configuration? Your trip could speak as a testimony of interstate trips the Savage is able to take. I just don't see a lot of stats on this and I find myself cruising at 70 MPH alot wondering if it's ok with the stock belt.

Awesome you made the trip! I find myself killing to get off the original seat after 2 hours. There is certainly something accomplishing about a completed road trip? Why no pics?? We all know cell phones come with cameras these days and text messaging that can send pictures directly to e-mail... NO excuse!  Cool

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 06/15/12 at 06:34:03

That's a great ride.  It's cool that you had time take the long way and enjoy.  I would've been tempted to ride north to Muskegon, MI and take the ferry to Milwaukee. I have no idea what that costs but I guess that's the price to avoid Gary.

After I rode my Savage about 120 miles up to Laconia Bike Week last year I went out and bought a gel/sheepskin cushion to make the ride home tolerable.  And that was only about 2 hours each way.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/16/12 at 06:25:39

Wake 51...my cellphone is a tracphone with no camera, and in the hustle and bustle of moving the wife, I completely forgot about bringing the regular camera. ( SOME excuse ) Gearing configuration? 4 speed. Mine is an old '87.

I didn't ride the Tollway at all except a portion of Hyw. 20 just south of South Bend. Otherwise I was on rural roads . I got it up to 65 for a ways between Bryan, Ohio and South Bend. Otherwise I prolly averaged around 55-60. Slower near all the little towns along the way. 45 along Lakeshore drive through Chicago, then 60ish up Hyw 41 to home.

The 1st day, 11 1/2 hours, the seat didn't bother me at all. I was surprised. The second day, 9 1/2 hours, I found myself stopping every 1/2 hour or so. Tailbone pain and numb cheeks. If I knew how to weld, I'd move the whole dam seat back about 4-5 inches. I'm 6'1" and even with Routy's forward controls, I find myself sitting on the back edge of the seat. Not too bad with a backrest of some sort. I used a travel bag for that purpose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › 500 mile roadtrip.....WOOHOO !!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.